Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2D to 3D BEst profile for best DVD quality Rip

Hi All

A bit new to fab, trying to figure out the best profile for the best rip.

What is recommended as the best profile to get the best quality rip. I'll be using XBMC and VLC to play my files on my HTPC, so playing VOB, AVI or MKV isn't a problem. I'd just like it to have the chapters in video file if possible. File size isn't an issue for me, i'll get more HDD space in any case.

Many Thanks
    Muk

An iso image since file size is not an issue.
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry should have mentioned I don't want ISO.

Comment

I must disagree with my good friend 90312.

I think the MKV container is far superior and you can use it compressed or uncompressed.

The debate on quality is very subjective and really it comes down to what YOU are happy with so I would suggest a little testing before you pour your efforts into encoding your library.

I'd give the mkv.passthrough and mkv.h264.audiocopy profiles a whirl.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I don't think we disagree mate one of his conditions is chapter markers. Are they now available in MKV files? I didn't think they were?

Albert Einstein

Comment

Last time I tested they were.

I also like MKV because I can mux in cover & fanart, info, etc, etc that can be used by XBMC, VLC, YAMJ, Thumbgen, etc.

I'll do a quick one now and yeah, it does.. MediaInfo and player shows that it does.

Menu
            00:00:00.000 : en01) 00:00:00:000
            00:06:18.000 : en02) 00:06:18:000
            00:12:24.000 : en03) 00:12:24:000
            00:16:39.000 : en04) 00:16:39:000

Stupid translation of MediaInfo data above!!
            Last edited by GregiBoy; 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I use MKV exclusively for my media player, as you can see chapter markers are not a big deal for me. In that case I agree completely MKV is the way to go.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Theirs no MKV passthrough for 3d blu ray movies....

Comment

Just not in Fab!!!!

Comment

Why not? Fab is Fabulous isn't it?

Comment

I would rate it "very Good" in most areas, not "Fabulous"!!

It still has it's shortcomings in some modules, some which have been present for the many years that I have been a user.

Comment

For the best DVD quality rip, what not use the profile "vob.passthrough" as playing vob isn't a problem for your device?

Comment

Because you cannot mux extra content into VOB's and Chapter Marks are required.

Originally posted by terry5 View Post
                          For the best DVD quality rip, what not use the profile "vob.passthrough" as playing vob isn't a problem for your device?

Comment

Ok so MKV is the route to go. I know you say I should test but could you give me what setting is the best as a possible reference to work against

Comment

Working...
                            X