Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subtitle Edit?

Originally posted by Nik_Simpson View Post
    Just Google "Subtitle Edit" and you'll find it.
    I've been a little busy and this is this first chance I've gotten to look into the subtitle editor. I found subtitle edit 3.3.12 by nikse.dk, I downloaded it and I'm trying to use it but when I use File / open it lists a slew of possible file extensions so where in the on disk copy of the disc should I be looking and what file type should I be looking for?

Comment

Yeah, that's the one.

First of all browse the DVD structure in the VIDEO_TS directory on your HDD and identify the set of VOB's that make up the main title.

The title is usually multiple VOB's of ~1Gb each.

Then in Subtitle Edit, Import/OCR subtitle from VOB/Ifo opening the IFO file of the same set.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Another simpler program if you find this to hard to handle or understand is DVDSubEdit.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Blu-Ray Subtitle files?

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          Yeah, that's the one.

First of all browse the DVD structure in the VIDEO_TS directory on your HDD and identify the set of VOB's that make up the main title.

The title is usually multiple VOB's of ~1Gb each.

Then in Subtitle Edit, Import/OCR subtitle from VOB/Ifo opening the IFO file of the same set.
          Thanks Greg, but generally I don't ripp regular dvd's and only use the ripper for blu-ray movies. I can't say if this problem is only with blu-ray or not but I'm browsing the blu-ray disc structure looking for the file I need to open. Would that be the playlist file for the title I want to edit or some other file? Then once I open the file in subtitle edit, is there any kind of online guide that outlines what I need to do or look at to fix it so that the ripper will be able to extract the subtitles?

One other question if you don't mind, in one of your previous posts you wrote this:
          To do that would be extremely difficult as there are so many permutations and combinations that the idiotic authoring studios can use as there is no real fixed standard
          I don't mean to be dense but this is confusing me for the following reasons: Both MPC and VLC are able to play the source playlist file and display proper subtitles, I'm sure that if I tried the DVDFab media player that it too would have no problem displaying any of the subtitle tracks. If these media players have no problems locating and displaying subtitles for the source why is the ripper having such a hard time and is unable to extract working subtitles (even when all English subtitle tracks are selected) when the media players seem to be able to without any problems? I mean if I had problems displaying subtitles in MPC, VLC or DVDFab Media Player then it would completely make sense that the ripper would in turn have a problem with subtitles but that doesn't appear to be the case?

- Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm@Home View Post
            I don't mean to be dense but this is confusing me for the following reasons: Both MPC and VLC are able to play the source playlist file and display proper subtitles, I'm sure that if I tried the DVDFab media player that it too would have no problem displaying any of the subtitle tracks. If these media players have no problems locating and displaying subtitles for the source why is the ripper having such a hard time and is unable to extract working subtitles (even when all English subtitle tracks are selected) when the media players seem to be able to without any problems? I mean if I had problems displaying subtitles in MPC, VLC or DVDFab Media Player then it would completely make sense that the ripper would in turn have a problem with subtitles but that doesn't appear to be the case?

- Norm
            You're not dense at all, Norm.

Subtitles are a relatively new feature for DVDFab, particularly remuxing into the file. Clearly, the DVDFab development team still has some work to do, as we've seen multiple issues with some pretty standard media players.

Fengtao - Can you please get someone to review the forums for the various subtitle issues, get them prioritized and knock them out in some upcoming releases?

Thanks,
            Fred

Comment

DVD Ripper Subtitles not working on some titles?

Thanks Fred, for me this problem with no sub-titles is getting to be a real problem. For a movie like Man Of Steel where everything is English and you don't need sub-titles this is not a problem. But, in movies like Elysium where in the beginning there's a lot of Spanish or in The Wolverine where there's a lot of Japanese and I can't seem to get sub-titles to work no matter what the ripper is useless since you really need sub-titles to know what's going on.

I've sent support an email with details and referenced this thread to see if I can get any acknowledgement that this is known and is in the queue to be worked on for a future release.

I'll post back if I get any information from support.

- Norm

Comment

Hi,

I‘ll try it later and tell you the result.

Wilson
                Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 01-07-2014, 04:34 AM.
                Please post your logs the default location is:
                For DVDFab 13: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\DVDFab13\Log
                For StreamFab: C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\StreamFab\log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.
                If it's the burning issue, please also attach burn log.

Thanks!

Comment

Does not show the forced subtitle when ripper DVD to mkv/mp4 with remux subtitle and "Display the forced subtitle only" option selected, but It's OK when select render subtitle.

Please wait some time to fix the issue.

Sorry for this to trouble you!

Wilson
                  Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson.Wang View Post
                    Does not show the forced subtitle when ripper DVD to mkv/mp4 with remux subtitle and "Display the forced subtitle only" option selected, but It's OK when select render subtitle.

Please wait some time to fix the issue.

Sorry for this to trouble you!

Wilson
                    Hi Wilson:

Thanks for looking into this problem; just for your information I use Ripp to Avi/h.264 and extract sub-titles to idx/sub file. and not mkv/mp4 with remux subtitle.

- Norm

Comment

I noticed that you are playing the file with MPC, I've tried to play the avi file with idx/sub subtitle file.
                      Does not show any subtitle in MPC but it's fine when playing with VLC, same file and same subtitle.

Please download VLC and see the result. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Not sure that it's the issue of MPC or DVDFab, need to check.

Wilson
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Wilson.Wang; 01-08-2014, 06:02 AM.

Thanks!

Comment

Confirm that it's a bug of DVDFab9, Fab8 is OK.
                        Thanks for your good feedback.
                        Please use the VLC to play the video first.

Wilson

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X