Cropping AND scaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Cropping AND scaling

Is it possible to do both of these at the same time? The configuration page gives the appearance that it can, but the end result seems to show that it cannot.

For example: Many television shows on DVD are badly framed. I'm currently trying to convert my Star Trek:TNG episodes into MP4 at 480x360 to save space on my hard drive. However, the black bars in the 640x480 screen image shift sizes greatly throughout the episode, so I've turned on the "keep aspect ratio" button and cropped the image so that it retains the 4:3 ratio and loses all the black bars on either side.

In the configuration page, everything looks good. The image shows a small border around the sample frame (which is to be expected). The source aspect ratio is set to 4:3, and "Size Zoomed In/Out on Source" is selected. Frame Resolution is set to 480x360 and the ripper is set to two-pass conversion in an attempt to get a slightly better quality (I realize that single-pass is almost as good, and I've not been impressed with results from CRF, which are too unpredictable for my taste.)

When the file is compiled, it's definitely created at 480x360, but the careful cropping I did is all gone - the black bars on the left and right are back and change size from one scene to the next. If I go back into the editor again, the cropping is still registered and the sample image looks perfect.

Am I doing something wrong? Forgetting some critical setting? Or is it simply not possible to both crop AND scale at the same time? If not, that seems like a fairly obvious oversight.

It sounds like a configuration error to me, but I'm attaching the log file just in case.

[edit] To be more specific, I'm attempting to crop the frame from 640x480 to 620x464 to eliminate dead space and then scale the results from 620x464 to 480x360. However, what I seem to get is the original 640x480 scaled to 480x360 instead. I'm certain I could do this correctly in two steps. Isn't there a way to do it in one?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Toccatta; 12-03-2013, 09:21 PM.
Working...
X