9.1.1 Lost the ability to set a blank Title tag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper 9.1.1 Lost the ability to set a blank Title tag

My media server uses the Title tag if set in preference to the file name for any indexes. Which bugs the crap out of me since you made some changes post 8.0.8.5 which has resulted in it taking a very long time to save properties, should I ever want to change how the file appears in the media player.

So to resolve that I have been setting the Title tag to blank at ripping time, so the media server uses the file name, and a quick rename of the file will change how it appears.

Since upgrading to 9.1.1 I can't see any way to set the title tag to blank any more, which means I'm now back to having to change them post rip, which is a lot more time consuming.

To be fair, I'd prefer an option in preferences that I could just click to say "Don't set Title tag", as I will never ever want it setting. But in the mean time can someone tell me how I can just blank it out when setting up a rip, as before please?

The ability to set a title distinct and separate from the file name ended right about version 9.0.5.5 when they redesigned the front end to eliminate the tabs separating the file information into four pages. Now, the video, audio, and subtitle pages are all mashed together on one and the fourth (where you set the file name AND the title) has been replaced by a means of editing the "title" (in reality the file name NOT the title) on the front page by clicking it once to select and clicking it again to edit.

All I can suggest is that depending on which file format you're converting to, there are some good external programs that edit metadata tags. I use Mp3Tag to set titles and even thumbnail images for .mp4 files. It sets titles very quickly, although changing a thumbnail image is somewhat slow. If you're using a different type of file, you might find something else that works. VLC also allows you to change a video's title in most cases (on the media properties page), although I've encountered a few times when it simply refused.

I've already posted in the feature request forum that the ability to set the metadata title tag be restored. Perhaps you'd like to post in the thread that you'd like that feature restored as well.

[edit] That is... version 9.0.5.5 was the last one I know that still DID have that option.
    Last edited by Toccatta; 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM.

Comment

The sad thing is I don't want to "edit" them, I never want them set in the first place. Looks like I'm going back version again :-/

Comment

I tried using MP3Tag, and whilst it makes it quicker to get AT the tags, it still takes a long time to save each tag. Any video longer than 30 minutes takes several minutes to save the tag.

I noticed this started post 8.0.8.5. Clearly something changed in the way it built the files after that release as up to then saving a tag would be instantaneous, whereas afterwards the delay seemed proportional to the size of the video file being "tagged". I did raise it here as a question back then, as to why it was doing this, but got no response.

It's not like I have a slow PC either, it's a 4 core 3.0 GHz Windows 7 64-bit. Currently it has 4GB ram, I'm in the process of upgrading that to 12GB to see if that makes any difference, as now I can't blank out the title at rip time it is PAINFULLY slow doing it after the fact when converting my TV box sets.

This is why I'm keen to have a preference to simply not set tags at all.

Comment

Working...
        X