No announcement yet.

Small audio-hickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC Media Player plays it back with again the same hickups, so like I said, they are just in the resulting AVI (or whatever format I rip to).

Comment

I just did an MP4 and AVI and both played flawlessly on the PS3 and iPad. Just to be sure we are comparing apples to apples this is my output:
      Attached Files
      How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

I'm not sure where you're heading at. You successfully ripping Shrek is irrelevant. You are in the US, so for sure you have an NTSC version, where mine is PAL. Also, like I said, this is a localized version with e.g. only English or Dutch as the audio track.

Again, the problem is clearly in the ripping and how Disney DVDs are protected. Whatever output format I try, I always have the same problem. Can try with the settings from your screenshot but I don't see how that would make any difference.

Also: tried to rip with DVD Decrypter and when playing back the VOB file, I also get a clear glitch (although different sounding) at exactly the same place.

Comment

Ok, some more info that hopefully makes sense to someone. This time I tried to copy/rip my new Frozen DVD (again PAL - Belgium/Netherlands copy with audio/subs in French/Dutch/Flemish/English).

1. Ripped the DVD to an AVI and again get hickups. The first one occurs at 0'54".

2. Copied the DVD to a DVD5 with 'Movie Only'. It compresses the movie from about 4.9GB to 4.5GB (or whatever is the exact size DVDFab compresses to to fit on DVD5).
          The resulting copy plays perfectly fine on my PS3 ! However, when I play it back on my PC, I notice some small hickup at 0'54".

3. Now I looked at the file structure (from the copy!). When I play back the first VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB) with Media Player Classic (K-Lite), it plays back perfectly without glitch at 0'54". However... when I try to have MPC play back at any random location, it no longer corresponds with the playback from zero. Most interesting is that when I try MPC to play it back from 0'01" it actually seems to play back from right after the glitch ! According to MPC, the VOB file is 12'38" long, but that is obviously not correct since the file is 1GB in size. MPC also just keeps playing the movie after the progress pointer reached the end at 12'38".

So it looks like Disney puts some trickery in the VOB files, which DVDFab just duplicates when making a copy, but which confuses the ripping process causing it to glitch. That explains why even ripping a (resampled) copy results in the exact same glitches.

Comment

The German moderator knows how to cure this problem should you not speak German ask Signals if he will translate he has spoken to the DON Mark the German moderator in the native German in posts their.My German is spotty at best.

Comment

Tnx for referring me to German forum. After some feedback there, I have a better understanding of what causes the problem (namely how the VOB files are constructed).

Now, rather accidentally, I seem to have found a pretty clean solution. It turns out that rather than ripping straight from DVD to DivX, XVID, etc... (which always has hickups at the same spots), the following 2 step approach seems to not exhibit the same problem :
              * First use DVDFab Ripper to rip the main movie to VOB file format. This several GB large VOB plays back perfectly with Media Player Classic, although it probably still contains Disney's multi-stream trickery, since it exhibits the same weird timeline behavior that I described a few posts up.
              * Now use DVDFab Video Convertor to convert the VOB file into the target file format (e.g. XVID).

I've done a simple test with my Frozen DVD and the resulting avi-file does not have the hickup at 0'54". Have to say though, that it looks like Video Convertor also has its difficulty with converting, since the progress bar relatively quickly fills up to 100% after which it still takes like half an hour doing stuff until the output file gets (slowly) written to disk.

One bummer: I don't have the full suite, and currently am not licensed for DVDFab Convertor so it looks like this will cost me an additional $60 (-20%).

Comment

Working...
              X