DTS Audio Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) DTS Audio Issues

i have been using DVDFAB in trial mode for a while now and for the most part am very happy with it. i have recently bought the lifetime suibscription.

the only issue i have is with ripping blu-rays specifically the audio side of things

one blu-ray is season 7 of 24. the audio is DTS HD Master Audio 5.1.

my system setup is a Sony BDP-350 Bluray player connected by HDMI to a Sony A/V Reciever STR-DA5400ES connected by HDMI to a Sony 40" KDL-40W4500 TV and the video files streamed to the bluray player by QNAP TS-470 NAS.

when I play the original bluray disc on the Sony blu-ray player the A/V reciever displays the audio as DTS on its display.

when i rip the bluray using DVDfab the reciever displays linear PCM. as you can see from the attachments DVDFab correctly identifies the correct audio.

i have tried mp4, mp4 passthrough, mkv and mkv passthrough profiles and no difference. as seen in the attached screenshots if i use copy audio option i get no sound at all.

would it be possible to add a DTS audio option in advanced settings of profiles
    Attached Files

Hi Raptor1966
    What is your fab version?
    I am using 9140. And I have tried your issue.
    I use mkv copy audio and mkv passthrough profiles, the result is DTS-hd master. And play well on sony BD player connected by HDMI to A/V Reciever
    connected by HDMI to a TV. The A/V reciever displays the audio as DTS HD master on it.
    Something wrong when played mp4 dts 5.1, the tv show "Audio format not supported."
    i rip the bluray using DVDfab the reciever displays DTS or DTS HD master.

You can use media info check the files what the audio format is.
    Attached Files
    User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
    For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
    For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
    For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Originally posted by Dora View Post
      Hi Raptor1966
      What is your fab version?
      I am using 9140. And I have tried your issue.
      I use mkv copy audio and mkv passthrough profiles, the result is DTS-hd master. And play well on sony BD player connected by HDMI to A/V Reciever
      connected by HDMI to a TV. The A/V reciever displays the audio as DTS HD master on it.
      Something wrong when played mp4 dts 5.1, the tv show "Audio format not supported."
      i rip the bluray using DVDfab the reciever displays DTS or DTS HD master.

You can use media info check the files what the audio format is.
      thanks for the reply

i was on 9138. i have just installed 9140 and will try with the profiles you use

can you tell me the model of blu-ray player you have and the make and model of a/v reciever

Comment

I Think this is a Sony receiver problem.I have the Sony STR ch520 and everything seems to play in up to 8 channel uncompressed PCM audio. Even if the soundtrack doesn't have a PCM audio track like the example in my screen shot that has a DTS master soundtrack.

My receiver even plays the store brought disks this way.Your receiver differs here as yours lights up the dts master light in the receiver with a store brought disk so your problem may or may not be the same as mine.

For your problem it (seems) as if it's something Fab is doing to the disk.Try making a cloned iso to disk with latest Fab version and see if its only a conversion or works the same with a cloned Fab disk to make a clone just use clone/burn to make a test disk.

My Sony will play all hd sound formats but I believe the receiver is converting most sources to uncompressed PCM.It's weird though as if I play a store brought disk on my Panasonic DMB-BD75 to the Sony receiver through HDMI it will play in PCM though theirs no PCM track on the disk.Putting a 50 gig iso clone of the same disk on a hard drive and playing with my Micca media player then the receiver reports and lights up DTS master sound but playing the same cloned iso on the computer with Power dvd 11 the receiver plays PCM

The sound is great as the Sony seems to be converting all input from HDMI to uncompressed PCM.They did this on their early PlayStations to get them to play 3d and it's audio on early hdmi output jacks.I don't know why they would convert to PCM only for some devices as like I said my Micca media player will play in the receiver as Dts master.My digital cable box plays Dolby digital on some channels but the Sony converts every channel to PCM on it also.

I have a 7.2 sound system with transducers in the sofa and easy chair and use Dolby height speakers also so can tell if the sound wasn't dts master or Dolby hd.I believe your getting all the DTS master sound in PCM form.Maybe Sony can explain why this is happening with their receivers as other receivers report the soundtrack correctly and don't convert to PCM.

Maybe Dora can test with a Sony receiver.
        For me the version of Fab or profile used makes no difference even 50 gig clone iso behaves this way.Using a different brand of receiver this doesn't happen only with Sony receivers so I say it's the receiver a second receiver same make and model did the same thing.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by glenns; 04-18-2014, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I would not recommend placing any flavour of DTS audio within the .MP4 container, as it's not very well supported by any software or hardware media player (There's no way I can see Sony supporting DTS in .MP4).

The most flexible and supported container is .MKV (Matroska)...
          Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM.
          I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
          I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Originally posted by Raptor1966 View Post
            thanks all for the suggest and informations.

can you tell me the model of blu-ray player you have and the make and model of a/v reciever
            I have sony player Sony BDP-450 Bluray player, because my BDP-s350 player has no usb port. A/V reciever is Yamaha.
            I do not know it is a Sony receiver problem or fab converted. So use media info check the audio detail.
            I confused that you get no sound at all when use copy audio option. Did you use mp4 copy audio?
            User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
            For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
            For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
            For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Thank you for all your replies

apologies for no replies. due to a heavy workload, i am waiting to get time to try out all your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X