X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Subtitle flickering

Hi.

I am having a problem with flickering subtitles on my blu-ray backups. There was a thread about it a while ago, but I am unable to find it now so I am sorry if this is a duplicate.

I first noticed it around december, but it has been on approximatly every other blu-ray I have backed up since then (but not everyone).

For example 'The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug' (http://cdon.dk/film/hobbitten%3a_dra...-ray-26850043))

The following four screenshots is to illustrate the problem (they have been scaled down to limit the size, but they should illustrate it nontheless). They were created while using the latest version 9.1.4.2 software.

The first was taken when the subtitle prior to the problem was shown (at 00h:03m:02s) while the next three shows 2 frames ahead of the next subtitle, 1 frame ahead of the next subtitle and the first frame of the next subtitle (at 00h:03m:04s).

As you can see the previous subtitle returns for one brief frame before the next subtitle is shown. When watched at normal speed it will cause a flickering effect. The subtitles are forced, so it does not matter which player you use.

I have attached the log created while backing up the above movie.

Settings used in example:
    Profile - Play Station 4
    Resolution - 1920x800
    Encoding - Fast - 1 pass
    Quality - High Quality
    Frame rate - Same as source
    Video codec - H264
    Audio codec - AAC, 48000 hz, 5.1, 448 kbs
    Mode: Direct render to video
    Subtitles: Danish (forced)

Setup:
    DVDFab version 9.1.4.2
    Windows 8.1 (English language with danish keyboard/regional settings)
    Intel i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
    16 GB Memory
    All GPU codecs for encoding and deconding has been disabled.
    Other DVD/blu-ray software: VLC player, Nero (none of which was installed at the time the problem started)

Example of other titles with the same problem:
    xXx - http://cdon.dk/film/xxx_(blu-ray)-8687503
    Star Trek - The Next Generation - Season 5 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Trek-Ge.../dp/B00DW6CQEC
    Pacific Rim - http://cdon.dk/film/pacific_rim_(3d%...disc)-25021587
    Arrow - Season 1 - http://www.recycleit.dk/film-spil/arrow-saeson-3
    Attached Files

I find when ripping a BD down to an mp4 and rendering the subtitles into the video stream the subs lose a lot of resolution during compression. Whenever I can, like playback on the computer, I export the subtitles and have much better results. I just did a few chapters of Frozen using your method except exporting the subs to idx/sub. See attached for result:
    Attached Files
    How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi 90312, thanks for the reply and sorry for the late response.

I tried your method and it does indeed solve the issue when you play in windows.

I am however in a situation where I prefer the forced subtitle method with my current home-theater setup.

What I tried to describe above is not so much a loss of resolution as it is that on about 50% of the stuff I backup, I have an issue where the previous subtitle sentence, which has already disappeared from screen suddenly turn up again for one brief frame immediatly prior to the following sentence. I apologize if that was a bit vague from the above post.

In the four screenshots you will see that the previous subtitle is shown corrently at first (first screenshot). It is then corrently removed when it is no longer needed (screenshot two). Just prior to the next sentence (shown in screenshot four) it briefly reappear for one frame (screen three).

As you can imagine this causes a flicking when you watch the movies at normal speed and seems to maybe be a bug in the software.

I have just confirmed that I still have the issue on the The Hobbit - The Desolution of Smaug using the version 9.1.4.6 software at the same settings as described above.

Again, thank you for the reply and sorry for the very late response.

Comment

Bemwen

I can not reproduce your issue with our 'The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug'

1. Copy: Please using main movies to converted 2 chapters that has this issue. (From the picture, choose 1-2 chapters is ok)
        2. Ripper: you ripped the results with your setting to saw if it could be reproduce.
        3. If you can reproduce it by using 2 chapters, i will give you my cloud drive to upload your main movies.
        So that we can find and resolve this issue. Thanks
        User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
        For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
        For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
        For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

Hi Dora, thanks for the reply.

I am indeed able to reproduce it using the first chapter of the movie.

I created a copy of the first chapter of the movie using the copy-functionality. Then I used this copy to rip it using my setttings and I did encountered the issue at the exact same spot (at 00h:03m:04s).

Comment

Working...
          X