Slow Ripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Slow Ripping

I recently changed out my Laptops. I have a Sony Flip 15a hooked up to an Anker USB3.0 docking station. It is driving 2 monitors with a 3rd hooked up to the HDMI on my Laptop.
    The whole setup is identical to what I was using before except the laptop.

Before, I was using a Fujitsu T900 core I7 intel graphics. The thing flew through discs.

Now I am using the Flip 15A core I7. It has intel + Nvidia graphics. It starts of fast..climbs, then with about 10% - 15% of the rip complete, the FPS rate nosedives from near 100FPS to 15 - 25 FPS.

I am going to try a few other things to see if I can fi it, but any suggestions or pointers would be appreciated.

What is the drive version? CUDA 5.0 was not support yet.
    http://forum.dvdfab.cn/showthread.php?t=24978&page=2 Is it like cause by this thread said?
    User Manual for DVDFab v10 (pdf)

DVDFab log default location:
    For Windows: C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab10\Log
    For Mac: Finder> Documents> DVDFab10> Log

DVDFab Player 5:
    For Windows:C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab Player 5\Log

Comment

OK, Posting Logs.

Just out of curiosity, I tried this whole thing using a Dell latitude with Core i5, 4GB memory. It was consistent. It pulled encoding frame rates of 50fps - 70fps. It had only intel integrated graphics as did the Fujitsu T900. This Flip 15a has the integrated graphics plus the Nvidia discrete graphics. The movie I am using for a test case is Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The ripper is set for high quality 1 pass video at the highest resolution displayed in the dropdown. The subtitles are set to be burned into the video. These settings are no different than on the other two machines.

I am attaching Log files. Please help. It is frustratating that a vastly inferior machine is outpacing this one badly. I do have a little earlier version installed. I did that after the latest version is acting like this, but the version dowsn't seem to matter
      Attached Files

Comment

Not gpu

I disabled the Nvidia GeForce GT 735M GPU and left only Intel HD. The pattern was similat. It started at 35fps built to over 70fps, then at 20% fell down to about 32fps. At abot 25% it very slowly started to incread the fps rate. At 48% I am at 35.37fps. The pattern is the same - start well, fall, recover some.

Here are log files.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by efigalaxie View Post
          I disabled the Nvidia GeForce GT 735M GPU and left only Intel HD. The pattern was similat. It started at 35fps built to over 70fps, then at 20% fell down to about 32fps. At abot 25% it very slowly started to incread the fps rate. At 48% I am at 35.37fps. The pattern is the same - start well, fall, recover some.

Here are log files.
          Try uninstalling the nvidia software first, reboot and run dvdfab with just the intel card - it should work ok.

Problem is dvdfab doesn't recognise the nvidia and defaults to something like no GPU installed.

Originally posted by dora
          .. CUDA 5.0 was not support yet.
          Dora, the current version is 6 not 5.

driver version 335.23, CUDA version 6.0
          Get the latest feature updates to NVIDIA's proprietary compute stack.
          Last edited by kacos; 05-26-2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

What I have ruled out. Symptoms I noticed

The rip tends to start fast, then gets to between 10% and 30%. At that point encoding slows down to between 18fps - 35fps.

This is common between different hard drives - whether it be external 3tb USB3.0 hdd going through an Anker USB 3.0 docking station, and external 1tb usb 3.0 hdd hooked directly into the USB 3.0 port of the laptop, or the laptop's internal ssd. So the storage drive is NOT a factor.

I have tried ripping to AVI, MKV, MP4. All exhibit the same behavior. So format is NOT a factor.

I have tried two different external optical drives. One is a Memorex dvd drive, the other on off brand Blu Ray. The issue is the same with either drive. So optical drive is NOT a factor.

I have disabled the onboard Nvidia GPU and relied upon the Intel Integrated HD Video. I do NOT get the fast start, but get a steady slow rip. So there IS some difference here.

To put this in perspective, I will reiterate my equipment situation.
            I have a Sony Flip 15A laptop outfitted as is default at Best Buy. I have replaced the 1TB hybrid HDD with a 256GB SSD. It has 8GB memory. It has a 1.8 GHz Core i7 with turbo mode to 3.0GHz. It is a native USB 3.0 machine. It has 3 USB 3 ports.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-vai...&skuId=2007005

I have an ANKER USB 3.0 docking station.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00C631EYU

I have 3 monitors hooked up in portrait mode running 1200 x 1600.
            Samsung Syncmaster 204B, Dell 2001FPb, Viewsonic VP201b
            2 are hooked to the dock, one is hooked to the laptop's HDMI port.

Comment

Originally posted by kacos View Post
              Try uninstalling the nvidia software first, reboot and run dvdfab with just the intel card - it should work ok.

Problem is dvdfab doesn't recognise the nvidia and defaults to something like no GPU installed.

Dora, the current version is 6 not 5.

driver version 335.23, CUDA version 6.0
              https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

Problem, is that this is a laptop. I can try disabling and removing the drivers.

Comment

Here's what happens with

2 GPUs both enabled:
                Mon May 26 01:54:08 2014

05:54:08:458 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: Cards = 2, Enables = 2
                05:54:08:473 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
                05:54:08:473 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: nProcessorSignature = 40651
                05:54:08:473 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: strCPUBrand = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
                05:54:08:473 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - NVIDIA GeForce GT 735M
                05:54:09:022 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: Xφ - 5.50 - 3.5
                05:54:09:453 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: device_count - 1 - cuda_api_version = 5050 -
                05:54:09:469 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: bTCC - 0 - computeMode = 0 -
                05:54:09:469 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: major = 3, minor = 5, clockRate = 627500
                05:54:09:469 info: gpuGetMaxGflopsGLDeviceIdDRV: deviceName - GeForce GT 735M - benchmark divided by 10000 = 24096 -
                05:54:09:469 info: DetectVideoCard_CUDA: bestCudaDetectInfo 1,0,24096,3,5,GeForce GT 735M
                05:54:09:484 info: fab_check::check_cuda: cudaStatus = 0 , modeType = 56 , devCap = 1
                05:54:09:484 info: fab_check::check_cuda: AcquireWriteBlock OK.
                05:54:10:047 info: intel_common::get_best_hardware_apiversion: Intel Media SDK. MFXInit Fail -3
                05:54:10:047 info: fab_check::check_intelcodec: modeType = 0 , b_isQuickSyncVideoIntelCpu = 1
                05:54:10:047 info: main: end
                2 GPUs only Intel active
                Mon May 26 03:01:55 2014

07:01:55:151 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: Cards = 2, Enables = 1
                07:01:55:155 info: GetVideoCardInfoEx: - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
                07:01:55:158 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: nProcessorSignature = 40651
                07:01:55:161 info: IntelCPUInfo::IsIntelMediaSDKSupport: strCPUBrand = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
                07:01:55:520 info: intel_common::get_best_hardware_apiversion: Intel Media SDK. imp = 514, API Level: 1.7
                07:01:55:546 info: intel_common: DetectIntelCardAttachedMonitor: Des - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family Ven - 8086
                07:01:55:550 info: intel_common: DetectIntelCardAttachedMonitor: DriverVer - 9.18.7.6
                07:01:55:553 info: intel_common::init_mfx_session: - before init - 0
                07:01:55:576 info: intel_common::init_mfx_session: - after init - 0
                07:01:55:578 info: fab_check::check_intelcodec: modeType = 259 , b_isQuickSyncVideoIntelCpu = 1
                07:01:55:581 info: main: end
                on the other hand, the intel may not be sufficient to accelerate the ripping (I don't have one to know how fast it is, but just with an i7 it takes ages)

Comment

and this is what happens from the last part of your dvdfab log:

0m 01.53s: info: recommand= 851968, Shrink support= 1, enable= 1, cuda_cap= 0 , cpu_count= 4
                  0m 01.53s: GPU check: GPUAccelerate-851973
                  0m 01.53s: GPU check: GPUAccelerate setting-851968, 851968
                  0m 01.53s: GPU check: CUDA cap-0
                  0m 01.53s: GPU check: Support coreavc decode-0
                  0m 01.53s: GPU check: Lighting shrink status-1, 1
                  0m 01.53s: GPU check: Graphics info 1: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family : :
                  0m 01.54s: Init process: Load config failed.
                  Do you have the latest intel graphics driver? Isn't this "Graphics info 1: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family : :" supposed to have something in the end? Like capability number?
                  Last edited by kacos; 05-27-2014, 12:28 AM.

Comment

No luck with this.

After uninstalling the driver and disabling the Nvidia gpu, the laptop started throwing off the windows 8.1 BSDs left and right. Reinstalling driver now.

Comment

Oops, sorry, didn't notice the M(mobile) after GT 750 - I think this works in tandem with intel alternating automatically. So I guess you'll have to wait for the fixed dvdfab too ..

Comment

A mess.

Thanks for responding.

I finally got it straightened back out to where I was.

See, Not only do I have a laptop with both intel integrated hd graphics and Nvidia gpu, with the dock, I have a usb display link video card...as Windows puts it = USB Display Adapters - USB3.0 Dual Video Dock.

I used this fine with the Fujitsu T900, so it isn't the issue. It is pretty much an Nvidia support issue.

Comment

Intel QuickSync is hard to beat for the money

My experience of QuickSync with HD3000 or HD4000 integrated graphics is that it's really hard to beat. My Samsung laptop with a 3rd generation Core i7 and HD3000 integrated graphics easily hits 70+ frames/sec. My new 27" Dell all-in-one with a 4th generation Core i7 and HD4000 graphics is hitting 120fps on h264 encoding.

Comment

i7 4500u processors

I had issues with Play Later as well. I called Sony. They had me go through some cleanup steps. Now this laptop is doing much better - between 70 and 100 fps. It still isn't quite as quick as the 2nd generation mobile i7 it replaced. That is what I wished to warn about. The intel i7 4500u is in a lot of laptops. U is for ultra low voltage. The Total Power Dissipation is only 15 watts. If the chip starts dissipating more, the internal programming is to throttle speed until it cools. These u processors will not be the best for flat out power. Mine is 1.8ghz with turbo up to 3.0ghz. The turbo side can only run a very short time. As a result, my 2nd generation i5 is almost a powerful as this machine, and my 2nd gen i7 at a flat 2.5 ghz without a turbo mode flat out stomps this one. What is gained is a very light portable machine that is very powerful in spurts and actually has a very good battery life. That is the trade. All three of my machines use straight software decoding. the i5 is ultimately about 15% slower than this low voltage 15 watt i7 in real throughput for DVDFAB. I am hoping that Fengtao gets the Cuda 5 support up soon. I am curious to see how that affects the process.

Comment

Working...
                            X