Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FileToMobile: VOB to AVI

DVDFab 6.2.1.8

I have been trying to get around an out of sync issue when trying to create an AVI using DVD to Mobile. The movie goes out of sync after about the half way point. That points me to the fact that it is happening at the layer break.

So I then used DVD-Mobile and used VOB passthrough and created just one VOB file. (Sixsense.vob)

This plays without any sync issues using VLC or WMC. However I want to create an AVI.

So I used File to mobile and select AVI as the output type and then select the VOB file as the source and I get the message:

Failed to open C:\....... Sixsense.vob, The file is unsupported.

Any Ideas?

Try DVD to Mobile again using version 6.2.2.0 beta. Either that or go back a version. Version 6.2.1.8 seems to have some sync issues in many profiles.

Comment

Thank you complication.

I didn't see anything in the description for fixes in the new beta release but as you said give it a try: I tried just a few chapters near the end and the sync problem is gone. I am now trying the whole file.

What about the VOB to AVI issue? Was I doing something wrong? Or is it just not supported for a single VOB file?

Thanks.

Comment

File to Mobile excludes VOB files. I'm guessing this is because too many people get confused and use the wrong one.

Comment

Darn, Sync problem still there. Tried DVDFAB 6.2.2.0 Beta and then tried the two versions earlier to the current release.

I used DVD - Mobile and converted first 11 Chapters to: Generic.avi.divx.audiocopy output = SIXSENSE_A

I then converted chapters 12 - 20 to SIXSENSE_B

I really think this is something peculiar to this Movie / DVD as I have not had any problems with others. This DVD uses angles so I am wondering if that has something to do with it?

each of these play perfectly with no sync issues. But when I convert the whole file it is out of sync around chapter 12.

Like I said in my first post when I use VOB passthrough to create one VOB file I don't have any sync issues.

I guess what I need to do is find an app to merge the two. Anyone have preferences? I think I will add mobile merge and VOB to AVI as a feature request.
          Last edited by Karloff; 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I forgot to ask, are you following the instructions from the thread? Specifically, are you ripping the disc to the hard drive first and then using DVD to Mobile on the ripped folder?

The rip process to the hard drive will remove the layer break which may be the issue. I read sync problem and forgot to ask the obvious.

Comment

Yes, I always follow GregiBoys best practice. I am trying to convert from the copy on my hard drive.

I am trying to find another DVD I have that uses angles to see if that might be the problem. I have tried a few different profiles and I get the same result but I have always used audiocopy.

Comment

Update:

I merged the two avi files sixsense_A and sixsense_B together with a third party app and now I have one avi file that does not have any audio video sync issue with that file.

Comment

Glad that worked.

One thing to try though.

When initially ripping to the HDD, try "Main Movie" and only select one angle & one audio stream.

Use that as your source and let us know the results.

The reason that I ask is that I have had probems with files with multiple angles before but in this case I also suspect the layer break.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

GregiBoy, I just tried your suggestion ( Main Movie and Angle 1) and the results are the same. Perfect sync for chapters 1-12 and then audio is out (negative 0.450s).

I did notice one strange characteristic. The files size of my merged avi is: 1,290,610 (1400 bitrate).

But the file size of the AVI when I convert all chapters is: 1,310,721. same specs for both.

I use the 704x388 resolution that DVDFab selects. I use fixed bitrate of 1400 with the generic.avi.divx.audiocopy profile.

I don't understand why the file size is so different.
                    Last edited by Complication; 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Neither do I but the size of encoded files sems to vary eve when you repeat the process using the same input.

I think it is something to do with the way you are holding your mouth !!!

This audio sync problem that you are having sounds suspiciously like it occurs when the encoder hits the layer break.

Do you have "remove Layer Break" ticked in "Settings"?
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Yes, I have remove layer break selected. Darn, I wish it was that easy.

Maybe, for a comparison I should try it with "remove layer break" unselected and see if it changes anything (You know, like Pathplayer).

Just when I thought I had run out of options another option has popped up.

You know, just about anyone else would have given up since I fixed the problem with the band-aid. But, I (and I am guessing your the same way) have to figure out why.

Comment

Working...
                        X