DVDFab Forum - PGS subtitle errors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PGS subtitle errors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BD Ripper (3D Plus) PGS subtitle errors

    I switched back to using the latest Fab since about 9.1.9.7. I'm now on the 9.1.9.9.

    I've been noticing that I'm having issues with the extracted embedded pgs subtitles.

    I use MKVExtract to get the subtitle out into a .pub file then get an error when I try to look into the file with Subtitle Edit and BDSup2Sub and BDSup2Sub++.

    The error I'm getting is:

    ERROR: PG Missing at index 0x000ee341.

    The subs seems to work ok during playback, but the problem is that without being able to read them I can't handle forced subs and such properly. I really need to be able to load these subs into any of these subtitle editors.

    I've noticed that this usually occurs on some older movies, not sure if this happens with newer ones too.

    An example is: Live Free or Die Hard and actually a bunch of other movies from the Die Hard series as I recall.

    I can provide a "bad" sub if needed (they're pretty big though... about 61 MB).

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Extracted PGS subs usually come with a .sup extension, not pub. Do you use DVDFab to rip to MKV and then check the subs or what?

    MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
    MultiShrink
    : DVD Shrink batch processing
    Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
      Extracted PGS subs usually come with a .sup extension, not pub. Do you use DVDFab to rip to MKV and then check the subs or what?
      Oops, typo. yeah sup file.

      My process is that I use Fab to rip to MKV, then I extract the subs and analyze with a sub editor to see if there are forced subs embedded in the stream or to see if the entire stream consists entirely of forced subs... or perhaps there are no forced subs.

      In the former case, I then extract the forced subs then remux the file with the forced sub stream marked as forced and the non-forced stream set as the primary sub stream.

      In the latter case, I just edit the MKV container to mark the stream containing only forced subs as forced.

      I find this to be a much more reliable way of handling forced subs then relying on just Fab to handle it.

      Lately, the extracted subs are coming up with these errors when trying to view with my external tools so I'm not able to deal with forced subs in my usual manner.

      Comment


      • #4
        What happens if you extract the sub from the m2ts with tsmuxer or mux to mkv with another tool and then extract the sub? Are the subs still "corrupted"?

        MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
        MultiShrink
        : DVD Shrink batch processing
        Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
          What happens if you extract the sub from the m2ts with tsmuxer or mux to mkv with another tool and then extract the sub? Are the subs still "corrupted"?
          My fallback when things get weird is 9.1.5.0 and I've found that the subs generally come out fine in those cases although I do run into issues from time to time.

          Could just be coincidence, but I've run into the sub problem a lot since switching to the latest version where it used to be a very rare occurrence.

          ** Update **

          Stay tuned. It just happened. I'm now trying to extract the subs with another program to see what happens.
          Last edited by eisenb11; 05-05-2015, 05:54 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
            What happens if you extract the sub from the m2ts with tsmuxer or mux to mkv with another tool and then extract the sub? Are the subs still "corrupted"?
            I just ran into this issue on Die Hard 2.

            I just tried using a competing program that shall not be mentioned to create an uncompressed MKV (it doesn't transcode) then used MKVExtract to remove the subs and they were ok, so it seems that Fab is somehow corrupting them.

            Comment


            • #7
              I've tried both MKV/MKV passthrough in 9.1.9.9 which resulted in subs that when extracted worked just fine in BDSUP2SUB.

              MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
              MultiShrink
              : DVD Shrink batch processing
              Offizieller Übersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chetwood View Post
                I've tried both MKV/MKV passthrough in 9.1.9.9 which resulted in subs that when extracted worked just fine in BDSUP2SUB.
                This doesn't happen all the time. Just seems to happen a lot more with now. It may be tied to certain methods of doing the subs. I found it happening a lot with the Die Hard movies. Ran into 2-3 different movies in the series with sub errors.

                Die Hard 2 for example didn't work correctly with Fab, but did work correct with another suite.

                Comment

                Working...
                X