This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBox 360 Problems

I'm having some problems streaming to my XBox 360. I'm using Twonky Media Server, and had been using the NAS software. However, recently I went to the software based product.

When I was using the NAS software I could stream the WMV files and the AVI with XVID. However, because of the multichannel problem with the WMV files, I went to AVI (reluctantly).

However, now that the multichannel WMV problem has been corrected, I began using that format again. But I am finding many movies that the audio starts off in-sync, but as the movie movie progresses, it gets further and further out of sync. I've read all of the threads and tried all of the "best-practices" thread recommendations without any resolution.

I've decided I would just use the AVI format for my problem movies (unless I find another resolution try on the WMV files). However, now I began ripping to AVI and the XBox says they are unsupported!

Today I tried the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy, generic.avi.divx.audiocopy, and the generic.avi.h264.audiocopy. All three files are unsupported on the XBox.

Am I doing something wrong?

Any suggestions for either/any of my problems?

Thanks!

Jason

Do they play from a DVD in the actual XBox?

I do remember somewhere some limitations on files supported for streaming to the XBox.

Also, on the Twonky server, is the XBox being correctly identified?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/u...aybackfaq.aspx

Divx audiocopy should work... I've used it before...

However, as per the following thread:
      http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=1087
      the problem is not limited to wmv - all profiles seem to be affected... It seems to be a problem with certain DVDs... You should post the info as noted in the 1st post of that thread so the devs have more data to work off of...

Comment

You should use mp4 for xbox.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses..

Gregiboy - I haven't tried the DVD's themselves in the Xbox, but the Xbox is supposed to support AVI files. I will look into whether or not the Xbox is identified correctly on the Twonky Server. That does appear to be the biggest change in this mess...

KmR - I agree, I've used Divx audiocopy as well (when the Twonky was installed on my NAS). I have read that thread as well. I agree I should post the info, however, I'm getting LOTS of my DVD's that are not syncing properly. However, if I go back to an AVI file, I found a program that allows me to change the length of the audio to adjust for these out of sync problems. So I've been able to fix the problem - but only on an AVI file. I have not been able to find the same sort of program that will fix the WMV files.

If anyone has seen this sort of program, please let me know, I'd love to get ahold of that program!

artsemis - I have used mp4 for the Xbox, however, it does not support 5.1 channels on the Xbox, and I'd like to keep the surround sound.

Thanks again for the input....

Comment

Just an update in case anyone else is having this issue... Thanks for the insight Gregiboy....

It is a problem with Twonky... Here's a link to their problem. Looks like they will have a new version available Monday (Today) that corrects the issue:

I'll advise if it corrects the problem once the link is active today.

Jason

Comment

The updated Twonky did resolve the problems. I can now play both Xvid and Divx encoded files.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the best quality out of the two?

Comment

These are the video codecs in my order of preference...

1. H264
                2. XVid
                3. DivX

I think the H264 gives far better results for the same bitrate. I've got some starting parameters in my "Best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread.

I don't know whether the XBox will play H264 though. Worth a try.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

You care correct, the XBox will not play the H264 content - that was the first one i tried

Sounds great - Looks like I've got some work ahead of me...

Comment

h264 is supported by the xbox, but only with 2 channel audio... See the link posted in my previous post...

I saw your previous post that you want the 5.1 channel audio - for the xbox that means you only have 2 choices: WMV or Divx (audio copy - not MP3 audio).

Comment

may want to try wmv again

For what it's worth, the WMV 5.1 seems to be working for me with the last couple of versions (6.2.2.0 now) so you might want to give that another try. xvid with audiocopy is another option (besides divx).

Comment

Originally posted by Vimes View Post
                        For what it's worth, the WMV 5.1 seems to be working for me with the last couple of versions (6.2.2.0 now) so you might want to give that another try. xvid with audiocopy is another option (besides divx).
                        6.2.2.0 works great for 5.1 WMV files. However NONE of the ver7 DVDFab version 7.0.4.0, 7.0.3.5, 7.0.3.2 or 7.0.3.0 works. Audio is out of sync in each and every case I have tested it on. This is in Win7 32bit Ultimate. I have tried the same versions in Vista 32bit Ultimate and that has worked well.

Fengtao, Ting, is anyone looking at this? Very frustrated with it at this point.

Comment

Working...
                        X