Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the problem the program, the set-top player or the user or a little or each?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffie View Post
    edit: I thought I would try the Beta firmware over at AVS but it's no longer available (server not found).
    Here are links for the: -

US Beta Test Release (BDP10X-79-0711B): https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-...-79-0711B.aspx
    EU Beta Test Release (BDP10XEU-79-0711B): http://www.oppodigital.co.uk/custome...-firmware.aspx

I provided both (main links), as I'm not sure where you are from.

Cheers
    I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
    I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

I'm across the pond. Thanks much for the links - I really appreciate it.

In the meanwhile, I connected the OPPO directly to the TV and there was no change. I'll try the beta and then play with handshake issues.

No change with the beta. It's hard to imagine cable issues or handshake issues given that other formats play without any issues but I will exhaust all efforts at my end before checking with OPPO.
      Last edited by Jeffie; 10-18-2015, 02:08 PM.

Comment

The issue I am having is that when I rip a DVD to MKV Passthrough, the OPPO 103D takes 2-4 minutes to recognize the file via USB. By recognize, I mean the flash drive light is constantly showing it is reading the file and when it is complete, the player displays the resolution and length of the movie. If I use the remote to play the file, it takes another few minutes for the file to load and play. I always thought the files were bad, the unit was hung up so I would reboot the OPPO.
        Have you tried it with smaller file sizes, does the length of time vary with size. It sounds like the Opp player is reading the whole file before it gives you the information, and a 20+GB file will take to read

Comment

I reformatted a drive to exFAT and FAT32. The results were the same, which is to say, not good. Once the movie finally starts, stopping the movie means having to wait another significant amount of time before it is able to continue

I didn't mention that the OPPO runs through my Yamaha AV receiver but I can't see that as being an issue. Unless something positive changes, I will contact OPPO on Monday.

Thanks Again

edit: I thought I would try the Beta firmware over at AVS but it's no longer available (server not found).
          did you try doing the error checking / fragmentation on your
          flash drive?

Comment

Out of interest, what's the make, model and size of the flash-drive? Some are a lot faster than others!
            I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
            I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Comment

Nik, the file sizes are under 4GB (usually 3.5).

October262 - I haven't even looked in that direction as I have this issue with all my flash drives on DVD MKV Passthrough. My thinking is that if there was any type of corruption, I would see it when watching Blu-rays using MKV Passthrough. I also have no problems watching movies using the MKV profile. It's only MKV Passthrough for DVDs.

SeeMoreDigital, I have this issue with a Lexar 128GB - USB 3.0, PNY 8GB (USB 2.0), Mushkin 32GB (USB 3.0) and a Kingston 16GB (USB 2.0). Sorry but I can't find the model information.

Any and all: The delay in getting back was a last ditch effort at troubleshooting. The ports on the OPPO are USB 2.0 and I like using USB 3.0 drives. I realize they are backwards compatible but I did copy a movie to a 2.0 flash drive (took forever) and no change.

Comment

I currently don't have any large capacity 'pen-drives' to hand so I'm currently in the process of transferring around thirty (MPEG-2) 'DVD disc.mkv' files onto a 'self-powered' 2.5" 250GB exFAT formatted Samsung HDD which is placed within a USB 3.0 caddie.

I'll report back how well the Oppo reads and plays the files

Comment

Okay I'm reporting back...

I'm not having any problems at all navigating, selecting and playing any of the thirty 'DVD disc.mkv' files.

In-fact I'm quite surprised how well the files are playing...

Out of interest have you checked things such as the Oppo's 'Persistent Storage. It might be full?
                  Do you have 'Gracenote' enabled?
                  Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 10-18-2015, 04:52 PM.

Comment

sorry about the delayed response:

Gracenote is off and Persistent Storage was 0MB but I erased it anyway - No change. I have no interest in connecting the OPPO to the internet.

Just so we're on the same page, my MKV files load quickly and nicely. It's the MKV Passthrough profile that is the nightmare and only for DVDs. Blu-rays play beautifully.

Comment

It's the MKV Passthrough profile that is the nightmare and only for DVDs. Blu-rays play beautifully.
                      Just to confirm... All my DVD back-ups contain the original MPEG-2 video stream, along with original audio and subtitle streams and chapter points

Comment

I'm stuck until I can contact OPPO. Meanwhile, I uninstalled DVDFab and reinstalled it. Bought a new video (Earth to Echo). No change.

Edit: I'm going to attach a log file. Perhaps someone will see something.

Edit: I disabled Pathplayer and the OPPO was able to quickly analyze the file. Unfortunately, it took 2-4 minutes for the video to start playing. When it did play, I stopped it and the OPPO needed to analyze the file which it did not need to do 5 minutes ago.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Jeffie; 10-18-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Houston there's a problem....

I've just backed-up my US DVD version of Alien 4 to .mkv using DVDFab 9.2.1.5 and when I tried playing it with my Oppo, the player became very sluggish.

So I directly re-muxed the DVDFab.mkv file using MKVmerge GUI v8.5.0 and when I tried playing it with my Oppo, the player became very sluggish again!

So I de-muxed all the streams out of the .mkv container using MKVExtractGUI and re-muxed them using MKVmerge GUI v8.5.0 and (drum roll...) the new .mkv file plays perfectly with my Oppo.

So it would seem there might be an issue with DVDFabs mkv muxing application

Comment

Maybe with your log and my log, as well as your expertise, Fab staff can have a look at the issue. I have completely exhausted any and all remedies.

On a different note, I'm in Wisconsin and when the Green Bay Packers play, all energies are redirected toward watching the game. I'm about 30 seconds from kickoff so I need to put this issue to bed.

I am extremely grateful to all who have read the thread and/or suggested a remedy.

Comment

Hi Jeffie.
                              Do you have subtitles in your mkv-passthrough files,and if you have are they muxed into your mkv-file.?
                              Subtitles from dvds (PAL) using mkv-passthrough,does not seem to Work correctly,if DVDFab mux them into your MKV.
                              Works fine though ,if extracted to sub/idx and outside the MKV container.
                              Could be your Oppo detects errors in the subtitles, and therefore makes problems.

Ive reported this issue more than 4 month agoo,and still no fix.
                              Hope it could be of help.
                              Regards Hasse

Comment

It's the default settings (remux into file). I've also tried MKV Passthrough on a movie that has no subtitles and it is still painfully slow to recognize the file and to load/play the file. While it takes approximately 5 minutes to get the movie to play, if I pause and the screensaver kicks in, it takes another 5 minutes to start the process anew. I have no problems with MKV Passthrough on a Blu-ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X