This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VOB Passthrough - wrong movie length

Hi. I'm a novice at this and a first timer at the forum. I have successfully copied my movies to a hard drive to play on my WD Live player. Originally, I used avi but I didn't like the picture quality. After playing around with different conversions, I decided on VOB passthrough. It creates one VOB file and it's easy to play. I am not using an ISO creator. I'm trying to keep it simple for my kids to operate.

I noticed on some movies that the movie length is incorrect. For example, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince shows 1:12 when it's over 2 hours. The whole movie plays but I can't fast forward past 1:12 so it's annoying. Also, some movies are showing a much shorter length (12 minutes) so I can't use the fast forward function beyond the 12 minute mark. I tried playing it on the VLC player and it shows the incorrect movie length.

Thanks -Ken

This is usually a problem within the VOB's. Fab does not change them at all.

My colleague, Complication, has had a lot of experience with this and let's hope that he sees this when he comes back on line.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

This is because of the way the DVD was spliced together. At 1:12 is the first spice and they didn't bother updating the time codes in the completed title since DVD players don't need them. I've tried to fix a few of them, but they end up with frame judder because of the irregular pulldown on many if not most titles. I wish I had a quick and easy fix for you (and me) to keep them as VOB files but I don't.

Since the WD supports ISO playback of the main movie then I would suggest you use that. Simply do DVD to DVD Main Movie, only keep a single audio track, and make the destination an ISO file. This should allow not only FF and RW but also chapter stops.

Comment

I can't say this is true for the WDTV live model but the gen1 will not recognize chapter stops in any format. Only way I can find to skip forward or back is pressing the FF/Rw buttons beside the play button then just under those is another set of FF/RW buttons, pressing those will allow skipping 10 minute intervals.

What was wrong with the picture quality converting to avi format? Try and convert setting the bitrate to around 1100?
        My test with avi and mkv is equal to DVD quality. As mentioned the iso format will play very well.

Comment

Problem with movie length on LG BD390

Hi - I too have a problem due to the incorrect tagging of the resultant vob file as produced by the vob passthrough method. Without a PlayLength attribute populated, I am unable to navigate the movie on my BD390. I have bought a lifetime license for this product - as I was under the impression it was the best supported. I have used a trial version of [other software] - this produces single vob files with the correct Play Length - so it does seem to be possible achieve - can this be done with DVDFab?
          Last edited by Complication; 03-01-2010, 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed non-allowed softare reference

Comment

Working...
          X