v9.2.2.4 Causing Thermal Shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper v9.2.2.4 Causing Thermal Shutdown

This new version is causing my Phenom II x4 965 CPU to massively overheat and shut down. This has never happened with any previous version or any other application. I ran a CPU and fan monitor during a RIP test and a copy test. During copy the CPU core never went over 50 C. During the RIP it run up over 75 C within two minutes before the chip safeguards shut it down.

Are there throttle back settings I can enable to stop this? Is it a version issue?
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

make sure you have sufficient cooling for your computer.
    did you put this computer together yourself ??
    you may need new thermal paste on your CPU.
    also it may not hurt to clean out the dust that accumulates
    in the fans. especially the CPU.
    Last edited by october262; 01-10-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Yes I did build this PC. I cleaned out all the fans a few months back but I haven't checked the thermal paste in a while. Good call. This is a gaming box so it has very good cooling and none of my other CPU/GPU apps crack the 80 C barrier on the core temp.

I'll take it apart, check the paste and give it a good cleaning and try again. I just thought it was interesting that none of the previous versions of the ripper caused an overheat in the 2 years or so I've been using it.

Comment

I'm almost embarrassed to post this. The thermal paste was damn near rock solid and half gone. I must have been running border line temps for quite a while. Stripped it all off and reapplied some good stuff and I haven't cracked 56C since, even under full load.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been out of desktop support a little too long

Comment

Good call october262
          Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Working...
          X