Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does it take DVDab9 almost 12 hrs to rip a bluray DVD and convert it to MP4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Why does it take DVDab9 almost 12 hrs to rip a bluray DVD and convert it to MP4?

I ask, because using DVDDecrypter and HandBrake to back up my DVD collection, it takes about an hour total.

I read reviews about DVDFab9, played around with the software, did some trial and error and thought it would be the best software for me. Plus the fact that it has the ability to convert to almost any other format, including 4K.

Also, I was noticing that my SD DVDs did not have the best picture, so I needed something better and I needed the ability to rip blurays.

However, it is taking half a day to rip one DVD. What am I missing here? Is it because they are blurays and that is how long they take? Am I missing something in settings? Should I only be ripping the main movie? Is it because I am ripping and then encoding?

I took a look at the DMA vs. PIO issue posted, regarding earlier versions, but that didn't help. I tried copying to my hard drive and ripping from there, but that did not help.

All I want to do, is to have a decent software, which I paid a ton of money for, be able to rip and convert a DVD in less than a day.

Any tips, comments or help will be appreciated. I apologize if I am posting this in the incorrect thread.

I just copied (main movie) and ripped (MP4) 3 BD in a little over 2 hours. What type of CPU/GPU do you have ???

Comment

kherr, thank you for the quick reply.

I am running a HP Folio? 840. CPU is i5-4300U (4 core) and GPU is Intel HD 4400 Mobile. DVD is USB Samsung SE506CB/RSBDM.

Thanks again.

Comment

Should I just be ripping the "main movie" chapter/portion and forget the rest?

Comment

what settings are you using

Originally posted by databoy View Post
          kherr, thank you for the quick reply.

I am running a HP Folio? 840. CPU is i5-4300U (4 core) and GPU is Intel HD 4400 Mobile. DVD is USB Samsung SE506CB/RSBDM.

Thanks again.
          What settings are you using to do the ripping? Are you upscaling the DVD content? For the record, my 2012 laptop with a core i7 + Intel HD graphics takes around 30-40 minutes to rip a Bluray disk @9500mpbs, with passthru for the audio.

Comment

Hi Nik, thank you.

I'm using whatever the default settings were, after I installed. I realize that I must have something setup wrong, so please forgive the question, but where should I look at the settings? Are there certain settings, which should be set in a particular manner?

Comment

Check that the GPU is being used

The most likely issue is that the Intel graphics aren't being used to speed up encoding. Can you post the log for a rip so that we can see whether IntelQuicksync is being enabled.

Comment

Nik, Sure. I may not be able to do that until this evening, but i will get a log posted, as soon as possible. Thank you for taking the time to assist.

Comment

Nik, I see that there are logfiles under /Documents/DVDFab9/Log. Can you tell me the name of the logfile you would like to see? I can look and see if there is a previous version there, which might help us glean some info. Thanks again.

Comment

Here is a logfile. My apologies...it helps if I read the forum.

Nik, here are the selections in question, from my log file. Hopefully I did this correctly and it contains helpful info.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nothing obvious to me

Originally posted by databoy View Post
                      Nik, here are the selections in question, from my log file. Hopefully I did this correctly and it contains helpful info.

I can't see anything obvious in the log file, it looks like it's enabling the GPU and there's no up-conversion going on. Maybe someone from DVDfab with better eyes will spot something in the log, because the 12hour figure is definitely out of whack. A DVD film (as opposed to BluRay) takes about 15 minutes to rip on my system.

Comment

Nik, I did notice this though...when I choose to rip a BD into a MP4, it takes less than 2 hours. When I rip a BD to MP4.H265, it takes 9-12 hours. Maybe that is the issue. I do not understand though, why the compression takes that much longer. Maybe that has been my issue al along...attempting the compression???

Comment

h265 is software only

Intel QuickSync only supports encoding of h264, so when you select h265 DVDfab has to fall back on a pure CPU encoding scheme which is orders of magnitude slower than CPU+GPU encoding.

Comment

Nik, thank you for taking the time to assist. I now also better understand the inner workings, a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            X