Ripper converts very slowly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Ripper converts very slowly

I have had the same problem with the last 3 versions of DVDFab 9: when converting a file to mp4 format using DVDFab ripper, the conversion first starts with a very high fps conversion but quickly drops to a speed of 0.1 fps and an estimated conversion time of over 11 hours. I first encountered the problem with the version prior to 9.3.1.2. With 9.3.1.2, I did not have any trouble until about the 12th conversion when the problem resurfaced (I had set up a queue of 12 files to convert). I had hoped I would not have the problem the new version 9.3.1.6 but it is still occurring.

I am not getting an error message, just very slow conversion times so I cancel the conversion. I have attached the dvdfab_internal.log file.

Hardware details: I am running a Dell Studio laptop with Windows Vista. It uses Intel Core 2 Duo with 2.00 GHz. It has 4.00GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system.

I am converting VOB files to mp4 using the generic DVDFab Ripper options. Video Codec H264. Audio Codec AAC. Resolution 720x304. Video Quality Standard. Frame rate is same as source. Encoding method is fast encoding (1 pass). Basically, I have not customized the profile but opened the program, selected the file on my hard drive and started the conversion.

I have in the past successful converted over a hundred files to mp4 using the same hardware and profile. I wasn't until the last few versions have I had this problem. Any input on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

9m 37.66s: volume label TMNT_2_OUT_OF_SHADOWS

0m 29.12s: volume label CAPTAIN_AMERICA_CIVIL_WAR

Remove these two movies from the batch job they are receiving read errors check for dirty disks and scratches on these they won't convert the way they are now even if they play fine.

I also see no GPU help such as cuda ,quick sync or lightning shrink so without some kind of GPU help conversions will be slow check Fab settings for
    GPU and see if there's any help you can check in settings for GPU to speed things up.

Comment

Thank you for your response. To clarify a few things from my original post.

First, the log I attached contained all my DVDFab activity that day. I should have edited to just the activity converting the VOB file to mp4. Therefore, it included the initial activities copying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Captain America from the DVD onto my hard drive. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles copied successfully using DVDFab Copy but Captain America did not because of scratches on the DVD. The copy rate was normal.

After copying Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles onto my hard drive, I think attempted to convert the VOB file to mp4 using DVDFab ripper. That is where the slow conversion rate happened. I did not try to convert this as part of a batch conversion but as 1 file.

With your response, I attempted to convert the same file again. I have attached the log for just that activity. I have also attached a screenshot of the conversion at the start of the process (showing the higher fps rate) and when I canceled (showing the very slow rate).

As for the GPU, I am not sure what that is - I'm sorry! I have attached a screen shot of the advanced settings when in DVDFab Ripper. Can you help explain what I should be doing differently?

Thank you!
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi DanielTX
        To disable GPU see first pic you may also try disabling auto crop second pic.
        Hope this helps
        CBR929
        Attached Files
        Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

Go to Fab common settings then click the codex box on the bottom in that box are your graphics cards programs that are available to use with Fab for GPU speed up making conversions faster also theirs two programs above that box that Fab made to speed conversions called lightning shrink and lightning recording if you are able to put a check mark in them that means they can be used to speed things up with your computer if you can't check mark them then you can't use them.

If Cuda or other speed up program is listed in the lower box then it should be checked marked in the upper boxes so Fab use's it to speed things up so post a screen shot of that page and we can see if theirs something you can use to get some speed out of your 2 core computer.If use all software box is selected that makes all speed up programs turn off and just Fabs software is used for conversions.

From your log files I see your not using any speed up programs and want you to know their should be something you can use so post a screen shot of this gpu page.
          This has nothing to do with your conversion problem just a observation from your log files and a way to convert faster.

Now if CBR929s advise (disabling auto crop second pic.) doesn't work I would try converting from the disk itself make sure it's clean and you get no read errors as you did before.

CBR929:Check you driver for your cuda card I believe their may be a newer version

Comment

372.90 is the latest graphics driver for the card.
            How to post the internal log

Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.
            Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 3dman7 View Post
              CBR929:Check you driver for your cuda card I believe their may be a newer version
              Thanks got it.
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Comment

Hi CBR929 and 3dman7,
                Thank you both for the information and time to help me solve this problem.

I followed CBR929's advice and disabled GPU as well as disabled auto cropping. I have attached a screenshot for both the AV Codec and Conversion common settings page. Unfortunately, this did not correct the problem. The conversion started out at a very high fps but within 30s had dropped to single digits. I have attached a screen shot of the conversion at the start and when I canceled. I also attached the dvdfab_internal.log file for this test.

For what it's worth, I tried to select Cuda from the options under AV Codec but I got an error message that it could not be supported by my graphics card. I also attempted a run with the GPU disabled and not disabling auto crop but that did not make a difference either. The test with GPU disabled and auto crop enabled was not included in the log file I attached.

I have not tested the conversion straight from the disc, that is my next step. In the meantime, I wanted to pass this information along in case there are other suggestions.

Thank you again for the help!
                Attached Files

Comment

When converting a file use the converter module not the ripper but from disk you can use the ripper to make the mp-4.

As far as settings for faster conversions set memory amount from auto to maximum then check mark lightning recording and you can use dxva for meg 2 this is dvd's so where it says software for meg2 drop down the pull down box and select dxva so when converting dvd's you have some GPU help to speed things up.Reset auto cropping to on.

Comment

Hi DanielTX
                    Are you using a folder for the conversion that you copied to your HDD using the disk? I always find it faster converting from my HDD than from the disc. Log looks fine other that your drive has a firmware update, might be worth doing. If you do not know how to flash your drive do not do it as it will render your drive useless.
                    CBR929

Comment

Cbr929:He is using folders I advised him to convert from disk because his 1st log file when he made the folders from disk had read error's on the disks that are now folders that may be bad because of the read error's.

He also says he used ripper to convert the files when converter should have been used.

Comment

Working...
                      X