This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Play back info in windows media player

I started using DVD to mobile to convert my dvd's to DIVX with ver. 6.2.1.8. Everything seems to be working just fine. I can play the files using windows media player. I noticed is that in the bottom of the player it shows the name of the file being played along with other information. One piece of informaiton is called "Owner" and shows my pc name and login name (ex. DellXPS\rpratali). Is the owner information something that gets encoded to the DIVX file? If so, is this something I can remove or edit? Or is windows media player just pulling this information about where the file is being played from, etc.

If this information is encoded in to the DIVX file, is there a way to edit / remove this information?

I'm 99% sure that this is just coming from the security information that is stored on the file system. I ran 2 quick tests:
    1. Changed the owner of the file - this changed the owner information that is displayed.

2. Copied the file to an external drive and looked at it on a different computer (that doesn't have the owner that I changed it to on the original computer). Owner information was different. One note about this - I did copy it to an SD card which is formatted in FAT32 as opposed to NTFS - so the security information was ultimately lost during the copy... However helps prove my point further that it is only showing the security details on the computer and that this isn't embedded into the file itself...

If you have 2 computers and an external drive that is formatted with NTFS, you could try the same test which should save some/most of the security info if you want...

I was testing with Windows 7 and WMP 12... I didn't see any of the additional data displayed within the player itself (only the Title) but if you right click on the file and select properties, then click on the details tab and scroll down to the bottom, you should see if the info (including owner and computer) - at least on Win7 anyways...

Comment

Besides that, you can edit tag information held within an AVI file with ABC AVI Tag Editor. Freebie, just google it.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

KmR - where in the program do you change the owner information? I only saw a box that said Author.

GregiBoy - thanks for the info, I'll check it out.

Comment

Owner is set by your operating system and by what name you are logged in as, so it is nothing to do with Fab and cannot be changed in Fab.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

rpratali - Gregi is correct (of course!)...

To find this in the OS/change the owner:
            Right click on the file ~> Properties ~> Security ~> Advanced ~> Owner ~> Edit ~> Select New owner ~> OK out of all open dialogs...

There might be some minor differences depending on what OS you are on... but that's the basics of it...

Make sure that you are logged in as an Administrator otherwise you'll have problems...

The owner by default should be set to what ever user you are logged in as (when you encoded the file)... XP, Vista & 7 will all show your user name on the start menu or in task manager (users tab) or some times if you press ctrl + alt + del...

Comment

Working...
            X