X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different resolutions - why?

Hi,

there is something I don't really understand when it comes to DVDFab settings:

If I convert a DVD to - let's say - an XVID file I'm presented with a variety of settings and options. Most are easy to understand.

What I don't understand are the resolution settings. DVDs have a fixed resolution of 720x??? (PAL) or 704x??? (NTSC). DVDFab presents me with lower and higher resolutions in the video settings dialog. I can choose to up- or downscale the video.

But why are the available resolutions different with every DVD? Sometimes the highest available resolution is 834x??? and sometimes 1050x???. Sometimes I can choose from two dozens of resolutions, another time it's only five or six.

watcher

Resize for compatibility's sake

Hi Watcher,

I don’t know why so many resolution settings are offered in a given device profile. However I can tell you that the reason to rip to another screen resolution is so that the file will in fact be compatible with your particular portable device.

My PMP for example will playback either AVI or WMV video files, but only if they are sized at 320x240 pixels. Any other size is not compatible and just won’t play.

If your playback device is not “size sensitive” then don’t resize - just rip the DVD to the format that your device can handle. Identify the DVD’s resolution and then use the same for your rips. If the size you’re looking for is not on the list: go to DVDFab’s Video Effect Settings, select Custom Size, punch in the desired resolution values, then hit Add, then OK.)

I discovered a fantastic free utility here at the Fab forum called MediaInfo that can provide the video resolution information and much more. It’s defiantly worth checking out. http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Cheers,

Organdude

Comment

Working...
    X