X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m2ts to mkv - maximum bitrate=10000 ??

Hello,

I am new here and I really like to DVDFab tool to convert some video stuff.

One thing I discovered is the limitation of a the bitrate of 10000 byte (Option File to Mobile), when I convert m2ts to mkv videos. I tried changing the profile with the profile editor to allow bigger bitrate values. (set max = 20000).

But when I used the profile and entered a bitrate above 10000 it always encoded the mkv with a bitrate arround 10000. I doesn't matter what I specified for the encondig process.

I used the profile "mkv.h264 with audiocopy" and changed the max bitrate to 20000.

Is there really a limitation of the maximum bitrate to 10000 or do I something wrong??

Thx for an advice,
    Bubba

DVD to Mobile and File to Mobile are designed for mobile devices and are thus limited in bitrate (the XVID limit is 5000). There is an upcoming Blu-Ray to Mobile module that may have those limits removed/increased, but we do not know when it will be released.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I am looking forward to the new option and hope, it will be there near in the future.

Thx,
      Bubba

Comment

May I ask why you need a bitrate that high? Most players and networks are incapable of sustaining that bitrate.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I cannot answer for the OP but I came across the limitation because I wanted to convert a VC-1 encoded M2TS files at 25000 to H264 with minimal quality loss.

I'm not sure what you have down under, but doesn't a 10000 bitrate translate to ~10MB/S and modern wired networks have a theoretical maximum of 1GB/S (not that they get anywhere near that)?

By the way, I know that you have a 50 something inch TV, but how far away do you sit from it?

Comment

Most players are only 100Mb.... I have seen very few with gigabyte ethernet and yes that should still theoretically handle it but I have seen bottlenecks many times.

5 metres from the TV (Approx 16 feet)
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Sorry, I couldn't find one in metres:

Isn't that like twice the optimum distance? I've always wondered why you and I have such different experiences to bitrate choices. Maybe this has something to do with it. I paid a pile of money for all those pixels and I damned well going to be close enough to see them all. I sit about 8 feet from my 52" LCD. (It was very considerate of you to convert the metres to feet by the way.)

Comment

Hmm, now how do I unhijack this thread?

Comment

I've always been taught that an optimum viewing distance is determined by a 15 degree viewing width angle.

I reckon 8 feet is way too close, no wonder that you can see what you do.

Comment

Just a quick and dirty calculator here gives me 6 metres.

Comment

I wanted to convert m2ts to mks for archive purpose of my BD's on a hard drive, which I want to view via a media player (WD TV).

I want to have mkv, since I want to save disk space and at the same time I want to preserve as much as possible quality of the video.

Rgds,
                      Bubba

Comment

So I plugged in 16x9 and 140cm as your TV size into that calculator that you linked to. At the very bottom it says the maximum viewing distance of 2.2 meters (not sure if that is different then metres) to see a fully resolved 1080i. I'm not sure where the 15 degree rule of thumb that you speak of came from.

Maybe we need to include the screen resolution and distance when people ask about bitrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba2010 View Post
                          I want to have mkv, since I want to save disk space and at the same time I want to preserve as much as possible quality of the video.
                          You have a conflict here. If you are looking to save space then 10000 should be a good bitrate to use, any higher and your space savings will not be much.

I take it the WDTV will not play the M2TS file? Otherwise, MKV vs. M2TS will not make much of any difference at the same bitrate.

Comment

The WD TV is capable to play m2ts.

You might be right with the space at higher bitrate. Thats exactly what I wanted to find out ... what would be a good bitrate for HD content in mkv with less quality loss for an action movie (for instance). I wanted to compare different bitrates to decide which one would be ok for me.

Rgds,
                            Bubba

Comment

Working...
                            X