Sharp AQUOS LC-46LE620UT won't play .MP4 created with DVD Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Sharp AQUOS LC-46LE620UT won't play .MP4 created with DVD Ripper

I decided to start a new thread for this.
    I posted a lot about this is a thread started by another member.
    This is a link to that thread:
    https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...1865-mp4-movie

The problem is the .MP4 files done with DVDFab DVD Ripper won't play on my TV.
    A Sharp AQUOS LC-46LE620UT .

MP4 specs for this TV (What is supposed to be able to play):

H.264 BP LV 4.0 (Not support for FMO,ASO & redundant slice)
    H.264 MP LV 4.0
    H.264 HP LV 4.0
    MP4 MPEG-4 SP@L 3.0
    MPEG-4 ASP@HL4.0 (B-VOP and 4MV are supported.GMC is supported but only one point allowed)
    H.263
    Motion JPEG

This TV can play .MP4 files from it's USB port from flash drives & external hard drives.
    I've tested with with:
    ConvertXtoVideo
    Handbrake
    FFMpeg from the Windows Command Prompt using command line code.
    Those I used the DVD compliant format folders & files.

These I used the DVDFab DVD Ripper created .MP4 to test with.
    When processed through these converters the resulting .mp4 worked on my TV.

VSDC Free Video Editor

I tried the same with this one below but it created a corrupted .MP4 from DVD Ripper.
    When I used the DVD compliant folders & files ripped with DVD Copy it created a .mp4 that works on my TV.
    Hybrid was the converter in this test.

I have 5 more converters that I seldom use that I haven't tried .
    I expect they would also create a .mp4 that works on my TV.

The only .MP4s that won't play are the ones I've tried with DVD Ripper.
    I've tried various settings.
    The problem is in the Audio codecs & Video codecs that DVD Ripper uses for the conversion.
    This is the message I get when I attempt to play a .mp4 created by DVDFab DVDRipper on my TV.
    "Audio codec not support"
    "Video codec not support"

So what codecs is DVD Ripper using that are so different from the other converters I've used with success ?

The codecs appear to be the same as the other converters when viewed with MediaInfo.
    DVD Ripper has to have these codecs configured differently in some way.
    The last DVDFab DVDRipper version I used was 10.0.5.2 .
    I believe the first version I tried recently was 10.0.4.6 . No version I've tried has created a .MP4 that works on my TV.

This is something that needs to be fixed in DVD Ripper.
    I'm not the only one that has has problems.
    This member had a problem with a Sony BD player.
    https://forum.dvdfab.cn/forum/softwa...-bluray-player

The member that started the link in the first part of this post also & myself.
    Last edited by cholla; 08-20-2017, 04:57 AM.

Just in case anyone wants to look at the log of the last conversion with DVDFab DVD Ripper.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm not 100% sure if this will help, but in case it does - Encoder settings for Encoding/Decoding are under Common Settings>General>A/V Codec. Changing the settings there should change the codec used to encode the file. Perhaps one of them will be compatible with your TV? (The listing will vary based on your hardware. Mine are all set to CUDA off my GTX 1080 on this rig, but software on my other rig which only has a 280x in it.)

Comment

Thanks Johnathon I will give that a try.
        For the conversions I've always kept the setting as "Software".
        However the A/V Codec settings are only for Video (or appear to be).
        I tried & my graphics card wouldn't support any setting but "Software".
        It will let me use "Disable" . I may try that .

I'm attaching two MediaInfo text files.
        One from a .MP4 done with DVD Ripper version 10.0.5.2. Won't play on my TV.
        One from a .MP4 done with Hybrid. Will play on my TV.
        They are almost identical. The main differences are in the "Encoding settings" in the MediaInfo list.
        Most if not all of these are not settable in DVD Ripper .
        Attached Files
        Last edited by cholla; 08-20-2017, 09:33 PM.

Comment

So on a quick glance, it appears that Hybrid is using avc1, which is the H264 video codec. DVD Ripper is using MP42 which is MPEG-4 version 2, or MPEG-4 ASP...ish, with the ish being key here. A base MPEG-4 ASP encoder won't work straight out of the box with MP42, which is your problem here. I did a quick test with DVD Ripper with the couple of available settings for me, and all of them resulted in an MP42 codec output, so changing the settings doesn't change this, unfortunately. I don't see any other settings in DVD Ripper that have to do with codecs, so it's likely that the staff will need to speak to the availability of other codecs within DVD Ripper.

The audio codec for both is AAC, so nothing there is an issue. The audio codec issue is probably being thrown since it can't even read the video properly.

As for me personally, I use MKV files for the majority of my conversions as they seem to run into many fewer issues with compatibility between devices. I think I saw you mention in one of the other threads you linked that you had tried this with some success. Was there something you didn't like about using the MKV format? (Asking for personal reasons since I have only just started using it myself)

Comment

I also like the .mkv format and Ripper has played fine with .mkv .
            I just believe that Ripper should create an .mp4 that works.
            Another member in one of the link in my first post was having problems playing a .mp4 created with Ripper on a Sony BD player.
            That member already had several .mp4s converted so wanted to keep using .mp4s.
            Thanks for the input.
            I will look at some of the MediaInfo texts I posted in the other thread & see which codec they used.
            I've already deleted those .mp4 files .

Comment

I do use the "Codec H264" in "Advanced Settings" for the .MP4s I've created with DVD Ripper version 10.
              Ripper should use the avc1, which is the H264 video codec . I guess it doesn't .

I tried with ripper version 9 and got the same results as version 10.

I then tried ripper version 8 and the .mp4 played on my TV.
              The difference is version 8 used the isom codec.
              I didn't take the time to set the audio larger so the sound isn't as good as it could be.
              I also had already switched to a two channel conversion in case that might have been part of the problem.
              It doesn't appear that it is.

DVDFab developers need to use the acc1 codec for H264.
              There is a "MPEG4" option for an .MP4 in "Advanced Settings".
              That is where Ripper should use the MP42 codec.
              Attached Files

Comment

I agree, or there should at least be an option to switch codecs, but that would likely require additional software coding to support it. The part where it gets super confusing is trying to figure out what's what. All of the codecs we're talking about are a part of the MPEG-4 standard. H264 is the "friendly" name for MPEG-4 Part 10. MP42 is Microsoft's MPEG codec from what I can tell, and it likely does support the functions and features of Part 10, so technically is an H264 codec, while not necessarily supported by all H264 devices since it doesn't fully follow the standard and can't be decoded by the non-Microsoft decoders. (Ugh!)

Out of curiosity, where are you seeing an "Advanced Settings" for DVDFab? I must be missing it somewhere obvious.

Comment

I will try to answer about the "Advanced Settings" by describing the location.
                  When this forum had the old format I would have posted an image but now they have to be so small that when expanded they are still not very good quality.

Select the Ripper then a format .MP4 for example.
                  Then "Add" a video to convert.
                  In the line where you set the Chapters , Audio language and tracks, Subtitles.
                  You will see some small icons a preview arrow , an open end wrench , a scissors cut , and a delete X.
                  Select the wrench . The "Advanced Settings" box should come on.
                  You can see an image on this web page . Third image down.
                  DVDFab DVD Creator is free DVD creator software that can burn all sorts of videos into DVD discs or to be standard DVD ISO files/folders.

Right now i have Hybrid working on creating a .mp4 that should be MP42 codec.
                  I haven't done that before so I'm not sure this will be the outcome.

If Hybrid doesn't work for this I will try Handbrake.
                  I would like to test a .mp4 with the MP42 codec that wasn't created with Ripper.
                  Just to see if it will play on my TV.
                  Last edited by cholla; 08-21-2017, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Oh, I see what you're talking about.

So looking back at your example mediainfo, they are indeed using AVC1 for the video and AAC for the audio, just like Hybrid does. The whole thing is wrapped into MP42 though, which is where your compatibility issues come into play. I assume, though again my knowledge is very limited in this, that the audio and video would play fine on your TV, but the indexing of how to play it can't be read by it.

Here is the sustainability details page for MPEG-4 V2 on the Library of Congress website, and more specifically, the profile they're using appears to be MP4_FF_2_AVC_BP which is classified as "MPEG-4 File Format, V.2, with AVC, Baseline Profile" which in turn contains MPEG-4_AVC_BP, which is classified as "MPEG-4, Advanced Video Coding (Part 10), Baseline Profile". Confused yet? Me too! So, in essence, it is H264 since it is using Part 10, but using the MP42 instead of AVC1 wrapper/format for the completed file.

Assuming I'm reading any of it correctly

Comment

These are some information texts from another video analysis program .
                      The one for DVD Ripper shows Entropy coding type: CAVLC
                      The Hybrid shows Entropy coding type: CABAC
                      There are some other differences but both show Bitstream type: MPEG-4 Part 10 .

The media text file for Jewel shows very similar information to the DVD Ripper .mp4 .
                      I used a smaller file so the conversion would be faster.
                      The Jewel.mp4 was done with Handbrake and will play on my TV.
                      Other than that it is so close I don't know why it will play when the DVD Ripper .mp4 won't
                      Except as above DVD Ripper is using CAVLC insted of CABAC,
                      Attached Files

Comment

Except as above DVD Ripper is using CAVLC insted of CABAC, This is likely the reason it doesn't work on your tv.

Comment

Try switching Hybrid to CAVLC instead of CABAC (On the x264 tab) and redoing the encoding and see if that breaks it for playback on your TV. That'll tell you if CABAC/CAVLC is your issue. It'd be odd for CAVLC to not be supported by your TV, but I suppose it's possible.

Comment

I did two conversions using CAVLC . One with Hybrid and one with Handbrake.
                            I didn't set the Format profile for H264 so both used High instead of Main.
                            Hybrid used L4.1 & HandBrake used L3 . I hope that didn't make the difference.
                            In HandBrake I had to use Advanced to turn off the CABAC so there was no way to set the Format profile.
                            I could have in Hybrid but didn't
                            Both of these .mp4s played on my TV.

I did check a DVDFab Ripper created .MKV & it used CABAC and so did the Ripper version 8 that worked.
                            Right now I'm doing one with DVDFab version 7 my oldest & the only version 7 I have.
                            I uses DVD to Mobile as there is no Ripper in it. There are a lot fewer settings.
                            So I will see what it does when finished.

In the TV specs I posted it has this: H.264 BP LV 4.0 (Not support for FMO,ASO & redundant slice)
                            Any idea what BP stands for or FMO,ASO & redundant slice ?
                            Last edited by cholla; 08-21-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

They sure are acronym happy, though they didn't use RS for redundant slice, which is weird since they used acronyms for everything else.

BP = Baseline Profile, LV is presumably level. Which has to do with bitrates and macroblock layout. So Baseline profile, level 4.0 which equates to:
                              Level Number: 4
                              Max Macroblocks Per Second: 245760
                              Max Frame Size (Macroblocks): 8192

Max Video Bit Rate (VCL) for Baseline, Extended, and Main Profiles: 20 Mbit/s
                              Max Video Bit Rate (VCL) for High Profile: 25 Mbit/s
                              Max Video Bit Rate (VCL) for High 10 Profile: 60 Mbit/s
                              Max Video Bit Rate (VCL) for High 4:2:2 and High 4:4:4 Predictive Profiles: 80 Mbit/s

To apply this to numbers that actually mean something, this supports up to 1920x1088@30.1FPS (Essentially, 1920x1080@30FPS with wiggle room.)

Essentially, it means you're limited to a 20 Mbit/s bitrate if you use the Baseline profile. The other profiles are listed on the support list as well (MP = Main Profile and HP = High Profile) So in essence, your TV supports H.264 V4 in general, but not some of the loss resilience features of the H.264 standard. (see below)

The non-supported portion is all in reference to "Loss Resilience" features of the H.264 standard.
                              FMO = Flexible Macroblock Ordering
                              ASO = Arbitrary Slice Ordering
                              Redundant Slice = An error/loss robustness feature that lets an encoder send an extra representation of a picture region (typically at lower fidelity) that can be used if the primary representation is corrupted or lost.
                              Last edited by Johnathon; 08-21-2017, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X