Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best format for Bluray playback using Plex, w/compessed video and lossless audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best format for Bluray playback using Plex, w/compessed video and lossless audio

I'm trying to figure out the best combo for playback on my plex app (running on an appleTV-based system). I want lossless DTS (or other high quality) audio playback retained, but I want to compress the video ala m4v. I've been using the appleTV preset and it works ok for video, but I am not getting as good as audio as I'd like. Is 7.1 supported in the m4v codec? I have a 7.1 setup so I'd like to take advantage of that.

I know I can do MKV pass-through, but I cant deal with those massive BD file sizes (and I'm not sure if plex ala appleTV can stream that much data?!). So whats the best codec/setup for me?! Thx.
    Last edited by Sub; 10-22-2017, 02:41 AM.

You can do MKV.H264 or MKV.H265, 1 pass High Quality and just Copy the audio.
    Works great.

H265 isn't Direct Play supported on some Plex Apps as of yet, but H264 is Direct Play supported on everything that has a Plex app.
    H264 file is 20% larger than the H265 file.

Comment

Thanks for the good info, trying a mkv.264/10bit/audio pass-through now. Any opinion on mp4 vs mkv?

Is 265 likely to come soon with systems running plex run on a AppleTV?

Comment

MP4 is more widely supported. So you would be able to direct play H265 using that container.
        I'm not sure if there is a size difference between the two though.

I have two devices that can't direct play MKV.H265 through its plex app:
        Amazon fire stick and LG Oled TV with WebOS 3.0.
        Also can't direct play through a browser.

But you can direct play MKV.H265 if you use DNLA.

I don't have an AppleTV nor will I ever have one.
        I would look on their forums for that answer.

Comment

Ok good info, thanks! So I tried a few versions and strangely plex isnt picking them up and adding them to the library!? Any ideas there?!

Are there any M4V formats that allow audio passthrough/copying? Apple seems to like that format.

Comment

Couldn't tell you why Plex isn't seeing your files.
            http://​​​​​​​https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203824396-What-media-formats-are-supported-

Make sure you placed them in the proper folder and then Refresh All Metadata in Plex.

I don't know anything about M4V formats. Sorry.

Comment

try to stay within Apple TV specs for direct play functionality.

4th gen specs https://support.apple.com/kb/SP724?locale=en_US

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                X