This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XBOX 360 1080/DTS Conversion to 5.1

I am creating this thread to discuss HD video on the XBOX 360 with 5.1 sound from a DTS source. Through several other threads, I have confirmed that the 360 will play 1920x1080 video with Dolby Digital 5.1 sound from within 2 containers:

WMV (xbox360.wmv.wma10 settings)
    -and-
    avi (generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy settings)

a transcode from any file or DVD with Dolby 5.1 produces video and audio on the 360 approaching blu-ray quality.

The problem is when converting or ripping anything with a DTS soundtrack. I have exhausted several labor intensive methods, some outside of DVD fab to 'fix' this problem to arrive at DD5.1 sound with 1080p video playable on the 360.

Has anyone had any luck with this? And if so, please share your method.

DVDfab is a great product and i'm stunned that the marketing department hasn't capitalized on the thousands of potential customers that are looking for exactly this solution. A quick google search for "convert DTS to 5.1 for XBOX 360" brings up several hits for solutions that include batchfiles, command line interfaces, splitting, remuxing, etc. etc. with multiple pieces of software. DVDfab should be able to do this, and if it doesn't, it should. Every time I attempt to transcode a DTS soundtrack within DVDfab, either the tracks are switched, the program crashes within 30 seconds, or it processes, then hangs at the end. It'd also be nice if the 360 would be able to handle DTS, as DVDfab is able to audiocopy fairly quickly with the avi/xvid container.

There's a flood of PS3-compatible files that are being torrented currently, using the .mkv container, these are the main format i'm focusing on for the solution. A typical file format is like this one:

IMAX.The.Living.Sea.1995.1080p.BluRay.x264-Classic

º Street Date............ 2008-10-14 Release Date.......... 2010-02-01 º
    º Auio................ Eng DTS 1536k Container.................... MKV º
    º Source..................... BluRay Bitrate.................... 10350 º
    º Codec .......... X264 L4.1 [2PASS] Size .................... 71x50mb º
    º Subs. None! .................................................. ........

Does anyone have any luck transcoding these using DVDfab and playing them directly from the 360 to retain 5.1 sound (by burning to disc or loading to a PVP, etc.)? I am aware that these can be streamed using WMC, etc. but the result is 2 channel sound, which is not the focus of this thread.

Thanks for your comments.

You were fine until you started talking about downloading content from torrents. Give this thread a read before posting again:

Observance of Copyright Laws in the DVDFab Forums

Thread closed.

Comment

Working...
    X