This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on framerate and deinterlacing

I was wondering if anyone can explain what would be considered best practice when selecting framerate and whether or not to choose deinterlacing. I have done some experimenting and so far the deinterlaced rips have actually produced a larger file. I noticed that DVDs seem to always default to either 29.97 fps or 23.967 fps. I'm still ripping video to see if there is a difference. There is also the "same as source" option, which I would think would be best to use, but I just don't know. I commonly use the H264.mp3 option.

Often I use mp3 with a stereo channel selected, but even if I save a profile it always reverts back to Dolby ProLogic II. Does anyone know if the file size changes when using the Dolby choices? Advantages and disadvantages? I always thought Dolby was something the player used to make stereo tracks sound better and don't know what it does in the encoding process.

I am fairly familiar with all the other settings and would be appreciative for further insight on framerate, deinterlacing and audio on DVDFab DVD to Mobile. Thanks.

Okay, after some experimenting there is not much difference with deinterlacing with the movie Oceans Thirteen. From what I read the movie may have not been encoded as interlaced. I also have lots of clips from VHS that I burn to DVD on a VHS to DVD dubber. After taking one of these dubbed DVDs I find that deinterlacing greatly reduces file size. Another anomoly I noticed is the audio is missing from some of the rips. Not sure why yet.

I also noticed that file size is greatly affected by framerate. I did several rips from 10 fps to 29.97 fps. Quality change is quite evident. I have found some DVDs seemed to be encoded at 23.967 fps and I don't know what benefit could come from ripping it at a higher framerate.

I also ripped using mp3 stereo and mp3 Dolby ProLogic II. The file sizes were exactly the same. Because the audio was missing on some clips during this experiment I can't comment on sound quality.

Thanks for any insight or advice on these settings when ripping to avi h264.mp3 file.

Comment

It is best to leave framerate as "Same as Source" unless your destination device has a limitation (you didn't specify). DVDFab will automatically knock down the framerate when the DVD video is actually a progressive source masquerading as 29.97 to satisfy the DVD specification.

Most of the time you can leave the deinterlace on automatic as well. It usually only needs to be manually set for oddball content (like VHS dubs, some older TV shows, and some cartoons).

If you are concerned about file size then the bitrate is the magic valve to turn to achieve the desired balance between watchability and size.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've been using DVDFab for years and am familiar with what bitrates I like, etc. Do you know if the deinterlacing check box checks or unchecks itself? It seems to come up on whatever setting I used last and can't be certain of how it's working. It would be nice if there was an option or indication where DVDFab states or sets what it recommends on the deinterlacing option when ripping to file. Or at least is more clear about it.

Comment

Working...
        X