Software upscaling DVD content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Software upscaling DVD content

I recently came across some copies of Babylon 5 episodes upscaled using software to 1080P, and the results are very impressive. I've always been skeptical about leaving upscaling to the TV as it must do it's job in a very small amount of time (1/30th of second for 30FPS video) and this only gets worse as resolution increases, going from DVD to 4K resolution requires a lot more processing than going to 1080 resolution, and 8K will be even worse.

I've also seen some upscaling of Star Trek DS9 which clearly shows what can be achieved:
    The site for the Remako Mod, a Final Fantasy VII mod that uses AI to improve the graphics of this classic JRPG.

Though the method outlined here is tedious, it does seem to have a basic workflow that could be automated during a ripping process. Maybe it's too CPU intense today, but it's somehting that might be worth your engineers giving some thought.

We have some profiles like 8k, 4k, etc, with them, you can upscale the content of DVD, you can have a try and see how they works.

Comment

I tried the 4K one this afternoon, but it doesn't look like you do much to improve quality, at least not compared to what I've seen with Babylon 5 episodes. BTW, this not meant as any sort of criticism, I have no idea how much CPU time was used on the B5 episodes, it maybe completely impractical to do this during a RIP at the moment. However, I think it's an area with potential for the future and might be a good differentiator for DVDfab.

Comment

Thanks for the respond, we will check what you post in the #1 first.

Comment

Working...
        X