X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD to mpeg/mpeg4

Hi!

I've just bought the "DVD to Mobile" program, because I want to put all my DVD's on a NAS server as mpeg4 files.
    I have a PS3 and I know that it should be able to play mpeg4 files, but the PS3 will not recognize the files I have made with, "DVD to Mobile" PS3 option. The mpeg4 files/movies are on the NAS server and the PS3 can see the NAS server, and the PS3 can see the mpeg4 files/movies but it will not play it.
    I also have a Sony LCD 32" mpeg4 TV, that should also be able to play mpeg4 files/movies, but it's the same thing, it can see the NAS server and the mpeg4 files/movies but it will not play it.

The funny thing is a have some old mpeg2 files/movie clips, I then tried to put them on the NAS server, and both the PS3 and the Sony LCD 32" TV will play these files with out any problems.......

So my question is, can "DVD to Mobile" make mpeg2 files or can I change the settings in "DVD to Mobile" so that the mpeg4 files will work on the PS3 and the Sony LCD 32" mpeg4 TV.

PS3 is querky about mpg4, yes it will play then when loaded directly on to it but not when playing over a NAS.

Create XVID AVI's with audio stream passthrough (retain 5.1 etc.)

Comment

What about the mpeg2 format, can I create that with DVDFab. I know that the mpeg2 format works on PS3 and the Sony TV, so I would prefer to use the mpeg2 format.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty68 View Post
        PS3 is querky about mpg4, yes it will play then when loaded directly on to it but not when playing over a NAS.
        I and others stream MP4 files from NAS to PS3 without an issue. The PS3 is picky about how the files are encoded, but not whether they are streamed or local. You may instead be experiencing problems if you are trying to use a WIFI network. There are only differences in what the PS3 will play from a disc rather then a file and streamed.

Originally posted by rebakr7 View Post
        What about the mpeg2 format, can I create that with DVDFab. I know that the mpeg2 format works on PS3 and the Sony TV, so I would prefer to use the mpeg2 format.
        VOB Passthrough from a DVD is the only output method in DVDFab that creates an file with MPEG2. I use it for almost all my movies to stream to the PS3. Be aware that DVDFab simply dumps the streams in this mode so the time remaining often doesn't display correctly and you may need to stop and start after fast forwarding to get the NAS and PS3 to catch up in a timely manner.

Comment

I am able to do exactly what you are trying. The only difference is that instead of just trying to browse the NAS from the PS3, I use the free media server program Tversity on the same PC that I use the DVDFAB program on. None of the movies are on this pc, I just point the Tversity program to the NAS server for the media.

The ps3 plays them all like a champ. I think the Tversity program makes them all appear to be a PS3 friendly format and file structure, but this is just a guess. I have a nice profile that I use just for this purpose. It is H.264 with AAC audio. But all of my videos play fine including the mpeg 2, DVD Vob files, XVID and AVI.

After all of my testing, I now only use H.264 unless a device can't read it.

Comment

Working...
          X