X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help trying to encode multiple selected titles from the same DVD

Hello,

I am trying to re-encode all the Seinfeld episodes to my custom h.264 profile. I have ripped all of the seasons DVD's to my hard drive. I can see that for one DVD may have 6 episodes on it with a total of 16 titles. So what I have done is select the DVD source, then the first title, then my profile, then to the edit page and change the title to something like"Seinfeld Season One Episode One"

Next I reselect the same source DVD, select the second title / episode, and repeat except calling this title "Seinfeld Season One Episode Two".

What happens it that I did this for ALL of the DVD's and ALL of the episodes. The batch que was a mile long....!

When I hit the start button, I started getting messages about the overwrite warning duplicate file name. So I stopped and looked at the que list and saw that the majority of my tasks had the names changed back to the defaults, thus causing the same destination title and the overwrite conflict for all the rest of the titles on that particular DVD.

So, before I tried to re-edit the que and re-name the titles again, I wanted to see what I did wrong.

Is there a much easier way to do this?

What I am looking for as the final product is this:
    If the Season One DVD has 6 episodes, I would like to have 6 mp4 files that are called "Seinfeld Season One Episode X" with the X being the number for the episode.

Then continue on until I have a long list of mp4 files that are all individual episodes.

Thanks for the help!

You should not have to open the same source disc more than once. Simply click the checkbox next to each title you wish to convert. I would then open up the queue and modify the file names as desired. Also, make sure each source directory has a unique name (ex. Seinfeld_S1_D1).

Comment

May I suggest that the following is a good series naming convention:-

Series Name SXXEXX

Then all episodes will appear in order when alpha sorted.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
        You should not have to open the same source disc more than once. Simply click the checkbox next to each title you wish to convert. I would then open up the queue and modify the file names as desired. Also, make sure each source directory has a unique name (ex. Seinfeld_S1_D1).
        This will be so much easier! Thanks for the tip. When I selected more than one title, I would get the duplicate title warning, and I never though to look to the queue to change the filenames!

One question, can you explain what you mean by "each source directory has a unique name"?

I know that I need each output file to have a unique name, but the source directory should be the DVD folder, and should be the same source for all the titles, right? I think I am misunderstanding you about this.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
          May I suggest that the following is a good series naming convention:-

Series Name SXXEXX

Then all episodes will appear in order when alpha sorted.
          Gregi, this also sounds like a great tip. Can you make this naming convention idiot proof for me? What would you actually call the file if it were for example the Seinfeld Season 3 Episode 4 title?

Would you recommend "Seinfeld S3E4" or "Seinfeld Season 3 Episode 4"?

Comment

I would use Sienfeld S03E04 because if there are more than 10 episodes or more than 10 seasons, if you do not put in the leading zero, the alpha sort will get out of whack.

Also, I generally try to keep the names meaningful but as short as possible because a lot of hardware media players in the marketplace will not display over 18 characters.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by xrayengineer View Post
              This will be so much easier! Thanks for the tip. When I selected more than one title, I would get the duplicate title warning, and I never though to look to the queue to change the filenames!

One question, can you explain what you mean by "each source directory has a unique name"?

I know that I need each output file to have a unique name, but the source directory should be the DVD folder, and should be the same source for all the titles, right? I think I am misunderstanding you about this.
              When you rip (or later rename) the source DVD folders they should look something like this:

X:\movies\Full Disc\SEINFELD_S1_D1\VIDEO_TS
              X:\movies\Full Disc\SEINFELD_S1_D2\VIDEO_TS

The output files would then default to something like:

SEINFELD_S1_D1.Title1.mp4

The following directory naming examples will give you problems:

X:\movies\Full Disc\Season_1_Disc_1\SEINFELD\VIDEO_TS
              X:\movies\Full Disc\Season_1_Disc_2\SEINFELD\VIDEO_TS
              X:\movies\Full Disc\Season_1_Disc_3\DVD_VIDEO\VIDEO_TS
              X:\movies\Full Disc\Season_1_Disc_4\DVD_VIDEO\VIDEO_TS

Comment

Thanks Gregiboy and Complication for the tips, this is going to make this mountain of DVD's more manageable!

Comment

Working...
                X