Correct Frame Rate Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Correct Frame Rate Issue

I have ripped over a thousand DVD/Blu-ray discs and started noticing an issue concerning Frame Rate. I have depended on the Ripper to identify the correct rate, but I have noticed some issues on playing back the MP4 files that were ripped.

For example, I was watching the movie Made in America and noticed one area of fast motion that the video was choppy. It was ripped at the suggested 23.976 (Same as Source) frame rate. Looking at the DVD VOB files, the frame rate on the VOBs was 29.97 fps. So as a test, I re-ripped the movie at 29.97 and the choppy portion disappeared. Also, I checked the end of the newly ripped movie for video and voice synchronization and they were synced. I have seen some videos that if I try to rip them at the higher 29.97 fps, the video and voice do go out of synchronization towards the end. I ripped a Blu-ray of The Cobbler at 29.97 and had to re-rip at 23.976 as suggested by the Ripper due to the synchronization of voice and video.

Today, I am re-ripping the mini-series From Earth to the Moon and had all the VOB files show 29.97 fps on the first DVD. The series has two chunks of video lasting about 90 minutes each on each DVD and this time the first chunk suggested 23.976 (Same as Source) the second chunk was suggested 29.97 (Same as Source). I ripped both at 29.97 and checked for video and voice synchronization and they were synced.

So how do I determine the best Frame Rate if the Ripper does not appear to be dependable on suggesting the best one? Can the Ripper be fixed so I do not have to manually find the best Frame Rate?

Please pick one of the movies that got "suggested 23.976 (Same as Source) ", and then use Copy-Main Movie mode to create a chapter copy from it, send us that chapter copy, we will check on our side. I will PM you the FTP info, please kindly check, thank you.

Comment

With the source “Made in America”, we notice the issue about recognizing the 29.97FPS source as 23.976 (Same as Source) , we will check.

About the choppy issue, please check the attached image, is this the choppy portion meant?Click image for larger version

Name:	choppy portion.png
Views:	707
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	385496
      We cannot duplicate the sync issue with this source while using 23.976 (Same as Source) though.

Comment

As asked for Mona, I have FTPed the iso file named MADE_IN_AMERICA_NTSC_4X3_PS.iso. I did Copy Movie Only. I ripped two versions of the movie off this iso, one at 23.97 and one at 29.97. Just as before, it recommended 23.97. At timestamp 57:20 Whoopi is riding a bike into water and just as she goes down the ramp, the 23.97 version shows a choppiness. I viewed the 29.97 version and the choppiness went away and also no synchronization issues between video and audio.

To clarify, the synchronization issue appears only to occur if a attempt to force a 23.97 video to 29.97 when the actual video needs it at 23.97. The synchronization shows up towards the end of the video in the 29.97 version only. In this case, it was suggested to use 23.97 and I saw the choppiness. Thinking it should have recommended 29.97 (the same as the VOB fps), I ripped at 29.97 and it removed the choppiness and also kept the synchronization. So I believe that this video should be done at 29.97. This is not the case in all videos. Some I have forced to 29.97, ignoring the recommended 23.97, and the video to audio was out of sync. So sometimes the recommendation works and sometimes it does not. Now I experiment and rip the video at 29.97 and then check for synchronization. If good, I keep that version, if bad, I re-rip at 23.97. I just hope that the software somehow can figure out the correct fps to use and recommend it.

Comment

Working...
        X