This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversion Suggestions

Ok, I have spent the past 3 months ripping my 500 title DVD library to my Promise 4600 NAS (as VIDEO_TS file structure) and playing around with a variety of different "set-top" type Media Players (which will be on ebay soon as I try to recover some of my $ spent).

I even built a HTPC with Windows Media center 7, with Media Browser/Meta Browser and have to say that it is the BEST. The cover art, etc and ability to simply click on a cover and play the movie just like it was a DVD player is great - however, it is a Windows PC which means a lot of "back end maintenance" and even with a remote control, it is a bit complicated for the kids.

Going to get a Netgear EVA 9100 next - looks promising, but $250 - ugh.

Ok, so on to the question:
    What single file format will be able to retain the best video quality (LOSSLESS prefered) and ALL of the high-quality audio tracks?

Even though months ago (even on here) I was insistent on DVD menu support, etc, I have now given up on menus as even though many of the devices claim to play them, they do not, or they do in a way that is too much of a PITA to navigate to the VOB file, find the first one, etc.

So, the bottom line is that now I want to convert my 500 VISEO_TS folders to 500 video "files" that are the original video quality and audio quality AND do not have the A/V sync issue everyone is talking about.

(PS - I saw someone made a batch file to do bulk converts a while back - is that still around?)

Thanks for everyone's input.

jcheil:
    If understood you correctly, you want all of your DVDs on HDD, ready to be played with your mediapleer and so on. You want those DVDs being converted into something different than VIDEO_TS folder and menus and other DVD atributes being preserved. In this case, I would suggest you to download DVDFab Passkey 7 (new FREE product, just being introduced by DVDFab team), ImgBurnm and DVDFab Virtual Drive. All three programs are freeware, and wouldn't cost you anything. After you install all of them, following suppose to happen:
    1. When you insert DVD, DVDFab Passkey will remove region and protection on-a-fly;
    2. Than, you rip your DVD into ISO file (disc image) with help of ImgBurm and store this ISO file in you HDD storage.
    3. When needed, you mount that image with DVDFab Virtual Drive and play it with player of you choice. (I heart by the way, that PowerDVD works best in cases like that).
    As a result, you will have all your DVD electronically available without losing a thing.
    Good luck
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

yes but still too complicated for kids to do. Try using the VOB Passthrough located in DVD to Mobile. It just does main movie but keeps the DVD quality as is

Comment

AGJ,
        good solution, but all menus and extras goes bye-bye
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Yes he said he does not mind doing main movie now as the media players he has been trying do not play menus correctly

Comment

AGJ
            I think we gave him enough options to keep him busy for a while
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
              AGJ
              I think we gave him enough options to keep him busy for a while
              Yes, thank you, it seems like the VOB pass-thru will be exactly what I am looking for, which (for clarification) is a SINGLE playable file with no loss in quality from the original DVD. And also for clarification, all of my DVD's are already ripper to my HDD with protection and region remove using the DVD product.

PS - Is that "Batch Coversion" thread still around?

Comment

Yeah, it's in the "GUIDES" section of the forum.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Just FYI - I also just bought a Seagate FreeAgent Theater yesterday and it DOES play DVD menus and special features - but sadly, I thinkn the rest of the product is the pits!

Let's see, I have bought 4 in the past 2 weeks trying to find one I like and not thrilled with any yet. perhaps this thread will turn into a product review and then ultimately a link to my EBay listings for the ones I don't like

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X