Forced Subtitles not being integrated in Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forced Subtitles not being integrated in Movie

I'm trying to rip Hunt for Red October blueray with DVDFab 12.0.6.3, but can't get the English Forced Subtitles to be included in the scanned movie -- I've tried seemingly every permutation of "Display Only Forced Subtitles / Forced Only", "/Normal and Forced only", "Scan Forced" -- none of these has included the English subtitles at the beginning.

Is there some specific setting I need to consider?

I had ripped the non-BlueRay one years ago, and it was successful, with a much older version of DVDFab.

I've noticed some movies include the forced subtitles as an entirely separate track. Did you see more then 1 English sub track in the drop down? If there is, try using the preview in DVDFab and select the second ENG sub track. If it only shows subs for the foreign language parts then that's the one you want. If you're ripping to MKV, after DVDFab is done processing you can use MKVToolNix Header Editor to set the track as forced/default since DVDFab doesn't seem to do this on its own when its a separate track.
    Last edited by wemickna; 06-09-2022, 06:00 PM.

Comment

What mode are you running Fab when ripping? I generally rip in "Full Disc" mode. I am ripping my BD of Hunt for Red October now (DVDFab 12074) to see if the beginning forced subtitles are included. Will come back when done.
      btw - my disc is not using a separate subtitle stream for forced subtitles. There are 2 english subtitle streams available, both displaying english subtitles for the entire film.

Update:
      I ripped the disc in "Full Disc" mode resulting in "files/folders". I then created a miniso for it and mounted it to the Fab virtual drive. Then played it using PlayerFab. The defaults do not activate any subtitle stream and the opening scene forced subtitles display just fine.

Tell me how you are trying to do this and I will experiment more.
      Last edited by Rich86; 06-09-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Hey Rich,

I know I'm not jlciii but based off the context of their original post I'd say they are using the "Ripper" module, not the "Copy" module. "Full Disk" mode doesn't apply to creating single video files such as mp4 and mkv. They're asking how to retain forced subtitles when using the "Ripper" module. For most Disney Blu-Rays I've encountered, the forced ENG subs are kept on their own second track. In contrast my Avatar Blu-Ray has the forced subtitles flagged in a single track with the CC subtitles.

When the forced subs are part of a single track with the CC subs, DVDFab has to scan and separate them out into 2 tracks for most players to recognize them properly, which is why that option exists. PlayerFab seems to be an exception and DVDFab found a way for it to recognize the forced flags on a single track. I've never been able to get single track forced subs to work on VLC or MPC-HC though. My guess is Hunt for Red October has them on 2 tracks and you should see 2 ENG options in the subtitle drop down on the Ripper module. If its a non-US Blu-Ray then it might not have ENG forced subs at all. If there is only one ENG track and it is a US Blu-Ray then there's something wrong with Fab's subtitle scanning for that particular disk.
        Last edited by wemickna; 06-09-2022, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I will play around with the ripper module and this title and see what I can come up with.

Update: I used DVDFab to rip the main title from Hunt for Red October to mkv and included the 1st listed english subtitle stream only. I played it back in Fab Play with subtitles off . . and the initial scene forced subtitles displayed just fine. I can test it i using mp4 output also if necessary.
          Last edited by Rich86; 06-10-2022, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X