X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta 7.0.2.1 profiles

Hello

Just trying the new Beta 7.0.2.1, in particular the Blu Ray to Mobile option.

When selecting MP4 there is no way of selecting any particular profiles for other devices (for example ipod)

1. It would be good if we could change the individual settings of the mp4 codec - Reference Frames, CABAC, Baseline profile etc. This would give far more flexibility.

2. When changing video effects and changing the size of the output - it would be good if under the custom it had the ability to keep the aspect ratio. You currently have to manually enter both the width and height. Is it possible to just enter the width and the application work out the height from the aspect ratio selected?

Also when selecting custom, the final converted image does not retain the crop settings?

3. Is there any way of getting the subitles to be burnt into the final video instead of them being supplied as external files?

4. As mentioned in another thread, the playback of the created file is very jumpy. Howerver, this is only in Quicktime. Playing the same file in VLC is completely smooth.

thanks. eon

Originally posted by eon_designs View Post
    When selecting MP4 there is no way of selecting any particular profiles for other devices (for example ipod)
    The developers are currently working on migrating the existing DVD to Mobile to the new engine and have intimated that this process will make the other DVD to Mobile profiles available to Blu-Ray to Mobile.

1. It would be good if we could change the individual settings of the mp4 codec - Reference Frames, CABAC, Baseline profile etc. This would give far more flexibility.
    Is what you are looking for in the presets XML files? This is a subdirectory of the profiles2 directory of DVDFab and Blu-Ray to Mobile profiles reference them for many settings. There are is no documentation available, but you may be able to figure things out. You will want to make your own new files as the next install will overwrite any changes you make to the existing files.

4. As mentioned in another thread, the playback of the created file is very jumpy. Howerver, this is only in Quicktime. Playing the same file in VLC is completely smooth.
    Quicktime may be choking on the stream size. My (few) experiments so far with Blu-Ray to Mobile have generated several parts in the each file where the bandwidth spikes to a very high level.

Comment

Additional Advanced settings MP4 or MKV

Sorry the reply has taken so long:

Had a look in the XML files - can't see any reference to the additional settings that can be changed for both MP4 and MKV files.

For example withing Handbrake you can change:

Number of Reference frames
      Mixed References
      B Frames
      Motion Estimation Method
      Subpixel Motion Estimation
      8x8 DCT
      CABAC
      No Fast P Skip
      No DCT Decimate
      etc

All these help to create a better encoding.

Are there any plans to get these included in either Blu-Ray to Mobile or DVD to Mobile?

Many thanks. eon

Comment

What XML files were you looking EON? I writing my own presets without any problems. If you DO know what are you doing, here's what you should do:
        go to installation directory DVDFab 7 -> profiles2 -> preset. In this folder you will find 5 presets. Take x264_WDTV_High_Quality and modify the way you want it, override and save. Go back one step to profiles2 folder and find mkv.h264.audiocopy profile. Set this profile for your modified preset, override and save. Now when you chose mkv.h264.audiocopy option in GUI, Fab will follow your codec settings you just made. Easy enough. Good luck
        Sorry the reply has taken so long:

Had a look in the XML files - can't see any reference to the additional settings that can be changed for both MP4 and MKV files.

For example withing Handbrake you can change:

Number of Reference frames
        Mixed References
        B Frames
        Motion Estimation Method
        Subpixel Motion Estimation
        8x8 DCT
        CABAC
        No Fast P Skip
        No DCT Decimate
        etc

All these help to create a better encoding.

Are there any plans to get these included in either Blu-Ray to Mobile or DVD to Mobile?

Many thanks. eon
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks

i was looking in the wrong folder.

Out of interest - how do you just set the x264_WDTV_High_Quality preset from within DVD Fab?

This is basically the setting I was looking for as I have just purchased a WDTV Live.

Must be looking in the wrong place as I can't find it anywhere from within DVDFab

How do you change the presets for the profiles that are not in profiles 2 folder? for example the ipod profile - that does not have a line for the x264 default?

I tried the above method - but under my options In DVDfab I only have Generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy profiles. I can't see the ones that I have modified?
          Last edited by eon_designs; 04-26-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

ipod profiles are in "Profiles" folder
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

IPopov50 thansks for all your replies:

Could you do an idiots guide to changing the profile settings as I am not getting anywhere:

1. Found the ipod profiles in the "Profiles" folder, but these are very short and have no mention of the advanced features of x264 or link to the defaults in the "Profiles2/Presets" folder. What am I missing?

2. Found the x264_WDTV_High_Quality preset in the "Profiles2/Presents" folder. Made the alterations I wanted. Think I have got that part working - Just need help with the ipod version in the normal "Profiles" folder.

Many thanks. eon.
              Last edited by eon_designs; 04-26-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

2. Found the x264_WDTV_High_Quality preset in the "Profiles2/Presents" folder. Made the alterations I wanted. Think I have got that part working - Just need help with the ipod version in the normal "Profiles" folder.
                You do not save it with different name - you overwrite it.
                Go to mkv.h264.audiocopy profile, open it and replace x264_ABR_Fast.preset with x264_WDTV_High_Quality in this line:
                <x264 preset="x264_ABR_Fast.preset" />
                That's it, you done.
                If you need anything else, I would suggest to search forums - there are plenty material. I'm pretty sure you have no idea what are you talking about. All you know is a few fancy words from HandBrake GUI. You have to do your research first, and then all this wouldn't be as puzzling anymore.
                sigpic

Comment

Also suggest you go to V7.0.4.5 as this thread indicates an earlier version.
                  "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

IPopov50, thanks for the reply.

I wanted to save it with a different name so that I retained the original. Seems to be working ok.

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what are you talking about. All you know is a few fancy words from HandBrake GUI
                    A little harsh. I admit, I don't know everything about the in's and out's of the x264 codec, I know a little. However, I am migrating from Handbrake to DVDFab and had managed to get good settings within Handbrake. All I want to do is replicate them in DVDFab? - is that asking too much?

Also how do you change the generic profiles? I have searched but not found a way. For example: Selecting either DVD to Mobile or File to Mobile and then selecting MKV - all the profiles state "generic" eg. "generic.mvk.h264.audiocopy" These profiles are in the "Profiles" folder not the "Profiles2" folder. For some of these all I want to do is increase the number of threads to 8

GregiBoy - I'll update to the next version - thanks.
                    Last edited by eon_designs; 04-27-2010, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                      Go to mkv.h264.audiocopy profile, open it and replace x264_ABR_Fast.preset with x264_WDTV_High_Quality in this line:
                      <x264 preset="x264_ABR_Fast.preset" />
                      That's it, you done.
                      I would disagree with you here. Not only does this leave you without the use of the original but when the next version of DVDFab is installed your changes will be lost. Eon_designs' method is fine.

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                      I'm pretty sure you have no idea what are you talking about. All you know is a few fancy words from HandBrake GUI. You have to do your research first, and then all this wouldn't be as puzzling anymore.
                      Your posting on the forums is appreciated but please stop short of this kind of response. It is not useful, wanted, or allowed. If you find yourself writing something like this again then please close the window and stop away from the keyboard for a while to cool off.

A little harsh. I admit, I don't know everything about the in's and out's of the x264 codec, I know a little. However, I am migrating from Handbrake to DVDFab and had managed to get good settings within Handbrake. All I want to do is replicate them in DVDFab? - is that asking too much?
                      DVDFab is designed as a simple fix to a complex problem and does not have all the user editable controls (especially on the GUI) that one has in Handbrake. The new X to Mobile engine used in Blu-Ray to Mobile is a giant step in that direction but be prepared for the fact that there may be hard coded things behind the scenes.

Also how do you change the generic profiles? I have searched but not found a way. For example: Selecting either DVD to Mobile or File to Mobile and then selecting MKV - all the profiles state "generic" eg. "generic.mvk.h264.audiocopy" These profiles are in the "Profiles" folder not the "Profiles2" folder. For some of these all I want to do is increase the number of threads to 8
                      You will have to wait for DVD/File to Mobile to be upgraded to the new engine. It is on the to-do list for the developers but I have no ETA for you.

Comment

Complication thank you for your reply - that was the kind of answer I was looking for.

I did not know that there was a new engine for the Blu-Ray to Mobile. All makes sense now.

Also thanks for pointing out that changing the profile names is a good thing. I was just about to update to the latest Beta and would have lost the settings I am currently trying out.

I have just about all the setting working - but cannot get <MixedRefs> or <noFastPSkip> to be turned on. For <MixedRefs> I have tried, true and 1 but each time Media Info shows mixed_ref=0. As for <noFastPSkip> have tried 0, True, False and 1 and it never shows in Media Info. From what I understand from these settings they help a little with quality and in the past I have always had them turned on.

eon

Comment

Working...
                        X