Questions About Preset Profiles for Rip Tasks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Questions About Preset Profiles for Rip Tasks

I have a number of questions about the Preset Profiles that are available when setting up a rip task.

First, I do not and never will want to use any 3D profile, but there are a bunch of those that just clutter things up when I am looking for something I do want to use. Is there any way to remove those 3D profiles from the basic selections screen? Maybe give us a 2D filter so I never have to look at a 3D profile again.

My next question is specifically about the "10bit" profiles. What is this "10bit" or "12bit", and where is this "10bit" setting? When I select either the MP4.H265 or the MP4.H265.10bit profiles, I see absolutely nothing different when I look at the Advanced Settings for the task. But there obviously IS a difference; because, the "10bit" task takes 5 times as long to run using the same input.

To complicate matters even more, because the H265 tasks in DVD Ripper seem to have a very large number of problems, I want to try an MP4 H264 1080p profile without 10bit, but there does not seem to be one available at all (that is why I want to know how the 10bit is turned on or off).

Originally posted by Mauser View Post
    I have a number of questions about the Preset Profiles that are available when setting up a rip task.

First, I do not and never will want to use any 3D profile, but there are a bunch of those that just clutter things up when I am looking for something I do want to use. Is there any way to remove those 3D profiles from the basic selections screen? Maybe give us a 2D filter so I never have to look at a 3D profile again.

My next question is specifically about the "10bit" profiles. What is this "10bit" or "12bit", and where is this "10bit" setting? When I select either the MP4.H265 or the MP4.H265.10bit profiles, I see absolutely nothing different when I look at the Advanced Settings for the task. But there obviously IS a difference; because, the "10bit" task takes 5 times as long to run using the same input.

To complicate matters even more, because the H265 tasks in DVD Ripper seem to have a very large number of problems, I want to try an MP4 H264 1080p profile without 10bit, but there does not seem to be one available at all (that is why I want to know how the 10bit is turned on or off).
    have you tried setting up your own profile ?? - https://www.dvdfab.cn/tips/ripper-save-myprofile.htm
    and see here for the 10-bit - https://www.dvdfab.cn/10-bit-conversion-profile.htm

Comment

You may use those profiles under the General tab. They are regular profiles, not h265 or 10bit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20230321-114232.png
Views:	134
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	423414

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I have made my own profiles, but I did not think of looking under the General tab and start from there. Following your suggestions, I can now see how I can use my own profiles and the Personal Favorites tab to solve both of my problems here. It will be much easier for me to only have to look at the very few profiles which I actually use instead of all the ones that are out there!

Comment

I have been doing a lot of testing for Rip tasks using both h264 and h265 profiles, and I have found a couple of very odd things.

For comparison:
          the (MP4.H265) profile has a default Video Quality of Standard, at a 1333 Kb/s Bit Rate. High Quality is set to 2666 Kb/s Bit Rate
          the (MP4) General profile (which uses h264) has a default Video Quality of Standard at a 2031 Kb/s Bit Rate. High Quality is set to 4061 Kb/s Bit Rate.

Note that the Bit Rates set for both Standard and High Quality for the h264 Codec are being set in the profile to almost twice the Bit Rate of the h265 profile. I understand that h264 and h265 are different compression methods, but why would he Bit Rate be set differently for the same Video Quality?

But here is the really strange thing:
          When I run a Rip task using the h265 profile, using either Software encoding or the hardware encoding for my AMD GPU, the output files of BOTH encoding types have a Bit rate consistent with the Bit Rate shown in the Advanced Settings for that profile.

HOWEVER, when I run a Rip task using the h264 profile, the results form the Software encoding and the AMD hardware encoding are totally different! If I use the Software encoding, the output file has a Bit Rate consistent with what is shown in the Advanced Settings, but if I use the AMD hardware encoding, the output file has a much lower Bit Rate, more consistent with what is shown in the h265 profile.

For example, I ran one rip task using profile (MP4) and High Quality, using Software encoding. The output file shows a Bit Rate of 4061 Kb/s. I then repeated the identical rip task, still using (MP4) and High Quality, but this time I used the AMD APP hardware encoding, and the output file shows a Bit Rate of 1901 Kb/s (totally different than what the Advanced Settings showed it was supposed to use).

This does not happen when I use the h265 profile. With it, the output Bit Rates for either Software or Hardware encoding are very similar.

Is there a bug here, or is this really what we should expect with the h264 codec?

Comment

Working...
          X