Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blu-ray to mobile: anyone getting good results?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray to mobile: anyone getting good results?

Hi All,

I have been experimenting with Blue-ray to Mobile with a number of BDs that I own. Frankly, I cannot create a video file that doesn't exhibit varying degrees of frame dropping.

I am wondering if this is just me or if others are having similar issues.

I've tried enabling/disabling CUDA (by far the best results are going software only, for both encode and decode), I've tried 1 pass/2 pass, different resolutions, etc. Of course, all of this is very time consuming

With software only, the video image is very sharp but the frame dropping is pretty distracting. Also, the frame drops do not appear to be consistent - the video playback will vary between being very smooth to choppy and then back again.

The result would be watchable on a portable device but not on a larger screen.

Anyway, keep up the great work folks.

What are you using to view the mobile files? For me, VLC has problems viewing HD files. It was jumpy. I used a commercial player and they played fine. How do you tell that a frame was dropped?

Comment

Basically, I am creating MP4 video files using the PS3 settings. When viewing with a variety of players (Quicktime on Windows or Mac, WMP 12 on Windows, Nero Showtime on Windows). The Windows PC is fast (i7 with GEForce video, et al.).

The playback results are similar. it could be pauses in playback, but the jumpiness looks like frames are missing, similar to the look you get when you encode 30fps content for 24fps.

But, yes, it could be a symptom of another cause or a problem on my end.

So, are you implying that you are not having any playback issues with Blu-ray to Mobile videos? Which presets are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

ChillyK:
        I experimented with this mode a little bit as well. So far, best result is with CoreAVC codec.
        Here's summary:
        Movie: Indiana Jones 4
        Mode: Blu-ray to Mobile (MKV with custom settings)

First run:
        General Settings:
        Decoder H.264 - CoreAVC
        PathPlayer - disabled

Conversion took about 3hr 50 min with average 12-13 fps
        Only one GPU were engaged (I have duoGPU nVIDIA GTX295 card) for about 20% load in average.

It's evident to me that DVDFab 7, at this point, works better with CoreAVC in all aspects. However, CoreAVC you have to buy. Oh well, we've gone so far already, another ten bucks....
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

OK, CoreAVC it is... downloading now. I'll let everyone know how this goes.

Comment

No difference, as far as I can tell. Again, with CUDA enabled there is a horrible amount of macro blocking.

One thing I noticed with the Quicktime playback, however, is that unlike WMP 12 it is *very* jittery (like the playback is jumping back and forth - sort of 5 frames forward and three frames back, very rapidly).

Well, I am going to shelve my Blu-Ray --> Apple TV project.

I'll try all this again with a future release; I don't own that many Blu-Ray discs so I will just go back to encoding my DVD collection.

Comment

ChillyK:
              Same here, with CUDA enabled and H.264 codec set as CUDA - result in terrible quality. You make sure that you have CUDA enabled and H.264 decoding codec set as CoreAVC
              You should have very good result!!!
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

This is a good thread as I have asked the same question: has anyone been able to get this feature to work properly?
                I have NOT been able to process a BR to Mobile (PS3) file that doesn't have either signficant A/V sync issues and/or juttery video.
                Nor, have I read anyone that has stated that they have. As such, I'm surprised that this is offered as a pay-for feature when it apparently is not working.
                I don't want to come across as too harsh or diminish the task at hand, but just want to make sure expectations are reasonably aligned. Seems like we're still in beta testing on this one.

AMD Phenom II X4 3.2Ghz | Radeon HD 4670 | Win7 Pro x64 | 8 GB | Synology DS211j 5TB | Wired GbE | 2x WDTV Live + |

Comment

I've not tested the PS3 profile but will be in a few, also trying CoreAVC. Will post results probably tomorrow.
                  I have tested the MKV profile and had great success.

Comment

I played back the created file and it seems like it's not playing at normal speed, slightly in slow motion and choppy.

Comment

That's it... what you are describing seems like a symptom of frame dropping. Looks sort of like slow motion, but the video keeps pace with the audio which sounds normal (for me, anyway - I am not having any audio sync issues).

You can really see it when the video shows someone walking, where their arms and legs are visible in the frame. For my test sample, it's the opening sequence in Babylon A.D. where Toorop is walking between the apartment buildings and tents along the side walk.

It's almost like instead of frames 1,2,3,4,5 you get 1,1,3,3,5.

I don't really know, but after spending a lot of time looking at the results that is how it appears to me.

Comment

It is a little disappointing that these 2 significant bugs (audio sync with DTS-HD and video judder on h264) still appear to exist in the released (non beta) product.

I have not tried 7.0.3.0 myself but from what others are saying they are still there.

The bugs have been reported by me and others since the earliest 7.x betas and leaves the BluRay to File functionality pretty broken.

Hopefully they will not continue from release to release too much longer.

The difficulty will occur if the free trial period finishes before they have been fixed - I do not want to buy this option until it is ok.

Will try myself tonight and confirm whether they are still there.
                        Last edited by justinhow; 03-30-2010, 12:32 PM.
                        Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, Intel i7-860, ATI HD 4550 Drivers Catalyst 11.3

Comment

hi,

I read all report about this problem, still have some not very clear, so I have some question about this ,

what is the main problem of bad result, a/v sync, bad encode quality or others ?

looks the problem main focus on the vc1 + dts-hd source ?

how about the h264 source or other audio stream, like ac3 or truehd ?

I want to make "Blu-ray to mobile" more better, so if have any problem or information, please tell me, thanks.

Comment

Hi Ting
                            I will do some more tests tonight on 7.0.3.0 and post exact details on this thread.
                            Justin
                            Windows 7 x64, 4GB RAM, Intel i7-860, ATI HD 4550 Drivers Catalyst 11.3

Comment

Originally posted by ting View Post
                              hi,

I read all report about this problem, still have some not very clear, so I have some question about this ,

what is the main problem of bad result, a/v sync, bad encode quality or others ?
                              Hard to describe, there's no A/V sync issues but playback is sort of choppy.

how about the h264 source or other audio stream, like ac3 or truehd ?
                              The title I tested is "The Patriot" UPC code 043396167186, it's format is MPEG-4 with AC-3/5.1.
                              Using the PS3.MP4.HD profile, fixed bitrate was 8000kbps and the audio bitrate was 160kbps 5.1 multichannel. Also used CoreAVC for the video decoder and Cuda for encoder.
                              Sorry for the late response...
                              Last edited by W&B; 04-02-2010, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X