This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray to MKV

Just tried a blu-ray to mkv and it didn't work/finish. The frame rate eventually went to 0, and the only thing happening now is the time elapsed counters are increasing. It shows step 1/5 with 0 time remaining.

One question. How would I go about streaming lossless blu-ray on the PS3 from my NAS running Twonky? Can I do a blu-ray to mkv, and then convert that to something else? Can I use mkv2vob, or will that not work or reduce quality?

Post moved to new thread to remove hijack.

DVDFab Blu-Ray to Mobile, MKV remux and then use mkv2vob would be the best quality. However, there are 2 problems. If your source video is VC-1 encoded then you will need to use the MKV H264 option in DVDFAB, the PS3 does not support VC-1 from a file (streamed or HDD), only from a Blu-Ray disc. If your source audio is HD or DTS then it is also not supported by the PS3 in a file. I don't know of an easy workaround for that issue.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What's the bet way to watch a lossless blu-ray ripped using dvdfab? Are there other devices that will do this?

Comment

Originally posted by sieroka View Post
        Thanks for the reply. What's the bet way to watch a lossless blu-ray ripped using dvdfab? Are there other devices that will do this?
        A Network Media Tank (NMT) device would probably play almost any Blu-Ray to Mobile MKV Remux file. I use one of the original Popcorn Hour (PCH) devices and it streams 1080p from the MKV without issue. I'm sure there are other players that will do the same now, but this is the one I have experience with.

My PS3 is great for upscaling DVD content but is very picky about the file types and codecs it will play.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
          Post moved to new thread to remove hijack.

DVDFab Blu-Ray to Mobile, MKV remux and then use mkv2vob would be the best quality. However, there are 2 problems. If your source video is VC-1 encoded then you will need to use the MKV H264 option in DVDFAB, the PS3 does not support VC-1 from a file (streamed or HDD), only from a Blu-Ray disc. If your source audio is HD or DTS then it is also not supported by the PS3 in a file. I don't know of an easy workaround for that issue.
          Sorry if this is a simple question or not on the right forum but I am trying to figure out streaming losses blu-ray to my PS3, which it seems like a lot of people are doing. Can you explain why the DVDfab MKV file needs to be remuxed before it is acceptable to mkv2vob? Why is one MKV file not the same as another?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDog View Post
            Sorry if this is a simple question or not on the right forum but I am trying to figure out streaming losses blu-ray to my PS3, which it seems like a lot of people are doing. Can you explain why the DVDfab MKV file needs to be remuxed before it is acceptable to mkv2vob? Why is one MKV file not the same as another?
            Blu-Ray to Mobile MKV Remux is a module in DVDFab that remuxes the BD streams into an MKV file without changing the content. The "remux" part is because you are going from BD to MKV. mkv2vob is a program designed to take an MKV file and make something playable on the PS3. It has been a while, but the PS3 didn't support MKV last time I checked.

Comment

Thanks, the reason I asked is that I MKV2Vob is giving me an unsupported codec error when I try to make it playable on the PS3, but this seems like a problem I am going to have to follow through with them about.

Comment

mkv2vob does not support the VC-1 codec so you cannot use MKV remux for video with VC-1.

If your source video is VC-1 encoded then you will need to use the MKV H264 option in DVDFAB, the PS3 does not support VC-1 from a file (streamed or HDD), only from a Blu-Ray disc. If your source audio is HD or DTS then it is also not supported by the PS3 in a file. I don't know of an easy workaround for that issue.

Comment

How do you do a losses blu-ray pass through that gives you an x264 mkv, which is all that is supported by MKV2VOB, there is no pass through option?

Comment

mkv2vob does not support the VC-1 codec so you cannot use MKV remux for video with VC-1.
                    How do I find out if it is VC-1 encoded?

Comment

How do I find out if it is VC-1 encoded?
                      When you are selecting the title in DVDFab it will display the format.

Comment

How do you do a losses blu-ray pass through that gives you an x264 mkv, which is all that is supported by MKV2VOB, there is no pass through option?
                        MKV Remux = passthrough

Comment

Thank you. You were correct the movie had VC-1 content. I guess I will have to find another work around for streaming full Blu-ray content to PS3.

Comment

Thank you. You were correct the movie had VC-1 content. I guess I will have to find another work around for streaming full Blu-ray content to PS3.
                            The only work around for the PS3 is to re-encode it to H264 or similar. You can thank Sony for that. BTW, there are many media playback devices available now that can play the VC-1 exported via DVDFab MKV Remux just fine.

Comment

I have been doing some research into a popcorn hour which seems like the easiest solution to all of this, if you got $ to spare. I was just trying to figure out how to do it without spending more. I got TVersity set up so it streams MKV Remuxs through the PS3 without much problem, though I haven't watched enough movies with it to see if it is going to cause any major problems with transcoding the MKV on the fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X