This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-Ray Crop Settings

I've just bought Blu-Ray-Mobile and am now trying to rip my first disc. However, I seem to be getting an odd problem regardless of encoding options / file type.

I set the options to crop out the black bars at the top and bottom as I've always done when ripping DVDs. This adjusts the output resolution to 1920x800, as you'd expect. Checking the output picture in the Crop settings displays what you'd expect - a frame with no black bars. However, I've discovered that when ripped, what's actually happened is the whole 1920x1080 picture has been squashed into a 1920x800 space - black bars included.

I hope that makes sense. I've only tried one Blu-Ray so far. I'll try another later today and see if the same thing happens and post back.
    Last edited by Complication; 04-01-2010, 02:24 PM. Reason: Made title more specific

...Yep - tried another. Same difference. Frame rate is fine, sound is fine, but the picture is squashed in the same way. (Movies in question are Quantum of Solace + Into the Blue)

Comment

Please don't hi-jack other peoples threads, I started a thread for you here. Your problem has nothing to do with the thread you posted in, thanks.

Comment

I am getting the same problems with the crop

Seems that the black borders are always present and the whole frame is just being squashed to fit what the frame should be without the black borders. THis seems to happen on any resolution I try.

Is there a way around this at all? or is the problem being looked into?

Fingers crossed :-)

Comment

Have done a few more tests:

Looks like the crop problem only exists when you want to select a size not in the original list. For example when you enter the Video Edit Settings.

I have tried this in both DVD to Mobile and Blu Ray to Mobile and get the same results:

Selecting a size from the original menu results in perfect encodings (mp4 or mkv for example) The files created have the correct aspect ratio and have the black bars cropped correctly.

However, if you select the Video Edit Settings and manually add a new size in the resize section (720x304 for example) and then under the crop either select Auto or even Custom and enter the crop settings you want. The end encoding has just resized the whole frame to the size you specified keeping the black bars.

Hope this gets fixed - or - Am I doing something wrong?

Many thanks. eon

Comment

I may well be wrong, but I'm guessing in your first test in which the movie is left to encode using the initial setting from the menu (eg 1920x1080 for a Blu-Ray) the black bars aren't cropped at all. They're just encoded along with the movie in the same way they are when the results end up squashed, but as the program isn't having to adjust the resolution in this case, the final result has the correct ratio when the black bars are included.

Comment

Actaully the original test (when selecting straight from the menu) the black bars have been removed.

I selected the size 1260x528 and the encoded video contains just the film, the upper and lower black bars have been correctly removed. It is only if I use the video edit settings and put in my own size that the bars are not correctly removed (even if the preview images shows them correctly removed)

Comment

I found If you muck about with the crop settings or even if you leave it you get no change.
                If you choose from original list I still cannot get the 1920x800 crop to work correctly.
                I always get black bars.
                I have found that if you change it twice before you start then you get 3/4 black bars top and bottom of the screen and a small 1/4 of the screen picture in the middle.

Obviously the DVDFab people are aware of this now but is a fix incoming please? this is what I am asking! is it on someones todo list?

Thanks for your hard work

Avatar UK decryption on its way? lol its ok u don't need to answer if you dont want to!
                Last edited by master333; 04-26-2010, 11:33 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                X