This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blu-ray to mobile Help

I'm wondering what is the best way to get 1080p digital files from a Blu-ray. I have a Ps3 and a xbox360. It seems like ps3 files will be smaller. Is mkv or avi playable on a ps3 or xbox360? Would love some guidance and suggestions. Thanks!

Originally posted by andy View Post
    I'm wondering what is the best way to get 1080p digital files from a Blu-ray. I have a Ps3 and a xbox360. It seems like ps3 files will be smaller. Is mkv or avi playable on a ps3 or xbox360? Would love some guidance and suggestions. Thanks!
    andy,
    if you want to rip Blu-ray and play it on your PS3, I would suggest to use Main Movie in "Blu-ray to Blu-ray" mode. If you set it for BD9 1080, you will have a very good quality main movie copy compressed to the size writable to DVD DL. You can than play it on your PS3 as regular BD. I think this is easiest and simplest way for you to get what you want.... if I understood you correctly
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks thats cool for a DVD version. I was looking for advice on the best 1080p digital file. Is ps3 better, or MKV? thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by andy View Post
        Thanks thats cool for a DVD version. I was looking for advice on the best 1080p digital file. Is ps3 better, or MKV? thanks!
        Well andy,
        I'm not sure what you meant by saying "Is ps3 better, or MKV?" PS3 and MKV like apples and oranges.
        Lets start from basics - MKV is a container (like avi, dvd, blu-ray, mp4. etc.). PS3 (PlayStation3) is a piece of hardware -gaming console/video player. Being Sony product it's capable playing Blu-ray. PS3 capable to play number of formats, including mp4, MPEG4/AVC, MPEG 1 and 2, WMV, AVI, etc. I'm not sure, I don't have PS3, but I think MKV isn't supported format in PS3.

A few words about MKV. IMO, MKV is the best container out there. MKV have very little overhead, yet, impressive capabilities (i.e. handling numerous tracks, chapters, subs, etc.). You don't have to be genius to work with this container, very easy to handle, and lot of user-friendly freeware to work with (i.e. MKVmerge, MakeMKV, etc.)

Again, IMO, MKV is the way to go. I hope it helps you.
        sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. By PS3 i meant the DVD fab ps3 files which I believe are MP4. I'm also considering a Western Digital player too - seems a little more versatile. Thanks again for all the help! Cheers!

Comment

Andy,
            in my experience, WDTV is a best bet. I have one, and I very much satisfied with it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
              Andy,
              in my experience, WDTV is a best bet. I have one, and I very much satisfied with it.
              The WDTV devices are a good bet for the money and easy to find, but if you want something that plays everything including menus then you might look at a Network Media Tank (NMT) type product. It also connects to everything including DNLA, SMB (Windows), and NFS. I have one of the original Popcorn Hour devices (PCH) and am looking forward to the release of the Popbox for added Netflix support.

Comment

Do they all play pretty much all formats? My PS3 and Sony TV are lacking, so am looking for a network media player to play .vobs and blu-rays from my NAS. Is the WDTV Live better than the popcorn one? What about the QNAP NMP1000?

Comment

Originally posted by sieroka View Post
                  Do they all play pretty much all formats? My PS3 and Sony TV are lacking, so am looking for a network media player to play .vobs and blu-rays from my NAS. Is the WDTV Live better than the popcorn one? What about the QNAP NMP1000?
                  Lets not start a fanboy flame war. What is "best" or "better" depends on what is important to you. You'll want to do some research on each device. Ripped Blu-Rays will be a mix of H264 and VC-1 video and many if not most have DTS audio. Your best bet is to read the forums of each device you are considering. They will invariably have somebody trying to play those types of files posting a question.

Comment

Making life simple to do your research when it comes to media players, check out:

Comment

Working...
                    X