Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Higher Resolutions via Profile Editing (or other options?) - Help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Higher Resolutions via Profile Editing (or other options?) - Help!

THE GOAL: To rip a 1280x720 resolution file from a DVD using the DVD to Mobile option. I plan to use the file to later upload to YouTube, which requires at least 1280x720 resolution to activate HD-playback. None of the DVD to Mobile output resolutions go any higher than around 848x385. I'm particularly interested in using the basic non-device specific options like AVI, MP4, WMV, etc. After poking around on the forum and the net for a while, I found this thread asked a similar question. One of the responses was to try editing the profiles.

Here is my very long-winded, detailed explanation of why I don't understand the profile editor:

So I download the profile editor (1.0.0.2 Beta), placed it into the DVD Fab 7 folder, and opened up the program. I first off noticed that only the device-specific options were listed and NOT the basic files (AVI, MP4, WMV).

I chose generic, then typed in "mine" and "add device." I entered my parameters (1280x720) and saved it. Got a confirmation:

However, when I went to the location of the edited profile, it was not there!

I opened DVDFab to see if it would magically appear under generic or avi profile drop-down menu options, and it didn't.

ETA: I also tried this suggestion:
    Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
    Copy them to the C:\Program Files\DVDFab7\Profiles directory and rename them as .xml instead of .txt

Then start fab and go Settings, Customise UI, DVD to Mobile, Add a new device and HTC should show up.

This adds to the left column, copy to the right column.

There is no tutorial but there is documentation in the readme subdirectory of profiles.
    But I do not see a "Add a new device" option:

So... what am I doing wrong? How do I get a higher resolution file rip of a DVD? I use a couple other DVD Ripping programs and it's easy to choose the resolution to rip at. Is DVD to Mobile just not set up to allow this?

A few other points:
    • When I first installed the profile editor, it kept trying to put it into "DVDFab6" folder and I only have DVDFab7. Is the editor compatible with version 7?
    • I also tried ripping my DVD to a VOB first and then using the file to mobile option, but the resolutions there were even lower than in the DVD to Mobile Option.
    • Other threads have suggested there is no point in ripping higher than the native resolution of a DVD (720x480 NTSC). I'm probably not understanding something, but if I rip at 720x480 and then play the file in a media player and expand it full-screen on my laptop, it looks slightly pixelated. If I rip at 1280x720 and above and expand it, it looks near-DVD quality. YouTube requires 1280x720 and higher resolution to activate the HD setting.

Specs:
    DVDFab 7.0.3.0 (26/03/2010)
    Windows 7 64-bit, AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile 2.20 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Last edited by Minai; 04-11-2010, 08:28 PM. Reason: Added ETA section

The Profile Editor is way out of date although a new version has been spoken about.

Most of us old hands use Notepad or a text editor and edit the profiles directly. There is documentation in the readme subdirectory of the profiles directory. Have a look also at the "New Profiles" section of this forum for examples.

On the resolution issue, 704 (NTSC) or 720 (PAL) is the usual composition width of DVD's.

When you are asking Fab to encode at a higher resolution, what it does is interpolates the missing pixels and most of us feel that this is unnecessary because either our hardware or software players does a better jobof upscaling.

In your case, this does not seem to be the case.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I've since my original post figured out how to edit the actual xml file by renaming to txt. I did this with the generic.avi.h264.mp3 profile by adding the following after "<video>" to match the profile2 avi profile:

<size list="1280x720,1920x1080,1440x1080"/>
      <encode codec="h264" fourcc="H264" bitrate_kbps="2000" maxbitrate_kbps="15000" >
      <mode value="real_time" list="real_time, high_quality" />

I then added "edit" after .mp3 in the file name. DVDFab now showed two "generic.avi.h264.mp3" profile options, neither of which had edit at the end, but both of which had the resolutions I specified as options (though slightly different to fit my video source).

However, when I did the rip, the program crashed after a few seconds every time. I saved the log file- not sure what would be pertinent.

I'm probably doing something completely idiotic- anyone have any advice? ETA: Thank you GregiBoy for your response- I'm new here and didn't see your response before I replied again. I will go have a look at the examples in that thread you mentioned. I had looked at the readme but will do so again to try to figure this out.
      Last edited by Minai; 04-11-2010, 09:36 PM.

Comment

You need to also change the profile name in the header of the XML file.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I don't think the program was written to handle that level of upscale. You may have to wait until the new Blu-Ray to Mobile engine is retrofitted for DVD to Mobile. Sorry, we do not have an ETA.

Comment

Working...
          X