This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Compress or not to compress

Hi folks, newbie here, although I have been using DVDFab for years - love it!

This maybe should be in another section, so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I've been using Fab just to backup my movies, but I'm now setting up a network and will be storing content on NAS unit and watching on HD TV.

Can someone (anyone please) tell me, apart from staight to video_ts (vob files), is there a way I can have some compression and not lose too much quality. I never worry about extras just main movie. I'm completely confused with all the different options and choices (e.g avi.h264, mkv.h264.audiocopy etc etc). I'd be more than happy with about 2-3g file, but seems every compression type I try I end up with small file and lots of quality loss.

Openning the Profile Edit menu - and then the Video Effect Settings, just confuses me more - or is it as simple as selecting one of them e.g. mkv.h264.audiocopy and then secifying a Fixed File size?

Have read lots in the other posts and the Best Practice, but still confused.

Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by clip; 04-15-2010, 12:07 PM.

I have similar interests as you and currently run a stand alone media player/portable HD which currently makes space a limitation. I like the ability to play my files on larger TV's and Projectors and those tend to make video compression/quality loss the most noticable.

If you're ok with 2-3gig files sizes I suggest you compromise and rip just the main into an ISO image at the file size you want. I currently rip them at the standard DVD5 (4300Mb) setting but this output size is customizable. Then the compression rate is only subject to the Original file size, leaving some at 100% or compressing down until it fits the file size you've set. I prefer ISO image files as you can easily keep multiple audio/subtitle tracks all in a nice neat "little" package that most media players can recognize. This might be something you've already considered but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I hope this helps.

I eventually hope to have a similar setup as yours running a Drobo NAS set up so I can keep a large collection with minimal file compression/quality loss.

Comment

@clip

A lot really depends on what you intend to use to play the files on the TV/Projector.

I have multiple HDD & network players connected to a range of TV's up to a 52" HD Samsung all being served from a NAS, so I am also into the same sort of stuff.

Please give us more information on that and we may be able to assist.
      Last edited by GregiBoy; 04-16-2010, 08:13 PM.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

thanks guys.

My setup is pretty simple and basic:

1Tb single NAS unit (sits next to computer in another room)
        WDTV Live box (cabled to NAS unit via a router, not using wireless)
        Loewe 94cm HD TV
        Stereo audio (don't use surround, not a fan of home theatre sound).

Prefered ripping properties are simple too, just the movie - don't need all the extras etc. and don't need 5.1/DTS audio either.

I will probably buy another WDTV box or similar to setup with other TV at some stage.

I haven't tried ISO setting, but that sounds sort of what I'm after. I don't like the vob as end up with 4 or 5 files, although they play consecutively, it's messy. Does the ISO end up with just one file? Even 4 gig file would be OK.

Thanks heaps for help too.

Comment

FYI: My good friend & fellow moderator, W&B, has been using the Samsung TV profile that I have posted in the "New Profiles" section of the forum and swears that it is great with his WDTV.

This gives a ~1.2Gb file while reatining the original 5.1 sound (make sure that you select the DD5.1)
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
          X