Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something to check into (a/v sync related)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Something to check into (a/v sync related)

Ok. Ripped DVD to HDD. Set that as source instead of disc to convert in "DVD to mobile".

Same thing. Everything gets progressively out of sync up until the end.

But you know what? I noticed something.

In DVDfab, the movie is shown as being 1:58:07 long, while the resulting .avi file is 1:57:45.

Using an application that analyses an AVI data, I found that the fps listed is : 23.976023976024, but the rate is listed at 24000. Scale is at 1001. I don't know what's going on, but when I mess with the settings, the application always adjust the fps and rate to be in sync (for 23.87, the rate is going to be 23970). But the original file from DVDfab don't have corresponding values. Could that be the problem?

Profile used : generic.avi.divx.audiocopy

I'll do more testing with various other settings.

Have you tried "Same as Source"?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Also, use XVid, not that DivX crap.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
        Have you tried "Same as Source"?
        Yeah. Gives me the same a/v sync issues. I'm currently doing a test at 24fps. Using 24fps, I get the same lenght as the original DVD rip lenght when I adjust it with "Frame Rate Adjust v1.0" (an application that gives you some data about avi files and let you play with some of them.

It's like DVDFab knows the movie proper lenght, but cannot guess the proper framerate to use. Or don't set the proper "Rate" value in the avi file. It's really weird.

Anyway, I'll let you know what comes out of my further testings.

Comment

I have tested the various available fps options in the wmv profiles and there was still the sysnc issue regardless of the selection. GB, I do not see "same as source" as an option in the xBox profiles? Am I missing something or is that only applicable for certain profiles.

Comment

Also, use XVid, not that DivX crap.
            Just did that. Result was a bit better, but still got about 2 seconds audio lag near the end of the movie.

Here I attached both log files generated by DVDfab. If this can help someone see what's wrong...

Also, for info, I'm running a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ with 2Gb of ram, with Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bits. My gfx card is a GeForce 9500GT.

I know, it's not the fastest thing around, pretty old according to PC standards, but hey, it's fast enough for me.

But I can't get to make DVDfab DVD to Mobile option work the way it should for a reason I do not know.

Still get a/v sync issues. All the time, whatever profile used.
            Attached Files

Comment

Realnoize
              I don't if this helps but your drive has a firmware update you will find it here http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_2...L_106.zip.html
              CBR929
              Even if it's a little thing, do something for those who have need of help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.

Setting Up ImgBurn and DVDFab to work together

Tips for Posting DVDFab Logs in the Forum

Comment

@realnoize...

Try ripping to your HDD first and use that rip as the source. Have a read of my Best Practice thread for the reasons.

Also, try turning off all GPU acceleration and set it to software only and try "Insomnia" again.

Please try it with the generic.avi.xvid audiocopy set at 1100 bitrate, 2 pass and let me know the results,

Comment

@realnoize...

Try ripping to your HDD first and use that rip as the source. Have a read of my Best Practice thread for the reasons.

Also, try turning off all GPU acceleration and set it to software only and try "Insomnia" again.

Please try it with the generic.avi.xvid audiocopy set at 1100 bitrate, 2 pass and let me know the results,
                  The last tests I did were all using the HDD rip as source.

I did a test with the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy, like you told, from the HDD source too, all GPU acceleration to off, fps set to "same as source", and the a/v sync issues were still there.

I started a new test with the samsung profile that someone posted before going to sleep last night. Will see the results tonight when I get back home. But my feeling is that it won't work any better than all others I tried (DivX, Xvid, wmv, h.264).

One thing I noticed is that everytime, the resulting file has a lenght different than the original rip. For instance, if the dvd rip is 1:55:05, the resulting file would always be less than that by a couple of seconds, varying between 5 and 10 seconds depending on profile used.

I updated my graphic card drivers yesterday to the latest version, will do more tests with it over the weekend. I don't know if I should do the fw update for my DVD drives, as even when using an HDD rip, the audio lag is still there. No difference.

I don't know, but, I think it would be interesting to compare the PC specs of people that have a working configuration, vs. the ones that have a/v sync problems. Maybe there's something that would come out of this? I mean, there surely is a common element between the PCs that experienced those problems...

Comment

I have idea? How about the developers look at why 6.2.2.0 works fine in Win7 but any ver 7 Fab does not? The difference is with the application. Something changed to negatively impact File to Mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by MRL_DVDFab View Post
                      I have idea? How about the developers look at why 6.2.2.0 works fine in Win7 but any ver 7 Fab does not? The difference is with the application. Something changed to negatively impact File to Mobile.

Tried 6.2.2.0 too. Still had a/v sync issues for me. So maybe there's something software related, but I think there's ALSO something hardware related. 6.2.2.0 was a little bit better, but still got about 2 to 3 seconds of audio lag near the end of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Realnoize View Post
                        Tried 6.2.2.0 too. Still had a/v sync issues for me. So maybe there's something software related, but I think there's ALSO something hardware related. 6.2.2.0 was a little bit better, but still got about 2 to 3 seconds of audio lag near the end of the movie.
                        What movie(s) did you test 6.2.2.0 with? I am curious because I have had the oddball movie have issues with any version of DVDFab. It doesn't work every time with every movie but 6.2.2.0 is very stabile for me.

Comment

Ok, here's the movies I tested today. All used a HDD rip as source. And I used the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile without modifying anything. (using DVDfab version 7.0.4.0)

Maelström (perfect, no a/v sync issue)
                          Insomnia (severe a/v sync issues, audio lag about 5 seconds behind near the end)
                          Top Secret (about 2 seconds audio lag near the end)
                          The Game (also about 2 seconds audio lag near the end)

so... 1 in 4. Far from stellar.

I'm currently installing Pinnacle Studio 14 right now. Will use that instead of DVDfab to convert my movies to other formats. At least, I'll use that until someone find a fix for DVDfab. As right now, aside from the DVD to DVD function that works marvels, the DVD to mobile function seems seriously broken from my perspective (and from the perspective of many others, it seems).

It's a bit sad, as I had good faith in the product, and bought it on the recommendations of close friends.

Will still use it to rip my DVDs to HDD though.

Will try newest versions when they come along. In hope that someday, these a/v sync issues will be a thing of the past.

Comment

Could you post some of the names for the DVDs and UPC# you have the audio sync issues with. Also the Mobile conversions and settings used that you got the sync issues with as well. I have a 1,000+ DVD collection and have never had this issue with any version of DVDFab. I would like to do some testing with a few of your problem DVDs and settings for mobile to see if I get the audio sync issue for them as well

Comment

AGJ,
                              I just ran across similar issue with The Blind Side (BD). I begin to lose a/v synchronization start about mid-movie. After two-day long "dances with drums" tracking and diagnostics all the way back to the initial rip, I figured that rip wasn't clean. I found four hiccups with audio continued uninterrupted, which created delay in video. First I thought to repair, and got tired quickly, and just went to the store and exchange the disc. Will try to rip tomorrow.

Originally posted by AGJ View Post
                              Could you post some of the names for the DVDs and UPC# you have the audio sync issues with. Also the Mobile conversions and settings used that you got the sync issues with as well. I have a 1,000+ DVD collection and have never had this issue with any version of DVDFab. I would like to do some testing with a few of your problem DVDs and settings for mobile to see if I get the audio sync issue for them as well
                              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
                              X