Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Best method to use for BD PS3?

What is the best method to use when converting BD? Right now I use BD to BD to copy the moive to my HD. Then I convert them to play on my PS3 using a media server. I love the passthrough option for DVD's and that works great. I dont mind the size of the file at all want to keep the quality at the max. All I want to do is take the org. BD file from my HD and make it playable on my PS3. What is the best method?

Maintaining the quality with DVDFab is rather difficult at the moment. The basic issue is that the PS3 purposely does not support VC-1 video and DTS/HD audio when played from a file (or streamed). About half the BDs I've seen have VC-1 and most of them have DTS or better.

If, however, your BD has an AC-3 audio track (which isn't the directors comments or something) then you are in luck. You can use DVDFab Blu-Ray to Mobile MKV option. If the video is H264 then use MKV remux for a full quality file. If it is VC-1 then use MKV.H264 and choose a high bitrate (>=10000). Once you have an MKV, you can use the free mkv2vob product to remux it into a file that the PS3 will accept.

Comment

Where do I find the free MKVtoVOB program.
      Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by LankyHank888 View Post
        Where do I find the free MKVtoVOB program.
        Thanks for the help!
        That would be mkv2vob. Google is your friend.

Comment

I would like to add that on bluray to mobile has produced mkv files (i used the passthrough option) that can play fine stream with ps3 media streamer. The idx/sub files will always be useful to keep around for the movies that may need forced subs. Also ps3 does not yet support .sub/pgs files over a stream yet. But can be done by a connected hd but the only problem is the fat32 formatting due to the size of bd rips and inability to play mkvs.

So in summary you can stream mkv made with bd to mobile. You cannot stream .sub/pgs. I hope this helps and save you many hours of your time.(lol yea i did all this not to long ago)

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
            I would like to add that on bluray to mobile has produced mkv files (i used the passthrough option) that can play fine stream with ps3 media streamer. The idx/sub files will always be useful to keep around for the movies that may need forced subs. Also ps3 does not yet support .sub/pgs files over a stream yet. But can be done by a connected hd but the only problem is the fat32 formatting due to the size of bd rips and inability to play mkvs.

So in summary you can stream mkv made with bd to mobile. You cannot stream .sub/pgs. I hope this helps and save you many hours of your time.(lol yea i did all this not to long ago)

Cheers!
            I'm guessing this is due to what Complication mentioned.. I just tried to do a Blu-Ray to Mobile - to MKV with remux (passthrough). I was able to see it find on the PS3 media server, but got "The data type is not supported.". I of course tried this prior to reading this thread and selected the DTS audio track..

Without the use of mkv2vob - I assume this still isn't possible?

Comment

The idx/sub files will always be useful to keep around for the movies that may need forced subs. Also ps3 does not yet support .sub/pgs files over a stream yet. But can be done by a connected hd but the only problem is the fat32 formatting due to the size of bd rips and inability to play mkvs.
              Selectable subtitles are supported by the PS3 in a streamed file when they are in a DIVX container. Use DVDFab to create an AVI with XVID video and export the idx/sub. Then use AVIAddXSubs (google it) to remux into a DIVX container. I have not tried this with BD content yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
                Selectable subtitles are supported by the PS3 in a streamed file when they are in a DIVX container. Use DVDFab to create an AVI with XVID video and export the idx/sub. Then use AVIAddXSubs (google it) to remux into a DIVX container. I have not tried this with BD content yet.
                Ty Complication. Im going to give it a shot. I will post back with results it just stinks that the container has to be avi. I read up alot on the hi def subs.
                Most of the threads resulted in downgrading the subs. to srt. with typos unless you go through and edit them all. So this method im going to try out with bd. I knew about the divx container but such a painful process just to get subs.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Kannkor View Post
                  I'm guessing this is due to what Complication mentioned.. I just tried to do a Blu-Ray to Mobile - to MKV with remux (passthrough). I was able to see it find on the PS3 media server, but got "The data type is not supported.". I of course tried this prior to reading this thread and selected the DTS audio track..

Without the use of mkv2vob - I assume this still isn't possible?

Now did you see a transcode folder above the mkv file. Native ps3 cannot play mkv. I presume you click the very first file you seen. In the the transcode folder that is above you mkv. Will give you 3 different programs on your pc end that will transcode this for you. Now even though it looks like you have 3 more files its just the programs. Mcoder always works for me. Also on the pc end make sure you have all recommended installed programs that will work via media server.

Try that out it should work.

Comment

Now did you see a transcode folder above the mkv file. Native ps3 cannot play mkv. I presume you click the very first file you seen. In the the transcode folder that is above you mkv. Will give you 3 different programs on your pc end that will transcode this for you. Now even though it looks like you have 3 more files its just the programs. Mcoder always works for me. Also on the pc end make sure you have all recommended installed programs that will work via media server.

Try that out it should work.
                    Ohhh.. Okay I clearly missed a step then.. I did indeed try to simply click on the MKV.

What do you mean make sure I have all the recommended installed programs? I currently only have PS3MS installed.

Comment

Ty Complication. Im going to give it a shot. I will post back with results it just stinks that the container has to be avi. I read up alot on the hi def subs.
                      Most of the threads resulted in downgrading the subs. to srt. with typos unless you go through and edit them all. So this method im going to try out with bd. I knew about the divx container but such a painful process just to get subs.

Cheers!
                      Alright I can confirm that it works. The main problem is that it has to be down converted to an .srt file. Which that does not look good on a hi def video. I also can confirm typos due to conversion. So a manual edit will be needed. It is not as bad as other methods as far as the typos. I was hoping for more due to the time involved and results giving.

I can say bluray to avi is time consuming. Just about the same time involved as the methods I have been currently using. I still prefer for streaming is the bluray to bluray main movie to bd9.(The bd9 lowers the bitrates and does a great job at preserving quality. The size and bitrate also makes it very easy to stream with no shuttering) I take the bd9 and run the blu to mkv passthrough. It works fine for me except for the subs. I will keep looking for a solution and retrying updates of all said programs said thus far dealing with bd and subs streamed to ps3.

One last thing I could suggest is if you dont care about the srt on your blu ray rips. The is a couple of active website that have alot of srt's available all ready edited. Which you could remux mkv,avi ect. to have the srt. I have not tried this method yet but will try to do it tonight.

Cheers!
                      Last edited by directeeccks; 04-28-2010, 12:31 AM. Reason: fixing post

Comment

Originally posted by Kannkor View Post
                        Ohhh.. Okay I clearly missed a step then.. I did indeed try to simply click on the MKV.

What do you mean make sure I have all the recommended installed programs? I currently only have PS3MS installed.
                        Okay it should have at least mplayer with it. But avisynth, mencoder, tsmuxer ,ffmpeg are some modules i use when streaming. You dont have to adjust any setting in any of these withing ps3media server. If you have them with it you should have a transcode folder next to your mkv. Within that transcode will show Mecoder with a thumbnail a long with avisynth and so on.
                        Mecoder works evertime for me.

Try it out and get back to me.

Cheers!

Comment

One last thing I could suggest is if you dont care about the srt on your blu ray rips. The is a couple of active website that have alot of srt's available all ready edited. Which you could remux mkv,avi ect. to have the srt. I have not tried this method yet but will try to do it tonight.

Cheers!
                          I can confirm that an external srt.(just google srt. files)work with my method of mkv. produced from dvd fab and streaming Ps3 media server. It will not work with m2ts files. It has to be mkv or avi. Tips for finding the right srt. make sure its from like a dvd rip so timing will be good. You have to use mecoder to play with the .srt files to work.(which you will find under transcode folder above your mkv file) Make sure your .srt file is in the same folder with the same title as mkv. Example that i use Startrek.mkv and Startrek.srt. Here is a setup guide http://www.davieslim.com/ps3/guide-t...-media-server/
                          Very simple faster way to have subs streaming to ps3. I read that they are working on .sub files on hd content but we are just going to have to wait.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                          X