Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie require non techy help to get BD-Mobile file to play on PS3!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Newbie require non techy help to get BD-Mobile file to play on PS3!

I need to rip a BD film to a single file on a network hard drive
    I then want to use my PS3 to play that file.

I want to maintain as much quality as possible on video and audio -
    I have a 2TB HDD so space not an issue

Because I want my kids/wife to operate the PS3, I don't expect them to be able to navigate VOBs/ORGs/IFOs (whatever any of those are!)
    I know nothing of h264s or MP whatevers or much else for that matter!

I want a simple, straightforward, repeatable process, to allow me to, pain free and techy free, move my BD collection to a HD/Media Server

Please help!

Many thanks

ps - I'm in my 40's so I like being called a Junior member!
    Last edited by mcawsey; 04-23-2010, 01:55 PM.

Mcawsey,
    I have a step by step process for you that I use to stream to ps3. First make sure you have PS3 media server installed(you can find here http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/) Try it out and make sure that both your ps3 and pc can communicate. Not going to go into details you can find more info on their forums and such about any issue that may happen. But the process below works.

1. Bluray to Bluray/mainmovie:First you need to back up media onto your 2tb hdd with the hd audio removed and try to keep only the main track. You can also keep subs if you desire.(note though you cannot stream subs to ps3 yet so you can call it future proofing)

(Optional but may be required due to your network setup) If you have your ps3 wired strait to router and the same for pc you should not have streaming problems like shuttering due to the amount of information being passed over wireless. But you still may have some issues. I say skip to step 4 first time around to test your hardware to see if its capable of loss less steam. If its capable of the high bitrates of loss less congrats you steamed your first file.
    Okay now that info is out of the way on to step 2.

2. Bluray to Bluray/mainmovie: Take the rip you have just made and load it into FAB. Under mainmovie change the size to BD9. Then convert it to the BD9. This process takes some time. But when finished you have a compressed copy of your backup. Most people including myself don't see any difference between the two. (note i do this method cause for me its simpler/faster then taking the back up and letting the bluray to mobile to compress let only trying to configuring the compression settings etc. etc.)

3.Blu ray to mobile: Take your compressed file and load it into Blu ray to mobile under MKV. You now see your movie loaded dont click start quite yet. Now in this menu the very bottom drop down box put it on mkv.remux setting. Select your folder destination and click start this process shouldnt take too long. Now your left with a Single media file more then capable of steaming unless you keep subs for umm future proofing. subs with be put in the same folder in a idx and sub file. Do with them what you may like i just leave them there.

4. Go into your folder and under bdmv you should find the steam folder with the .m2ts file in it. Just rename it the title of the movie leaving the .m2ts file on the end. Move it out of all of those folders on (your drive letter is F for this example) F:_x_.m2ts. With your ps3 and streamer fired up. Find your server on the ps3 find your drive and your back up should be right there. The streamer when you select will give you options to which to decode you should have 3 if one fails try the next. one of them should work all the time with the same process applied.

Now after all of that you can delete all unneeded files. I know thats kinda alot to take in. Believe me once you do the process once its easy. It took me forever my first time through cause i didnt have a guide. Made all kinds of different copies with different containers so on and so on. I just like to be a specific and informational. Well I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
      2. Bluray to Bluray/mainmovie: Take the rip you have just made and load it into FAB. Under mainmovie change the size to BD9. Then convert it to the BD9. This process takes some time. But when finished you have a compressed copy of your backup.
      This does not equal his request to "maintain as much quality as possible".

Also, your process will not work for a title that has VC-1 video and/or the M2TS files split into multiple files.

DVDFab Blu-Ray to Mobile is the simplest way and most consistent way to generate a playable file for the PS3. There will be some quality loss but the higher the bitrate you use the less noticeable it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post
        This does not equal his request to "maintain as much quality as possible".

Also, your process will not work for a title that has VC-1 video and/or the M2TS files split into multiple files.

DVDFab Blu-Ray to Mobile is the simplest way and most consistent way to generate a playable file for the PS3. There will be some quality loss but the higher the bitrate you use the less noticeable it will be.
        You are right Complication. The only problem is BR2Mob isn't working right sometimes, and we all know developers are working on it..., but as long as mcawsey aware of it and wouldn't freak out if something going far from smooth... it should work. Just check for new updates and betas more often. BTW, VC-1 would still be a pain, because VC-1 is a pain in a first place.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
          You are right Complication. The only problem is BR2Mob isn't working right sometimes, and we all know developers are working on it..., but as long as mcawsey aware of it and wouldn't freak out if something going far from smooth... it should work. Just check for new updates and betas more often. BTW, VC-1 would still be a pain, because VC-1 is a pain in a first place.
          Based on the reports, the intermittent problem probably has to do with certain hardware.

MKV.H264 in BD to Mobile will convert the VC-1 and make it playable on the PS3. I believe that mkv2vob is also able to convert the DTS to AC3 which fixes that problem.

Comment

Opps
            I forgot about the VC1 and the multiple m2ts. As far as his request for as much quality as possible bd9 should for sure be able to stream on most networks and unless he is versed in bit rates on encodes it may prove difficult for every movie he puts in. I will edit my post to better suit his need to help insure any issue like multiple m2ts files and vc1. As far as vc1 goes I have not had any issues steaming but i always run the mkv pass through on blu ray to mobile.

Complication I have a question as well. On pass through on vc1 files to strait mkv I no issues at all streaming wouldnt a pass though take care of the handling of the file?

Cheers!

P.S. After my edit if there is still a problem please let me know
            Last edited by directeeccks; 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM. Reason: forgot to ask somthing

Comment

Mcawsey,

Just to clarify Complication is right that you will have back ups that may prove to be an issue. I will try to make a less lengthy step by step. Now you have a idea of the process it wont be as detailed.

SO my first do not do step 4 because it may not work. Try this method out first

1.Make a main movie back up at full quality.(reason you dont go strait to blu to mobile is to save on wear and tear on your drive)

2.Take that rip and run it into bluray to mobile mkv setting and you can choose to have it compress it or just a pass through. Of course pass through is best quality. This step should take care of any vc1 and multi M2TS files which may prove an issue.

Anyway that should clear up any issues with my first post.

Comment

directeeccks,
                I might be missing something here, but Mcawsey was talking something about his wife/kids operating PS3. I don't have PS3, but I was under impression that PS3 unable to handle MKVs, yet you proposing pack everything into MKV container???

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
                Mcawsey,

Just to clarify Complication is right that you will have back ups that may prove to be an issue. I will try to make a less lengthy step by step. Now you have a idea of the process it wont be as detailed.

SO my first do not do step 4 because it may not work. Try this method out first

1.Make a main movie back up at full quality.(reason you dont go strait to blu to mobile is to save on wear and tear on your drive)

2.Take that rip and run it into bluray to mobile mkv setting and you can choose to have it compress it or just a pass through. Of course pass through is best quality. This step should take care of any vc1 and multi M2TS files which may prove an issue.

Anyway that should clear up any issues with my first post.
                sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

directeeccks,
                  I might be missing something here, but Mcawsey was talking something about his wife/kids operating PS3. I don't have PS3, but I was under impression that PS3 unable to handle MKVs, yet you proposing pack everything into MKV container???
                  You use mkv2vob afterward to remux into a compatible file. I believe it will also redo the audio from DTS to AC3 which DVDFab cannot currently do.

Comment

[QUOTE=mcawsey;32866]I need to rip a BD film to a single file on a network hard drive
                    I then want to use my PS3 to play that file.

Yes the ps3 cannot play mkv. I am under the impression that he is wanting to use this through network streaming. I feel steaming is the best way for hi def files of any sort. This is due to the ps3 file system which is fat. You cannot simply plug in a 2tdd hard drive and play files without a mess of steps and more then one file to keep original quality. The video file cannot be more then 4 gigs and the hdd has to be fat formatted. Believe me i wish this would work cause I am a big fan of subs. The ps3 doesnt support subs streamed over a network at this time. Well not .sub files just srt. That is a painful process as well.

The benefits to streaming out weighs a direct connect. Like both your computer and your ps3 has access to the files at the same time. No pluging and repluging in your hdd. The computer handle the transcode vs the ps3 and its limitation like with a mkv. The mkv container can also be used for WDTV gen 2, streamed to an xbox, streamed to ps3, streamed to wdtv live, and some tv capable of accessing network storage device like some of the new samsungs. Which I have all of these. The mkv is the most friendly format for streaming because the current streaming programs seem to handle them very well.

Last but not least when streaming to the ps3 a icon will show up in the main menu. All you have to do is click on it and you have access to all the files/hdd you allow permission through the streaming program. My girlfriend is not tech savy at all but she can easily use this and find the backups with ease. This is why I decided to provide info on this matter. He as well as his family wants ease of use via the ps3. That is why i went into great detail on rather to compress to bd9 cause network/hardware limitation he may have due to the amount of bitrate.

Well I hope this clears things up. I am happy that people are reading and responding to my post. I hope to get as much accurate info as possible. I am going to make a more clear concise guide to using DVDFAB for proposes to be able to access there media through a number of devices. I am open to suggestions.

Cheers!

P.S. You can stream the DTS audio to ps3 but not the hd audio. So no need to downgrade the audio anymore to AC3. Like I said the computer handles the container for the real time transcoding and its not really taxing on the cpu/graphics card.
                    Last edited by directeeccks; 04-26-2010, 11:33 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Comment

My goodness directeeccks. You proposing the whole nine yards with network, network storage, streaming and streaming software to a person who asked for simplicity for his unsophisticated family members?????
                      sigpic

Comment

I would like to make a general comment here.

I have been encoding and streaming for over 8 years with various devices and would like to make these general comments:-

I also like the centrally stored and accessed by all concept (I personally use Twonky as I regard it as best of breed) as long as you recognise the limitations.

Forget wireless as the bandwidth limitations will at some stage bite you on the arse.

I dislike the UPNP server transcoding any content as you are reliant on the transcode parameters being correct and quick and this again will eventually bite you on the arse.

I would rather use display devices that are purpose built to play standard files natively rather than game consoles that have video playback as an added extra.

I dislike devices that have limitations playing what I regard as STANDARD files

These devices must be capable of outputting 5.1 sound to a variety of A/V amps as I am not goingto change expensive A/V equipment whenever a new audio standard arises.

By standard files, I would have said 2 years ago XVID AVI with AC3/5.1 surround sound but with the new generation of devices, I regard MKV/H264/AC3/5.1 as a MINIMUM requirement.

These devices are generally inexpensive (<$100) and just make things so much easier to standardise.

Here's an example of a slightly up market version that I have read good reviews about.

Hope this helps.
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@IP
                          I thought that he asked for simplicity in PLAYING and this does provide ease and versatility but does require effort and gaining knowledge to set it all up.

Foe example, I have a setup as least as complex but my girlfriend does not even hesitate to use it as it is so simple from the user interface perspective.

GB

My goodness directeeccks. You proposing the whole nine yards with network, network storage, streaming and streaming software to a person who asked for simplicity for his unsophisticated family members?????
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

LOL I know it seems like alot. I just notice that he said networked hdd. Which put me under the impression that he wanted to access via network. Like i said if he were to put it on a hard drive plug it into the ps3 he would have even a bigger mess of problems as far a simplicity. The ps3 fat format requirement is the cause for it. If he has a fat formatted drive he cannot back up a blu ray on it due to 4 gig limit. Which is just one problem of direct connect via usb to ps3. The second problem there is no way to have almost a pure lossless rip in under 4 gigs. So that takes away from his request for one single file via usb connect to ps3. That plus the networked drive comment he stated, streaming is the only way that he can have both the ps3 and loss less backups working together under his requirement.

okay i hope that may clear anymore up.

Comment

Thank you GregiBoy for feeling my pain with the whole Girlfriend thing LOL. Just like Gregiboy my GF needs it to be simple and really this is about the only way to do this as far as the ps3 and will be alot less painful for him in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X