This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper DVD to AVI/MOBILE high quality

Hi all, just started using DVDFab and first time posting.

I've read some great how to in this forum and have followed their advice (like GregiBoys how to). but I'm still having issues when trying to rip a DVD to AVI in the quality area. I've seen some EXCELLENT avi's of movies that were only 1gigsh in size! That's what I'm trying to achieve.

In the past I've always ripped my DVD's using DVDshrink to an ISO but space is now becoming an issue.

I don't mind taking the time to encode my movies if i can get them into an avi container with the same quality and 1/3 to 1/4 the size .

I'm using DVDFab 7
    AVI H264 Audio copy
    Encoding 1 pass
    Fixed bitrate either at 1100 or 1500 for fast action dvd's.
    Framerate same has source

As per gregi, I always rip the DVD to HDD first. The HDD to AVI.

I have my computer hooked to my 50" plasma which is 720p which I'll be watching these movies on. (DVD's played through the computer look great).

I have noticeable difference in color tone, the picture looks fuzzier to me and very noticeable jagged edges around dark, light objects. Much like anti-aliasing computer games (tried converting my series of the carton avatar last air bender and it looks like crap with the aliasing.).

I've tried a number of different combo's when ripping and they all have the same effect.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Have you tried the "deinterlace" option?

I use a similar h264 profile (but I always do 2 pass) as yours to my 52" 1080P Samsung TV and all looks great played through a variety of players.

Could also be your video card.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

i have tried deinterlace (it's pre checked for the avatar series, other movies it's not) but still same result. I'm running a geforce 9800 GT and haven't had any issues with it.

Should i roll with the resolution DVDFab auto picks or choose my own? I read from one of your post for NTSC to go with 604 (i believe) so dvdfab doesn't have to make any conversions.

Comment

For NTSC, it is usually around 704 x XXX pixels resolution.

I have developed a H264 profile for display on my Samsung which is in the 'New Profiles" section of this forum.

Give that a try.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

This thread has lots of valuable information on that...

Comment

baaron13,
            In addition to what GregiBoy said, I wan to emphasize his point and tell you that when you go for such a significant compression 2-pass process is a must.
            sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
            For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
            Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thanks for the help/info everyone. I've tried converting 2 of my movies and the quality has increased significantly. I wish you could delete some forum topics here, lol I read in other posting that 2 pas was only need for fast action stop vids, but that 2-pass did seem to do the trick. I'll try a few more and post back my result.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by baaron13 View Post
                I read in other posting that 2 pas was only need for fast action stop vids, but that 2-pass did seem to do the trick. I'll try a few more and post back my result.

Thanks again.
                It's not true. 2-pass is always good for high quality, because during first pass software "sniffing" the content, identifying "problem areas" and writing a script with a "game plan" how to fix it. And during second pass, software just running the script and processing video with fixes where needed. For HD video, for large screen, 2-pass is a must.
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by baaron13 View Post
                  Hi all, just started using DVDFab and first time posting.

I've read some great how to in this forum and have followed their advice (like GregiBoys how to). but I'm still having issues when trying to rip a DVD to AVI in the quality area. I've seen some EXCELLENT avi's of movies that were only 1gigsh in size! That's what I'm trying to achieve.

In the past I've always ripped my DVD's using DVDshrink to an ISO but space is now becoming an issue.

I don't mind taking the time to encode my movies if i can get them into an avi container with the same quality and 1/3 to 1/4 the size .

I'm using DVDFab 7
                  AVI H264 Audio copy
                  Encoding 1 pass
                  Fixed bitrate either at 1100 or 1500 for fast action dvd's.
                  Framerate same has source

As per gregi, I always rip the DVD to HDD first. The HDD to AVI.

I have my computer hooked to my 50" plasma which is 720p which I'll be watching these movies on. (DVD's played through the computer look great).

I have noticeable difference in color tone, the picture looks fuzzier to me and very noticeable jagged edges around dark, light objects. Much like anti-aliasing computer games (tried converting my series of the carton avatar last air bender and it looks like crap with the aliasing.).

I've tried a number of different combo's when ripping and they all have the same effect.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.
                  File size will vary from movie-to-movie. It all depends on what elements from the previous frame can be "re-used" in the next frames. I've had some movies come out at 700k, while others are 2-3 GB in size. I'm using the "generic.avi.xbox.bigscreen1" profile available for download here with great results...

Comment

Working...
                  X