This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper iPad conversions.

I have been a 2 year owner of DVD Fab products. Always very happy with the DVD-DVD features.

However, I have had difficulty finding good tips on converting mobile to Bigger format of Apple iPad.

I recently burned my new 'Avatar' DVD and I noticed that the picture looked a little 'pixelated' on the new iPad large screen. I went back and revisited 'Phantom Menace' and 'Pirates of the Caribean'. They also too looked a little fuzzy.

Question: My DVD FAb conversion of 'Avatar' is MPEG-4/ 1.06 GB file. Apple iTunes store version is 2.34 GB.

Should I be using some other profile for higher quality picture on my larger mobile screen?

Does anyone know what 'format' Apple iTunes is using. Should I be using DVDfab AppleTV or MP4 instead?

Thanks!

Ace Ion

The reason for you pixelated copy is due to the resolution for the profile. The ipod/iphone has a resolution limitation. The ipad should be able to take a mp4 profile at its native 720/480 resolution. Now keep in mind that the ipad resolution is higher then standard def. This could result in a picture that may not look as clear as you intended. Example is like watching a dvd on a high def tv.(doesnt look as good) I would just due some test on with a short 15 min clip with a couple action parts at least in it. This will help you figure out what your bitrate setting you prefer. Once you figure that out you should be good. I hope this helps

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks Direct.! I hope for some more responses soon from the rest of the gang.

So is it true i should be able to make a picture as nice as Apples iTunes Version? After all, I payed 20 bucks for 'Avatar' at Beast Buy and would hate to give Mr. Jobs ( I do admire his gadgets! ) another 15 bucks for a nice looking iPad version of the same movie..

Comment

I not quite sure on "a picture as nice as the itunes version" This is due to the fact that the Ipad has 720p capability. So the apple version will most likely be 720. Which your version is dvd as far as my understanding. So the best possible picture you can have is 480p. On the bright side the ipad screen is not that big so the difference may not be worth an extra 15 dollars let only all the drm stuff that comes along itunes purchases. I would say try it out again. If you decide the picture is not good a nuf for you. I would suggest saving that 15 dollars towards going blu ray with your media. If the ipad and the higher def movies is your thing it is the way to go. It will keep steve jobs from taking you money and be an investment towards the future of you media.

Cheers!

Comment

A second Test

Thanks for you help, I hope for more feedback too...

I just got done with second test with iPad conversion.

Yes, the Apple TV conversion did give me a bigger 1.9 GB file for 'Avatar'

And the picture is clearer on my lil 10 inch screen.

Just still curious about iTunes 2.5 GB file. So the secret to higher resolution is just by adjusting the bit rate?

Thanks.

Comment

No....

You are getting two things confused here....

Resolution = Size of image (eg: 720 x 304)
            BitRate = The data transfer rate (Higher = less blockiness)
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
              No....

You are getting two things confused here....

Resolution = Size of image (eg: 720 x 304)
              BitRate = The data transfer rate (Higher = less blockiness)
              Yep, this is the case where is more is better. More of both resolution and bitrate = crystal clear HD picture.
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

@IP

Disagree on resolution.

No point going larger that the target device or larger than the original resolution whichever is smaller..
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
                  @IP

Disagree on resolution.

No point going larger that the target device or larger than the original resolution whichever is smaller..
                  Yep, yep, yep. Taking my words back. Resolution is circumstantial.... Sorry, sorry, please, please... and sugar on a top
                  sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Also, no sense going a higher bitrate than the device can handle !!!

Comment

Ace Ion

Use the AppleTV default settings for the output, but increase only the bit rate to about 2000, and leave everything else the same. I think you will be berry happy with the image.

I believe the iPad bit rate limit is 2.5mbps in mp4.
                      Last edited by Ozzie; 04-27-2010, 05:09 AM.

Comment

@GregiBoy
                        Yea, Please kill me slow...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Ion View Post
                          Thanks for you help, I hope for more feedback too...

I just got done with second test with iPad conversion.

Yes, the Apple TV conversion did give me a bigger 1.9 GB file for 'Avatar'

And the picture is clearer on my lil 10 inch screen.

Just still curious about iTunes 2.5 GB file. So the secret to higher resolution is just by adjusting the bit rate?

Thanks.
                          Gregiboy is right higher bitrate doesnt mean higher res. The itunes 2.5 gb file was professionally compressed. You should not compare your rips with something like itunes,xbox, and ps3. They have tech that surpasses most of us here. Which will mislead you. With a dvd you have just standard def available to you. Now if you had the blu ray and dvdfab blu to mobile you would be singing a different tune. Like I said save your money. At 15 dollars a pop seems a little crazy for a digital drm filled movie. I upgraded my system with a blu ray burner and dvd fab 2 year for less then 250 U.S. dollars. Thats like 16 to 17 of the 15 dollar Itunes movies. So with that i can do alot more with my backups. Its just some advice I give to you to help you in the long run save money. Anyway hopes this helps clear up some confusion.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks Everyone for your help. I did get nicer resolution going with Apple TV setting and 1500 bits. I tried to crank it up even higher and didn't notice difference on iPad. So it it makes sense to save hard drive and only go so far.

OFF TOPIC (Now if I can just fix the A/V sync issue I have with a half dozen films. I only have problems with CGI animations films like 'Bolt' , 'Rattatoile' , 'Meet the Robinsons'. But off to another Forum for this!)

Comment

Ace Ion
                              The apple set up does seem to work best, the higher bit rates for me improve the black level and stops the blockiness you night see sometimes.

Th A/V sync is something that has been on going here for a while, the causes do seem to be different depending on the movie and what it's being converted to. If you do a search for A/V sync you will find lots of reading material but little in real solutions. I know Ting along with some other folks here have been working on it, but what I have also found is that some people are more sensitive to seeing this A/V sync than others. I really wish I had more time to figure it out myself or hope one day a solution will come thru.

Comment

Working...
                              X