X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Bluray > Apple TV

Greetings all!

For the last 2 months I have been using MakeMKV for my Bluray rips for my Apple TV then I use Handbrake with the Apple TV Preset, this has worked perfectly until Sherlock Holmes. Keep in mind I have converted over 45 Blu-Ray's and 370 regular DVD's doing this, so I've got a good idea of what I'm doing...

This lead me to read other users also had issues with Handbrake crashing when converting the MKV file regardless of what audio track, or subtitles were used and said they were able to rip it with DVDFab.

I installed the latest beta and last night I used the Blu-Ray to Mobile (MP4) It seemed to setup the correct resolution and everything on its own. DVDFab did a great job, it opened up the DVD and ripped it, I was happy and also glad that I found something I could rip straight to MP4 rather than using Handbrake to convert from MKV.

I loaded it into Itunes and played it from Itunes and noticed that the quality is HORRIBLE. Which is odd to me because the file is 3.2GB.

This morning I used the Blu-Ray to Mobile (MKV) option and it ripped it to my hard drive and I used Handbrake to convert it with the Apple Preset, it also crashes at 46%

So I decided to go back to trying to get the Blu-Ray to Mobile (MP4) to work, I went into the settings and told it to do a second pass, however anytime I enable this and start the rip it runs for about 0.5% and then goes to 0 FPS and stays that way. If I don't enable the second pass , it doesn't have this problem.

I am running

Win7 x64
    Intel 980
    16GB of Ram
    3x eVGA Hydro 295's in SLI

I'm at a loss.

I just wanna convert the damn Blu-Ray.

Is there a setting that's needed to make the non second pass MP4 rip look better? I'm at a loss how it looks so crappy and is 3.2GB....

Program Version: DVDFab 7.0.4.0 (15/04/2010)

DVDFab 7.0.4.0 (2010/04/29 08:33:50)

0m 02.73s: option dvd2dvd 1 dvd2mobile 1 bluray2bluray 1 file2mobile 1 filemover 1
    0m 05.15s: detected blu-ray
    0m 05.25s: drive E
    0m 05.25s: volume label SHERLOCK HOLMES
    0m 08.96s: detected dvd
    0m 09.03s: drive F
    0m 09.03s: video dvd 1
    0m 09.03s: volume label TOM_AND_JERRY_THE_MOVIE
    0m 09.06s: detected blu-ray
    0m 09.06s: drive E
    0m 09.06s: volume label SHERLOCK HOLMES
    0m 10.06s: detected dvd
    0m 10.11s: drive F
    0m 10.11s: video dvd 1
    0m 10.11s: volume label TOM_AND_JERRY_THE_MOVIE
    0m 11.15s: root 02A219F4 SHERLOCK HOLMES:SHERLOCK HOLMES:SHERLOCK HOLMES:SHERLOCK HOLMES
    0m 11.92s: aacs 1 bd+ 0
    0m 13.64s: got discinfo
    0m 13.90s: got bdmv
    0m 14.01s: got agid
    0m 14.29s: sent host cert chal
    0m 14.61s: got drive cert chal
    0m 15.03s: got drive key
    0m 15.03s: got host key signature
    0m 15.03s: verified drive signature
    0m 15.03s: verified host signature
    0m 15.56s: sent host signature and key point
    0m 15.56s: got bus key
    0m 15.61s: got volume id
    0m 15.61s: got volume id mac
    0m 15.61s: volume id is correct
    0m 15.61s: got vid
    0m 16.39s: got vuk
    0m 16.39s: got unit key 1
    0m 24.36s: got extended bdinfo
    1m 21.68s: begin mobile work ...
    1m 21.68s: create config(5)
    1m 21.70s: convert profile(mp4.h264.aac)
    1m 21.70s: blu-ray playlist(100) angle(0) chapter(1->31)
    1m 21.70s: stream(4113,VC-1,1) stream(4352,DTS-HD MA,1)
    1m 21.70s: device(mp4) format(mp4)
    1m 21.71s: try to use gpu acceleration(1) for video decoding
    1m 21.71s: CUDA GPU acceleration for video decoding enabled
    3m 44.89s: cancel all mobile work
    Last edited by rshillshooter81; 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM. Reason: log

Originally posted by rshillshooter81 View Post
    I just wanna convert the damn dvd.
    Just to be clear, you are talking about the Blu-Ray (BD) not a DVD?

You might want to include information from the Help Us Help You sticky thread at the top of the forum, especially the log files.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post

You might want to include information from the Help Us Help You sticky thread at the top of the forum, especially the log files.

Yeah, sorry about that, I mean Blu-Ray. Sorry I forgot to include the text of the Log File.

BTW, it will run for hours and hours and hours if I enable the second scan that I spoke about, the only avail for me is to cancel it.

Comment

At first, I would suggest to turn CUDA acceleration off and do conversion on "software" only. It would be slow and painful
        I do have same problem. You should see quality on BR to MKV option - it's unbearable.
        I communicated with developers, and sounds like they are aware of the issue and working on it. It also, looks like we having GPUs that are too good. Just for kick of it, I would suggest to "downgrade" your card by turning off multi-GPU option and turn off SLI as well.
        In addition to all of that, I change decoding settings as well. Now, even slow, but it does produce OK content.
        sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
        For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
        Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Complication View Post

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
          At first, I would suggest to turn CUDA acceleration off and do conversion on "software" only. It would be slow and painful
          I do have same problem. You should see quality on BR to MKV option - it's unbearable.
          I communicated with developers, and sounds like they are aware of the issue and working on it. It also, looks like we having GPUs that are too good. Just for kick of it, I would suggest to "downgrade" your card by turning off multi-GPU option and turn off SLI as well.
          In addition to all of that, I change decoding settings as well. Now, even slow, but it does produce OK content.

It's odd to me that CUDA would cause a problem by having the second pass enabled..... You'd think it not care how many passes it does regardless of the system , if it works fine with 1 pass, why does it care if there is 2 or 15 passes?

Do you have Sherlock Holmes Bluray?

I'm okay with turning all of the Cuda and SLI ect off, i'm used to 2 1/2 hour rips with the previous way I was converting them anyway.

I just want the same or better quality as MakeMKV+Handbrake.

What settings did you change for the decoding?

EDIT: I have confirmed that anytime CUDA is enabled and you select Second Pass it causes the same issue regardless of what Blu-Ray I've got in the drive. I don't even know if Second Pass fixes my orignal problem of how crappy it looked with a 3.2gb file. lol
          Last edited by rshillshooter81; 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

rshillshooter81,
            All I was saying in my previous post was in regards to 1-pass process. 2-pass is not working at all. period. I told Ting about that, and he said he will check tomorrow.... that was one month and two Betas ago...
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

You'd think this would have been addressed by now. Regardless wouldn't you think (1) Pass would look the same if not better than what Handbrake makes... What's odd to me is that with Handbrake I would guess this movie to be around 2GB that is MUCH higher quality vs 1 pass DVDfab at 3.2GB, I also think Handbrake includes Stereo + AC3 Passthru in that 2GB file.... *scratches head*

Well as soon as these things can be worked out, I'll glady give these guys my money, I'm sick of using multiple programs to convert stuff for my AppleTV's

Comment

Well, I have to agree and disagree with you. First of all, size isn't it. (I almost said size doesn't matter
                It goes in detail far beyond size/bitrate. In HandBrake (I strongly dislike this program) you can manipulate some of the parameters, you can do it even more precisely in Me (I like this program), DVDFab, on another hand, have "cookie cutter" settings with limited changing options. Yea, they are saying you can go to presets and change them.... so I did. I took same source and set exactly same settings on Me and DVDFab. Result are astonishing: quality of video after Me processing is crisp and nearly perfect, quality after DVDFab was acceptable, but far from what Me were produced. To be fare, I did that test without CUDA (Me don't have CUDA capability). These results tells me that codec in DVDFab is very loose. Also, I ran same settings with CUDA on DVDFab and observe sharp quality decrease, which tells me that an addition
                to codec looseness, DVDFab having an issue with CUDA management. Mix them together and you've got what you've got. I've talk to developer, and his answer was quick and conclusive - it's all my hardware problem....
                So, I do however have a faith in DVDFab, I invested money into it.... and at this point I can only say - patience, we'll get there.

Originally posted by rshillshooter81 View Post
                You'd think this would have been addressed by now. Regardless wouldn't you think (1) Pass would look the same if not better than what Handbrake makes... What's odd to me is that with Handbrake I would guess this movie to be around 2GB that is MUCH higher quality vs 1 pass DVDfab at 3.2GB, I also think Handbrake includes Stereo + AC3 Passthru in that 2GB file.... *scratches head*

Well as soon as these things can be worked out, I'll glady give these guys my money, I'm sick of using multiple programs to convert stuff for my AppleTV's
                sigpic

Comment

[redacted] I just want this stupid sherlock holmes to rip in good quality im almost sick of it enough to buy it from the itunes store.
                  Last edited by Complication; 04-29-2010, 08:37 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate question

Comment

Reminder: This is a DVDFab forum and discussion of other software is not permitted.

Comment

Can someone provide an update on the bluray to mobile (specifically Apple TV & Mp4) progress? There are so many bugs and can't find a decent way to convert

Comment

Working...
                      X