X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Subtitles

Hi...

I'm not going to gripe again about the lack of ipad support on BD->Mobile, although I just contributed $130US for Blu-Ray->Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray-Mobile and I can't actually convert anything yet :-(

My question is about subtitles. Using my recently purchased upgrade to Blu-ray->Mobile to make mkv files and handbrake which WILL convert for the ipad..... I m having a LOT of trouble with subtitles.

Does DVDFab embed the subtitles when it makes mkv files? If not, why? All I want to do is make an ipad version of a Blu-Ray, and when someone speaks a foreign language, the subtitle appears.... like it does with DVD->Mobile.

I could really use some help on this....... Thanks!

Subs you are talking about are always a hard subs ( they are part of the picture ). So, in main "Blu-ray to Mobile" to MKV window on right bottomish side you will see options for subpicture - please select language you want and tick "Display only forced subpicture" Forced subpicture is a hard subs. In this case, if anybody speaks foreign language in that movie, and director was kind enough to share translation of this conversation with us, you will see the subs.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Stewie
      I know for a fact you can render the subs on top with blu ray to mobile mkv. You however do not have an option through the passthough setting. With the original profile you can with the mkv.hds264.audiocopy in the subpicture drop down box instead of extract do direct render to video. Also note the resolution is by default 1920x1080 just bring it down to the 1280x720 setting and it should be good to go. I know the the mp4 setting is compatible with the ipad. I would say go with the mp4 setting first. With the same settings in the edit menu. Also like Ipopov said try the forced subs button as well.

If you are trying to get soft subs on the ipad i wish you luck. The support for pgs/sub files is lacking among most hardware and software. Dvdfab can extract this files and render them with no issues. There are a bunch of people working on different ways to convert them but the end results are just okay. You have to take the extracted sub/idx through a long process which includes manual edit through an ORC based program. This is just to get it to an .srt file. You can try to take them through a Sub to sup process and try you luck with hand brake.(no manual editing for sub to sup just another orc program google it)

Any way I wish you luck

Cheers!
      Last edited by directeeccks; 04-29-2010, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Only catch I have is the mp4 has horrible stuttering that's been there since day one of Blu-Ray to Mobile and is still there.

Any advice on that one?

Comment

directeeccks,

Tried what you recommended. Set to h.264/audiocopy, then edited the profile and selected to render subtitles to video. Went back to the main screen and made sure to check english subtitles and then selected only display forced subtitles.

Did it twice and no avatar subtitles.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help

Comment

Stewie,

I am stumped as to why it is not rendering to your video. It should render to the video. I only used it once and it worked. Can anyone else confirm this with avatar please? I have not bought my copy yet.

Well all i can suggest now is google the srt file for avatar. Find a way to get the srt to text/tx3g(only acceptable format from what i read for soft subs on ipad) Then use handbrake to mux them together. Note that you may not be able to turn the subs off. Their are alot of forums with this info. Just it seems to be a very painful process and are very unclear on some parts.

I think their are some 3rd party freeware that may be able to render the external srt to you vid but have not check due to I need to have it soft subbed.

One more thing if you live in the U.S. your copy of avatar had the dvd too. Try DvdFab with the dvd then dvd to mobile with the original process just with the dvd. I mean the ipad is only a 10inch screen at a max of 720p. It might be alot less painful if you can deal with 480p and alot less time consuming. As well with the tech of bluray just finally really getting into full swing you may just have to wait for more support as far as the subs go. Same goes for the ipad. Its just too new as well how many people cant afford one that you can really justify putting a 720p as term a hdd space.

I am pretty sure the the Fab team will be working or is working on a good profile for the ipad/slate devices since by late this year the slate style will be the next big thing.

Anyway I wish you luck

lol if this keeps up I may become the go to guy for sub advice

Cheers!

Comment

Oh one more thing I wanted you to check out or try. I read a recent post that may point to the issue being for the the original rip you had made using Fab. Look at Ipopov last comment.http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?t=5189 This may be the issue that the forced subtitles are no longer force because you where making a mkv from the your back up.

1. Try to rip the original again.(Maybe just due a chapter where the navi speak is there and it will save time since its just a test) With the specs of what Ipopov says.

2. Then continue to blu to mobile with the settings as I mention before.

3. Cross your fingers and hope.

Just to cheer you up. All other softwares are having more major issue with Avatar then Fab is. So you have made the right choice. You just have to wait while the team gets this thing polished as much as their dvd section of their software. To me there is no alternative.

Anyway cheers!

P.S. If the main movie/one chapter thing doesnt work. Also note from the post it not as much an issue with full disk. So full disk may only option then to blu to mobile. BD+ what a pain huh?
              Last edited by directeeccks; 05-01-2010, 04:12 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
                With the specs of what Ipopov says.
                It worked for me.
                sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
                For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
                Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Working...
                X