This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) BD vs Standard

I've been ripping and compressing all of my movies for streaming at home. I've got around 500 or so movies done, and love DVDFab... I just recently finished all my standard definition movies and have "thought" about starting on my Blu Ray movies. However, I have a couple of questions for those of you that are already doing this.

What format do the videos end up in? Are they the same options as standard def? I've been using WMV10 (Because of the the surround audio, and because I stream to an XBox 360). Is WMV10 an option?

What happens if you attempt to play a BD rip on a non-HD player, what is the result? I currently share all of my movies across multiple players in the house - some of which are not HD. What is going to happen? Seems like a waste to have a standard and HD version, but I'll do it if necessary I guess (until I can convince the wife to upgrade our entire house to HD!)

What is the average file size that each movie ends up as? Currently most of my Standard Def movies are at most 2 Gig.... I have plenty of space, but am just trying to project my total hard drive needs so I don't run out in the middle!

Thanks!

Jason

Jason,

1.What format do the videos end up in? What ever format you need for your hardware since dvd fab caters to different containers in bluray to moblie.
    2.Are they the same options as standard def? Well in bluray to mobile almost the same amount of options. As far as blu ray to bluray vs dvd to dvd is no not yet at least.
    3.Is WMV10 an option? Well in bluray to mobile Im sure you can configure it to your needs as far as container.
    4.What happens if you attempt to play a BD rip on a non-HD player, what is the result?
    If its a bd rip/disk then it will not play play in like a dvd player. This is not really a visible way to watch bd anyway without hdmi. Now I have heard of some dvd players supporting hi def files but im not sure.
    5.I currently share all of my movies across multiple players in the house - some of which are not HD. What is going to happen? You can stream hd file to sd def tele's but you need something like an xbox 360/ps3 or some kind of set top that is capable of streaming there. You sd def tv will still get a sd picture. Same goes for if you dont stream.
    6.What is the average file size that each movie ends up as?This depends on what quality you want. Being that its bluray there is no point in trying to shrink it down to less the 4 gigs at the very least. I have compressed down to 8 gigs and had very good video quality but its a give and take situations with that. Most bluray range from 15 to 35 gigs a peice without compression. Avatar though is like 44gigs so be prepared for some big ones.

My parting note to you is streaming hi def video can be done but you can expect some shuttering in picture due to the bitrate over your network. Now this doesnt happen all the time but it is one of the most common complaints. Depending on how you want it all set up you may need to look into different set top boxes that support the majority of codecs. Besides all of that dont reconvert blurays you buy down to sd just to get them to steam. Its not worth the time. I think you should talk your wife into upgrading tv as well as your means to play them. Well i hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by directeeccks View Post
      My parting note to you is streaming hi def video can be done but you can expect some shuttering in picture due to the bitrate over your network. Now this doesnt happen all the time but it is one of the most common complaints.
      On a wired gigabyte network you should have no studdering. Trying to run a 45GB file over wireless - I had serious studdering..

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. Yes, I agree, the Xbox needs to be replaced with a better player, but it works for now.

However, I am running over wired gigabit, so I should not have too many bandwidth issues.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X