X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on DVD to mobile please

Hiya guys.
    I have been ripping my collection to a harddrive to play on a 55 inch tv,using generic avi settings. Each file is about 1.3gigs.
    I need some advice about what container/settings to use such as avi or somthing I think is called H264. I am happy with my current rips but I may be missing something better.

auge_28,
    what you need is a good balance between what you have and what you can afford. But I can tell you upfront, AVI file size 1.3 Gig is a standard size for the mobile/small screen devices. It's not anywhere near to a decent content for 55' TV. We all having our own perceptions of a "good quality" video, but this is not anywhere near to an "acceptable" quality. It is my opinion, and there are people who ready jump up and start arguing with me...
    AVI container is also not the best one, IMO. It's old and it's dead. Yet still popular with people who ready to argue my point above. And my message to them is this - respect yourself...
    However, in your case, decision should be driven by player and storage/media. My view ideal setup is this:
    (1) Multiformat media player. My choice is WD TV. This player can play virtually anything (including AVI).
    (2) Storage. WD external harddrives. You can go with 2T ($130 in Costco), large, stationary; or pocket-size 1T ($130 in Costco). Advantage of little ones is mobility and no need in external power supply (they are USB powered).
    (3) Container. My preference is MKV. By far it's the best container out there. Period.

And BTW, H264 is not a container, it's codec.

If you would need any further details, recommendations, etc. do not hesitate to ask on this forum. Mods and Members on this forum are very helpful and friendly.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by IPopov50; 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM.
    sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
    For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
    Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question . . . but know I have more . . .

I have had my eye on the WD HD LIVE for a while, I hear you can hook up several drives to a hub.

Would you mind sharing your MKV settings so I can try them out.

You should know that I have SEVERAL DvDs, so space is important, I have no problem buying 2 or 3 1TB drives if need be. How many do you fit on a 1TB drive?

Comment

For MKV from DVD's, I use the original resolution of the TV, audiocopy audio and retain the Dolby Digital 5.1 and 1400Kb video bitrate. I find this acceptable on my Samsung 52" HD TV which I sit 5 meters (16 ft) away from.

This gives me files of approx 1.5 Gb so you should be able to fit around 700 movies on a 1Tb drive.

See how that works for you.
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I agree with GregiBoy's solution conceptually, but it isn't working for me. I recreating "remux" kinda conversion from DVD to MKV - main movie only though. I scan DVD first to see what bitrate, aspect, etc. and recreating these settings in "generic.mkv.h264.audiocopy" profile.
          I think quality of DVD video is bad enough, and trim it even further.... doesn't work for me.
          Using my scenario however, you will be able to put only about 200 movies on your 1T drive.
          Last edited by IPopov50; 06-07-2010, 06:13 AM.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

IP,

As I say in my "best Practice: DVD to Mobile" thread, always test this yourself to see what you are happy with, and you have obviously done that.

I will say you must have good eyes, a huge TV and sit 3 feet away from it as old farts such as Maineman & I cannot pick the difference at normal viewing distance.
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I use the settings from that thread for my AVIs and they seem to work fine for me, once I figured out how to turn off auto cropping.
              I made an MKV but it took freaking 8 hours that is unreasonable . . . But it looks nice.

Comment

Working...
              X