This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other WD TV Live HD

I just purchased two of these media players and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I will be backing all my BD to a HD and streaming them on my private network. What is going to be the best process for converting BD to stream? Can I just rip the BD using the Main movie option and then play it or will i need to convert it some way? Hard drive space is not an issue so size does not matter? It's all about quality for me! I've been using the PS3 to view my backups over the network but thougth this might be better, do to the limitations of the PS3 be able to only play certin type of video and audio files. Any input would be great.

thanks
    jay

ps. I used the search option for WD TV LIVE and the results were weak.

My good friend IPopov50 should be able to assist you on this and I am sure that he will tell you to use MKV Remux.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@GregiBoy
      Hahahahah Gregi, it's hilarious. You are know me too well, and that's scary. I have to tell my wife that she's not the one anymore who knows me....

@LankyHank888
      Yep, as GregiBoy said, you've got a soulmate here. Yes, MKV is the only way to go!!!!
      About remux, I have only one concern, and my concern based on your phrase "...and streaming them on my private network". If your private network is wired, and you will stream over wires, then you'll be OK, but if your network is wireless, then it wouldn't work.
      And I will explain you why. "Remux" is a process of re-packing your video content from BD container into MKV container. During this process you can transfer your movie only or entire content of a BD, or anywhere in between into MKV. I personally transferring only main movie and leave everything else behind. As a result - reduction in size. After all, who cares about all these extras stupid trailers and commercials - it just a waste of space. So at the end of the process you will have your content intact, not compressed or altered in any way. BD movies these day having a very high bitrate (up to 30-35 Mbps), which wireless transmission can not handle. As a result, you will be pissed at me, this forum, and even poor GregiBoy. And we don't want it.
      So, please let me know if your network is wireless and we will continue this exercise. If it's wired, I pretty much answered your question. However, if I missed something please let me know here or via PM and I will be more than happy to help you.

Oh!, and welcome to the club of proud owners of WD TV!!!!!!!!! WD rocks (this is for GregiBoy!!!!)
      sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
      For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
      Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

WD is a POS !!!!!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

@IP

You also forgot to mention that this needs to be done with the "Blu-Ray to Mobile" module.

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            @IP

You also forgot to mention that this needs to be done with the "Blu-Ray to Mobile" module.
            Oh yea, thanks GregiBoy. Sometimes you forgetting about something seems so obvious. Dropped it here, guilty.
            BTW, POS is too strong for something that's above everything else.
            Last edited by IPopov50; 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
            sigpic

Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Re POS, what else have you tried?

As I say, I am continually testing new products for development & importing and can be testing up to 10 different players at any one time so I get to see most.

To me these are my major criterea for a 'Top End" player.

Must be able to play Full HD MKV's such as in your "Remux" process at FULL HD on a HD TV when connected by either HDMI or Component.
              Must be HDMI 1.1 & 1.2 backwards compatible
              Must support up to 2 Tb HDD internally
              Must support NTFS file system on internal & external drives
              Must have network capabilities (both wired & wireless)
              Minimum of 1 USB 2.0 port (preferably 2)
              Must act as a Network Attached Storage device.
              Must be able to stream from a uPnP server such as Twonky/TVersity

Nice to have's
              BitTorrent Client
              FTP Server
              uPnP Server

I won't go into the full details of all of these features but I am speaking from the experience of developing, beta testing, importing and marketing literally thousands of players to the Australian marketplace over the last 8 years.

Comment

I won't go into the full details of all of these features but I am speaking from the experience of developing, beta testing, importing and marketing literally thousands of players to the Australian marketplace over the last 8 years.
                I'm not really arguing with you. Considering your background, arguing with you would be just plain stupid. However, I like my POS WD TV and I'm happy, and I'm satisfied.
                sigpic

Comment

Nah, I'm not arguing either.

All that I am pointing out is that as users of this technology gain more experience and they see what is available, their requirements change.

This is also occurring as this marketplace is becoming more mature.

Comment

To me these are my major criterea for a 'Top End" player...
                    What brands would you recommend (that won't break the bank)?

Comment

Background...
                      I was thinking of getting a WDTV for convenience of storing multiple BD movies (to a hard drive wired to the WDTV), instead of having to insert individual BD's and wait for them to load. I don't yet have a WDTV or any BD components of DVDFab.

1. Since you can't get a perfect 1:1 BD to hard disk copy that will work with WDTV, is there a noticeable loss in quality using MKV, to the point that I would be happier if I just played the actual Blu-ray disk instead of viewing it through WDTV?

2. Assuming the answer for #1 is 'No' (the quality is virtually indistinguishable), are there any tips on optimum settings for conversion (or do I just go with the defaults)?

3. About how large is a BD movie when converted?

Comment

Originally posted by corpcon View Post
                        Background...
                        I was thinking of getting a WDTV for convenience of storing multiple BD movies (to a hard drive wired to the WDTV), instead of having to insert individual BD's and wait for them to load. I don't yet have a WDTV or any BD components of DVDFab.
                        This is an excellent idea regardless what brand and/or make of media pleer you will use. The concept is great.

1. Since you can't get a perfect 1:1 BD to hard disk copy that will work with WDTV, is there a noticeable loss in quality using MKV, to the point that I would be happier if I just played the actual Blu-ray disk instead of viewing it through WDTV?
                        This is absolutely not true!!!! This statement is incorrect. You can make 1:1 copy to your HDD in several different ways. You actually have an array of containers and options to choose from without any loss of a single bite of your picture. Using DVDFab you can create ISO (picture, image) of your BD and place it on your HDD, or you can make ISO containing only main movie without any loss, or you can re-pack your BD into MKV container with or without (remux) compression of your content. My personal preference is MKV container.

2. Assuming the answer for #1 is 'No' (the quality is virtually indistinguishable), are there any tips on optimum settings for conversion (or do I just go with the defaults)?
                        I can only share my preferences, but every one has its own thoughts and preferences. Anyway, as I said my preference and my love is MKV container. Every media player in a world can read MKVs, but not everyone can deal with ISOs. The only downside of this container (yet) it can't support menus, but it's coming. So, since I don't care about any extras on BD (I can only watch it once), I converting all my BDs into MKV using DVDFab "Blu-ray to Mobile". There are two options for it compressed and uncompressed (remux). If you are so picky on quality, remux is your option. But remember, you most likely wouldn't be able to stream this content over wireless network because bitrate is too high, and size of the file will be large - almost same as original BD. Or you can go with compressed scenario (that's what I do). You can reduce bitrate down to 8-10 Mbps and create file size about 8-10 Gig. IMO, this bitrate is plenty to support quality with hardly noticeable loss. (hardly noticeable, meaning you have to really know what and where to look for to notice). Besides, bitrate is far from being quality determined factor. With right compression algorithm and codec settings you can get nearly original quality results with bitrates as low as 2 Mbps. But this is topic for another discussion....
                        Also, you can play with sound, aspect rate and resolution to create suitable for you content. In regards to sound, I always removing HD overhead leaving only core (using "remove HD audio" option). HD sound creates all kind of problems, eats a lot of space and useless for me because I don't have HD sound equipment anyway.

3. About how large is a BD movie when converted?
                        I answered this one above ^^. If it remux, almost as an original disc (a few gigs less), if compressed - lowest reasonable is around 5 gig, but it's just too low for me.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
                          This is absolutely not true!!!! This statement is incorrect. You can make 1:1 copy to your HDD in several different ways.
                          Sorry ... My bad. It was mentioned earlier that you had to use BD to Mobile. But it appears I took that out of context. I guess you were just specifically talking about converting to MKV.

Thanks for the detailed insight. Immensely appreciated.

Comment

thanks for all the GREG and POP! You answered my question. I will be using a wired connection. One thing I'm confused about; Will the WD player connect to twonky? here are Gregs criteria but it doesnt state what it does and does not do??

To me these are my major criterea for a 'Top End" player.

Must be able to play Full HD MKV's such as in your "Remux" process at FULL HD on a HD TV when connected by either HDMI or Component.
                            Must be HDMI 1.1 & 1.2 backwards compatible
                            Must support up to 2 Tb HDD internally
                            Must support NTFS file system on internal & external drives
                            Must have network capabilities (both wired & wireless)
                            Minimum of 1 USB 2.0 port (preferably 2)
                            Must act as a Network Attached Storage device.
                            Must be able to stream from a uPnP server such as Twonky/TVersity

thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by LankyHank888 View Post
                              thanks for all the GREG and POP! You answered my question. I will be using a wired connection. One thing I'm confused about; Will the WD player connect to twonky?

WD TV Live should, but I'm not sure... please check it yourself.
                              I'm using WD TV connected to my receiver with HDMI; I'm not streaming. As I said earlier, I have setup that fits my needs and wants, so, I'm happy.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X