X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BD Ripper (3D Plus) Sweet Spot for Blu-Ray to Mobile

Hello all,

I have been a DVD to Mobile user for some time now. The settings I have been using for my rips are:
    generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
    High quality encoding (2-pass)
    Fix Bitrate: 2000 kpbs
    Everything else defaults

These settings seem to bring the closet quality to the original DVDs with the most reasonable size (the average rip will come in around 1.5 GB to 2 GB).

I am starting to experiment with Blu-Ray to Mobile. I am having a hard time finding the “sweet spot” for these as I did with the DVDs. Because the original source quality is so good, it doesn’t matter what settings I seem to use. So far I’ve been using:
    mkv.h264.audiocopy
    High quality encoding (2-pass)
    Fix Bitrate: been playing with 5000 up to 8000 kpbs
    Size Supported by Device
    1920x1080 (I'm using 1080 because I watch my movies on a large TV)
    Everything else defaults

I realize these settings are purely objective, but I would love to know what others are using so I can use that as a base for my testing to find my ideals.

Side note question, is there any advantage to using the MKV container over AVI?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Have a read of IPopov's post here for some thoughts on MKV's.

There are distinct advantages in using MKV instead of AVI. It is a newer, developing container and does not have some of the restrictions that apply to AVI... eg: OpenDML specs of AVI limit the filesize to 2Gb and some players will not play the file.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Good read GregiBoy. So MKV is definitly the container to use. Still not sure about my file size though. He says around 5 GB is too small for him (which is around the 5000-6000 kpbs mark). I guess I will just do more playing around with bitrates to see what looks good.

Comment

Working...
      X