X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Ripper Ripping DVD's to my HD for streaming

Hello guys,

I have always used DVDfab for making my own DVD copies and now am looking to rip them to my HD and stream them onto my living room setup through my Xbox360. I read Gregiboy's link on this but am wondering about the settings for the compression & audio.

I have a large 61" JVC LcOS Tv so I need the files ripped at DVD quality(size is not a concern, large external drives are cheap) and need to maintain the 5.1 sound from each movie.

What settings should I use and how do I change them?

Thanks!
    Brandon

I am not familiar with the XBox and what formats that it will play.

To be honest, I would not restrict yourself to the XBox as there are a variety of Media Players in the marketplace sub $100 and they will play most formats.

For DVD's using my various players to a Samsung 52" HDTV, and also from feedback from others, the Samsung Profile that I have posted in the "New Profiles" section gets the thumbs up. This is H264 Audiocopy at around 1500 bitrate and at the native DVD resolution.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

I have not streamed to my XBox 360 for sometime but the Xbox mobile conversion is pretty good also give the VOB Passthrough a try but I not remember if that was playable on the Xbox or not

Comment

Thanks guys. If I use the xbox mobile feature, what other conversion settings do I need to adjust for better quality and to keep the 5.1 audio? I am trying that feature now, but winged the settings

Greg,
        The xbox is mostly just compatible with WMV files.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbwb View Post

I have a large 61" JVC LcOS Tv so I need the files ripped at DVD quality(size is not a concern, large external drives are cheap) and need to maintain the 5.1 sound from each movie.

What settings should I use and how do I change them?

Thanks!
          Brandon
          A while ago I dealt with a member with Xbox 360 and his issues. He uses WMV format for streaming through Xbox. There are two profiles - wmv9 and wmv10. You should experiment and try with those. Remember, for a large screen like yours you will need all bitrate you can get. I would suggest to check with Xbox specs, what max bitrate it can handle and go as close to max as you can.
          sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
          For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
          Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by IPopov50 View Post
            A while ago I dealt with a member with Xbox 360 and his issues. He uses WMV format for streaming through Xbox. There are two profiles - wmv9 and wmv10. You should experiment and try with those. Remember, for a large screen like yours you will need all bitrate you can get. I would suggest to check with Xbox specs, what max bitrate it can handle and go as close to max as you can.
            Here is some info someone else posted.....
            4. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for WMV (VC-1)?

Xbox 360 supports the following for WMV:

· File Extensions: .wmv

· Container: asf

· Video Profiles: WMV7 (WMV1), WMV8 (WMV2), WMV9 (WMV3), VC-1 (WVC1 or WMVA) in simple, main, and advanced up to Level 3

· Video Bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.

· Audio Profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless

· Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions. See question number 11 for more information.

I made dozens on WVC1 reencodes from HDDVD/Bluray. These Values are proven. 2pass VBR Peak above ~13Mbps will not running smooth, especially for 1080p
            When you want high Bitrate for 1080p encodes better use CBR Mode where you easily can go up to ~18Mbps

I pers use 2pass VBR Peak (12Mbps) for 720p encodes and 1pass CBR (+12Mbps) for 1080p

Based on this info, what setting can I use to maintain the DVD quality?

Thanks!

Comment

It seems Xbox would handle DVD native bitrate without any problems. Unlike Blu-ray, bitrate of a DVD content is very mild - 5-6 Mbps. You have plenty of room using pretty much any settings. Otherwise, this post is pretty clear and detailed.
              sigpic

Please post your logs the default location is:

For Win7 C:\Users\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For Vista C:\Users\User Name\Documents\DVDFab\Log
              For XP C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log
              Please use attachment button and attach your most recent, Internal log and post right here.

Comment

I thought that it would also play AVI files....

Originally posted by bigbwb View Post
                Thanks guys. If I use the xbox mobile feature, what other conversion settings do I need to adjust for better quality and to keep the 5.1 audio? I am trying that feature now, but winged the settings

Greg,
                The xbox is mostly just compatible with WMV files.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Working...
                X