This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other Media Player Suggestions

Gregiboy, sorry for the post here i tryed to pm you but it sed you do not accept pm's.
    I am looking for a new media player i use the ps3 and have 2 wdtv live boxes and i am not impressed with them. I know you test them and i was wondering what you would recomend?? I have ben looking at the popcorn hour a-200 and also popbox. is there any you LOVE that is avail here in the us?????
    Thanks...............
    Last edited by GregiBoy; 06-24-2010, 08:40 PM. Reason: Title changed

Well, I am not impressed with the Pop stuff either.

Why are you not impressed with the WD's? Please expound what you feel are the shortcomings.

Then maybe I may have more of an idea what you are looking for.

My current favourites are the E9HD and E8HD from www.measy.com.cn but I don't know if they are available in the US but last time I was talking to the manufacturer they said that they had done a deal with BestBuy.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
      Well, I am not impressed with the Pop stuff either.

Why are you not impressed with the WD's? Please expound what you feel are the shortcomings.

Then maybe I may have more of an idea what you are looking for.

My current favourites are the E9HD and E8HD from www.measy.com.cn but I don't know if they are available in the US but last time I was talking to the manufacturer they said that they had done a deal with BestBuy.
      Originaly I put all my dvd's to single vob files and streem them to ps3 with ps3media server. Then the wife and i decided to put streemers in the boys room and ours i did some looking and went with the wdtv live. It played ok but then i noticed that some movies would pause or go to FF for no reason. I thaught they must be bad files so i redid them same problem. Then I read on wd's forum to put vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder so i did and same thing so i went with just a dvd rip and kept them in same folder as they was (VIDEO_TS) and the same files would "SKIP" or judder for a sec in the same spot as they would freez (about 10sec from where the vob's are split) I called WD and they sed it was not possable for the files to skip or judder if the dvd wad placed in the proper VIDEO_TS folder. So long story short after that they sed if i dont like it to return it or wait for a firmware update that may fix it if they can duplicate the problem. And there are a few others i see out there with the same problem and when you look at the forum there are lots of unhappy people with issues that are not resolved and mabie 2 people trying to stick up for WD.
      All I want is a simple media player with no major issues to play simple media (dvd) files and no lipsync problems.(alot of wd customers are complaning about that)
      Thanks in advance...................

Comment

Sorry I forgot to say all the movies play fine in single file .VOB format with the PS3 so i know the files are good and all rips and .VOB passthrough has ben done with DVDFAB.

Comment

Are you using wireless or do you have them hardwired? I have found that wireless is just not up to streaming reliably. I usually use something like Netgear's Powerline afdaptors instead.

Also, from what I have tried & read, the WD's are far happier with MKV's than VOB's. Give that a shot & see what happens.
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Comment

Originally posted by GregiBoy View Post
            Are you using wireless or do you have them hardwired? I have found that wireless is just not up to streaming reliably. I usually use something like Netgear's Powerline afdaptors instead.

Also, from what I have tried & read, the WD's are far happier with MKV's than VOB's. Give that a shot & see what happens.
            All hardwired cat5e and i hav read the mkv deal what scares me though is the threads with audio sync issues I now have 300 plus dvds and dont want to spend the time encoding if audio sync is in play i have done a few mkv's and play ok just scared to jump the gun on 300+ encodes if most wont work right.

Comment

I encode to MKV's & AVI's all the time without sync problems. Currently have over 1000 of them, mostly AVI's as I only started encodeing to MKV's when the players started to support them.

As a general comment, I think most A/V sync problems revolves around WMV formats.

Comment

I have a WDTV and so does my father, we don't have any issues. We normally play mostly .mkv and .mp4 though.

...you could try renaming your .vob to .mpeg file extension and see if you don't get a different result?

Comment

Working...
                X